Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
904 Posts
First sorry if I am totally a dumb nut for this question I've only had standard transmissions.

The sending unit is just a sensor so that you can track the ATF temperature correct? Is this something that would be prudent for someone with a standard transmission or really only relevant to automatics?

·
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Someone else can explain better than I, but I only know of autos having temp monitoring.

No one trying to learn is dumb. I like you am greatly benefited by asking questions that seem known.

·
Administrator
10,684 Posts
We're all here on ROF to learn and to help others. On some popular Jeep Forums if you ask a beginner question there is a good chance of being ridiculed or dismissed as one not worthy of their sage and perfect advice.

The auto tranny temp sensor is buried inside the tranny somewhere and communicates directly with the PCM, there is no outside access to the sender. A Chrysler engineering 'bonus' is you can't monitor the tranny temperature from a scan tool. Many (me included) added a bung to the tranny pan for a temperature sender and a gauge.

Not sure if that answers your question or not.

·
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
It's my understanding that my Scangauge won't read tranny temps in my TJ. Has something changed or is there another cost effective reader like it? That's why I hard wired a reading setup.

I think Chris the OP was also wondering about the need for temp monitoring the standard transmission.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts