Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some post here, Medic's skids and how you need to get a 1'' Body Lift, and another post about getting bigger tires say up to and bigger than 33''. I have come to the conclusion that putting a 1'' Body Lift will not hurt the Rubicon, and that I should call a man by the name of Mike (I think it was Mike) at Tom Woods for a CV joint/shaft. I want to get a Rubicon Express, say a 3 1/2 lift along with the 1 inch body lift if it's not to hard to do. I should then just go ahead and purchase a CV driveshaft extension fro Tom Woods. Is putting on one of these hard? I know nothing about them other than the basic purpose of having one, ie vibes, etc. So if I am going to purchase a lift and a body lift why not and go ahead and buy a CV shortie thingy? Any help here.

Oh and by the way I did get my Rubicon last week. :)

I love the tight feel of the suspension. I want a little bit of a lift, not to much. I am a short dude, 5'5''.

Thanks in advance,
Big as a Mountain

PS any news on a better skid? Does R.E.'s lift come with a skid and is it any good?

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
BigasaMountain said:
I was reading some post here, Medic's skids and how you need to get a 1'' Body Lift, and another post about getting bigger tires say up to and bigger than 33''. I have come to the conclusion that putting a 1'' Body Lift will not hurt the Rubicon, and that I should call a man by the name of Mike (I think it was Mike) at Tom Woods for a CV joint/shaft. I want to get a Rubicon Express, say a 3 1/2 lift along with the 1 inch body lift if it's not to hard to do. I should then just go ahead and purchase a CV driveshaft extension fro Tom Woods. Is putting on one of these hard? I know nothing about them other than the basic purpose of having one, ie vibes, etc. So if I am going to purchase a lift and a body lift why not and go ahead and buy a CV shortie thingy? Any help here.

Oh and by the way I did get my Rubicon last week. :)

I love the tight feel of the suspension. I want a little bit of a lift, not to much. I am a short dude, 5'5''.

Thanks in advance,
Big as a Mountain

PS any news on a better skid? Does R.E.'s lift come with a skid and is it any good?
Congratulations on getting your new Rubi. Wheel it well.

A BL is an easy instal, but be advised you will have to raise the motor mounts or raise fan shroud when you do the BL. The fan shroud (and radiator) is mounted to the body.

You did not state if you were interested in the RE long arm (Extreme Duty) or standard lift. The long arm comes with a new skid, but it is a significant investment that you would probably want a pro to install. The standard lift can be accomplished by someone with resonable mechanical skills and tools. I'll let the RE experts advise you on this.

I would suggest you install your lift first, and then see if you have vibes before ordering the CV shaft. Until you install your lift, you will not be able to measure the correct length fot your new shaft.

Regarding being short, do not worry. This is elff's Rubi. It has a 5.5 inch RE long arm lift with 33 inch tires. He will soon have 35s on it . You are taller than he is.

Jerry

·
Registered
467 Posts
i would advise doing the MML over raising the fan shroud. i raised the shroud and it was a pain in the butt. i think i could have done the MML more easily and in less time.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
i would advise doing the MML over raising the fan shroud. i raised the shroud and it was a pain in the butt. i think i could have done the MML more easily and in less time.
We both screwed up the description Mike. We lowered the shroud. I took a clue from 4x4mac. I just cut out the bottom section of the shroud. Kept me away from the radiator with a drill. :D

Jerry

·
Administrator
15,127 Posts
Tanks jerry..
i advise save the money for a MML and cut the shroud
took lesss then 3 mins to achive the proper clearence...
so far no ill effects from the Rubi surgery.
:roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, MMl this is Motor Mount Lift, right?

Is this difficult for a Rookie to do?

Cutting the fan Shroud again is this simple.

Also...If I put on a RE super flex 4'' lift, I lift the body 1'' and place the MM on, will I be clear for a "Medic skid"?

BAAM

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, When we place a RE super flex lift, should we keep the stock suspension on, meaing do we just need to add the arms and the coils & shocks?

BAAM

·
Administrator
15,127 Posts
BigasaMountain said:
Ok, MMl this is Motor Mount Lift, right?

Is this difficult for a Rookie to do?

Cutting the fan Shroud again is this simple.

Also...If I put on a RE super flex 4'' lift, I lift the body 1'' and place the MM on, will I be clear for a "Medic skid"?

BAAM
if you cut the fan shroud....no need for the MML..
i know a few that did same as me.....simple cut .
:wink:
Medic`s skid should be an awsome addition to your lift plans.

·
Administrator
15,127 Posts
BigasaMountain said:
Oh, When we place a RE super flex lift, should we keep the stock suspension on, meaing do we just need to add the arms and the coils & shocks?

BAAM
yes keep stock mounting places.....
those only get cut off if you decide to go R E long arm..
:wink:

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you are planning on the Medic skid Definatley get the MML. Not only will it help with the lift but the higher skid requires the MML to reduce driveline vibes. Actually with a 4 in RE (more like 5in if no heavy items are on the Jeep) you may also want the adj upper arms and CV driveshaft. I'll be doing a Tera 3in with the medic skid shortly and I'll let you all know if there are vibes. Hopenot cause the Credit card is maxed as it is!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts