Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I know this has been covered and i searched and found some stuff on what ppl where going to try, but no repost to say if it worked.. I just installed a body lift and motor mounts now of course haveing probs with 2nd 4th and reverse. I pushed the tranny up to the front of the Jeep and retightend the tranny mount bolts. Its better but still not as good as I would like it. So what I need to know is what the heck did you guys do that worked to fix this?? I was thinking a short throw shifter but dont have the money right now, and also a belly up skid but again dont have the money right now. I just dont want to mess up my Rubi unless I'm Wheeling her.. Any thing or Ideas would be great.. Thanx Chaz

·
Registered
75 Posts
You have to tinker with the inner shift boot- it's binding in 2/4/R. You might also experience the shift boot actually pulling 1/3/5 out of gear- I had that happen.

Pry up the out shift boot- you'll see an inner boot screwed to the tub. I found that moving the holes back about 3/8" prevented the binding. I went one step further and reloacted the entire center console back 3/8" to match so that the out shift boot lined up. Worked perfectly- this was on my old 2000 TJ 2.5L, but same scenario. The centerconsole on the 2.5L was primitive compared to the Rubicon, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to relocate the Rubicon center console.

Just get into the shift boots, shift, and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah what I have done for the time being is removed the shifter boot completely.. This I hope is a temp solution..

G

·
0 Posts
sean said:
You have to tinker with the inner shift boot- it's binding in 2/4/R. You might also experience the shift boot actually pulling 1/3/5 out of gear- I had that happen.
ditto, even on a stock 03 the shift boot is two tight. moving the center consol back a little will help.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had similar problems after my BL and MML. I ended up getting a Wheelskins shift boot. It is universal fit, thin leather and fits great. Some auto parts stores carry them but I ended up ordering one online.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just installed my body lift this weekend. What a pain in the ass, I should have done it the most simple way possible. My problems started when I decided that with the body lift, the fuel tank can be lifted and tucked closer to the body which would give more ground clearance. Well, its true but it isn't worth the work IMHO. It took me nearly 20 hours this weekend to install the body lift, lower the rad and cut and reweld the tank skid. It didn't help that my welder was crapping out so an hour or so of that was me rigging up a foot switch to start/stop the wire feed.

However, when all was said and done, my body lift cost me about $70 Can. I had a local metal shop cut up 11 2" round x 1.25" aluminum pucks. Finding 7/16" bolts was a bitch too. I will post pictures of my modified tank skid soon. Now the tailpipe is the lowest spot in the rear. I might end up having to cut/relocate it if it causes problems. Next thing to do is put in that skyjacker t-case bracket. My t-case wasn't shifting well anyway, even before the BL.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
triver525 said:
I just installed my body lift this weekend. What a pain in the ass, I should have done it the most simple way possible. My problems started when I decided that with the body lift, the fuel tank can be lifted and tucked closer to the body which would give more ground clearance. Well, its true but it isn't worth the work IMHO. It took me nearly 20 hours this weekend to install the body lift, lower the rad and cut and reweld the tank skid. It didn't help that my welder was crapping out so an hour or so of that was me rigging up a foot switch to start/stop the wire feed.

However, when all was said and done, my body lift cost me about $70 Can. I had a local metal shop cut up 11 2" round x 1.25" aluminum pucks. Finding 7/16" bolts was a bitch too. I will post pictures of my modified tank skid soon. Now the tailpipe is the lowest spot in the rear. I might end up having to cut/relocate it if it causes problems. Next thing to do is put in that skyjacker t-case bracket. My t-case wasn't shifting well anyway, even before the BL.
20hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Holy...glad to hear that you got it all done. I am interested to see the fuel tank skid also. Did you use the stock skid?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts