Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a 1" body lift is installed what is done for the engine cooling fan. Do you cut the shroud (I don't want to do that), move the shroud, or move the radiator and A/C condensor? I am undecided on the body lift because of this issue. I am thinking about adding an electric fan also. I almost overheated the engine two times on long slow climbs in extreme heat and I don't want to cause more problems.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You can do any of the things you described but I personally did a 1 inch MML with the BL..

·
Registered
188 Posts
The best by far would be the electric fan, better cooling and frees up more horse power. With the electric fan, you do not need to worry about the shroud beeing you dont use it. As for the others, it all depends on the kit. The daystar kit makes you cut the bottom of the shroud and lower it. The PA block kits has you lower the radiator. However, a motor mount lift takes care of it anyway also. If your willing to spend the money, go electric. (.02) :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
I cut the shroud, even though it didn't really look like I had to, but better to be safe than sorry I figured. Just around the bottom a little.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
You dont have to cut the shroud
Just move it.

Body went up 1"
move the shroud down 1"

all it requires is 4 new holes. My daystar kit provided screws to do this.

·
Registered
188 Posts
but elff, when you go down 1 inch, the shroud hits the lower radiator hose, at least it did on the 2 daystar lifts I did. The shroud will fit, but it rests on the hose and will cut right through it.

Maybe they changed?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I am having no problems with mine. It does touch, but that is all.
Been this way for 11000 miles and I havent sliced through anything.

G

·
0 Posts
But cutting the shroud was just to easy.... I sure haven't had any issues having done it, thats for sure.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
cut my fan shroud....no regrets
:wink:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree with Ken. 1" MML. While the install is a little tougher than you might think, it is still relatively easy and makes a great complement to a small suspension lift and small body lift. Corrects driveline angles. Corrects transfer case and transmission shift levers and, last but not least, the fan positioning.

I used Goferit's spacer lift. Just be sure you use locktite on the motor mounts bolts when you reinstall as the instructions say. Don't ask me why I am saying that. :wink:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
whats involved with swapping the factory fan out and installing an electric one? Pro's / con's?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Removing the factory one is a matter of unscrewing 4 bolts. It is a piece of cake. Putting in an electric one should just be a matter of anchoring it solidly and getting power to it.
I think lowering your fan shroud by 1" is a much easier and cheaper solution.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The PA body lift supplies mounts to drop the radiator but it looked ugly so I used them to drop the shroud instead. It is easier and better looking that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts