Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fairly lucky to date as I have NOT done any body damage.

Every wheeler I talk to, says they made the mistake of getting some after causing some body damage, not before as hind sight would dictate.

So who's body armor? Or even better yet, anybody come up with their own solutions??

I mean, the thing is still showroom quality, it seems if I can get it done before I do something bad, it could stay that way... lol

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm a big fan of body armor BUT do not necessarily recommend it for everyone. If you do need it, you'll save the body damage.

IMHO - one of the great advantages of our SWB Jeeps is their light weight. The more we add armor, the more we lose that advantage. For me, it's worth it as I like to do some moderate rock work that would damage the body. If you don't use your Jeep that way, it may not be worth the price (literally and the weight/performance penalty to go with the armor.

I've already added about 200 lbs of armor to my Ruby (and I ain't done yet). That's a significant hit I can feel, especially in mud or sand.

So.... my .02 is to add armor if you need it - which will depend upon how you intend to use your Jeep.

Bill :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I slam the hardest of trails and obsticles, I think I am going to make my own, as my bud with a CJ did. Still was not cheap though by any means.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
This worked very well! minimal damage. These pics are two separate flops. The door got dented but it should pull out nicely. Scratches and gouges should buff out. This exo has lots of marks on it from saving the body. i just paint it to keep her all pretty.
Tom

2"x120 wall ERW.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, but I can't really see the body armore in the pics...

got a poser shot of the same vehicle?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
its got a body roll cage around the lower edge of the body all the way around. I had thought about flare reinforcements hidden below the plastic flares to add extra strength there, but my jeeperman skidz are so tough and just as effective I don't need them.

Check out quadratec.com. They sell this( http://a1198.g.akamai.net/f/1198/5580/6 ... s/P550.JPG ) magnetic setup thats like a puzzle of pieces you stick on you body to protect it from scratches and works great. Looks stupid, but hey it works.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure the magnetic stuff would work for the type of protection I am looking for.

I am worried and have already had some very close calls to side boulder/rock impacts It seems the magnetic stuff would just let a large pointy rock dent, right on through.

Weight has both it's advantages and dis-advantages for sure.. lol

I had hoped to be started on this already, but it will have to wait til I get my Jeep Medic skids in place as after last weekend I am even more terrified of my under carrage than a dent in my body somewhere.

No damage, still nothing broke yet.. Knock'n on some serious wood here....

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The body armor is the cage. It deflects rocks and trees away from the body. i thought you mentioned making some of your own like your CJ buddy did, so i figured the pic would suffice in terms of an idea for the "look" of body armor and the pic shows how it works. The skeleton will rub against trees and rocks but the body is left intact.
If your concern is just scratches, than i have heard of folks WAXING the jeep before a trip and leaving the wax mostly "on". You may think you got scratched but as long as you do not touch the affected areas and go home to wash the wax coating off then your "scratches" disappear. Another club guy uses rubbing compound, waxes and a power buffer (one that oscillates...no swirl marks) and he has erased some major (at least i thought so) scratches.
Hope all this helps.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well heck, I think I would like the all around cage as well as soem serious steel plating on the body... Thanks for the post, and yes, it does have me thinking of even more....

Out here in the southwest, we are constantly going through off camber very narrow spaces between large boulders and rocks.

I am excited about getting the new Jeep Medics skids, in a ton of research they are the best looking solution I have seen yet.

The body armor, will most likely be, diamond plate, nearly everywhere.
The guy with the CJ, has it like that, and says he has taken strikes everywhere on the body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts