Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the right place at the right time. I took mt Rubi in for an oil change (free at the dealership where I bought it), and on one of my soft top bow ends there are no threads so the screw keeps falling out. So they have ordered a new end for it. Here's where it got good, the service manager said "You know we just took a bikini set off a TJ we had in the showroom, when we sold the Jeep, the buyer didn't want it, so it is "sort -of-used" no box, no instructions and is missing some screws". He sent me to the parts department to look at it. The parts guy said he could get me the screws under warranty, might take a few weeks. He said they could let it go for 25% off retail, their regular price was $395.00, I talked them into selling it for $300.00 including tax. Seems like a good enough deal to me. The bikini has the same windshield channel as the factory soft top and clamps down the same way, the duster cover has a zipper that attaches it to the rear windscreen, and the little tags say "JEEP". Fits perfectly and the bikini wraps around the sound pods.

You can order the factory set now from Jparts.com it is a little over $340 with shipping. Bestop will have theirs out this summer and will be less money, in the range of $225, but I wanted it now.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Damn that was good timing......I am interested to see that header conection... If I am understanding you right it connects just like the soft top.....That is cool... 8)

G

·
0 Posts
:x So, I take it that my windjam and duster and bikini top from my 2000-TJ wont fit :?:

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BlackBeauty said:
:x So, I take it that my windjam and duster and bikini top from my 2000-TJ wont fit :?:
The windjammer will probably fit, if the bikini has the no-drill header it won't fit exactly right, but will sort of fit, same for the duster cover, if you remove the padding from the roll bar at the bottom the duster will probably fit okay. The roll bar padding on the '03 is thicker than the '02 and earlier TJ's, so the straps are a little short.

G

·
0 Posts
This is a very good product, but the only drawback I find is that the degree of seatback recline and rearward seat position is severely limited. I am 5'9" and I have the seatback bulging against the windscreen. I can't imagine what it would be like for taller drivers.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Instaurare said:
the only drawback I find is that the degree of seatback recline and rearward seat position is severely limited.
damn! i hadn't thought about that. i am 6'2" and have the seat back as far as it goes and have a pretty good incline going. i may have to change my quadratec order :(

if you didn't have the windjammer, would your seat still interfere with the dust cover when the seat is back and inclined?

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm close to 6'3", I have the seat all the way back, but I don't lean it back too far, about one or two notches is all, the windscreen is okay during the wet, but is not really needed. Just running the duster will allow you to lean the seat back further, but the windscreen has a lot of adjustment in it to allow you to lean the seat back pretty far as well.

I have a charcoal Bestop Trail cover that fits the '03's still. It is a whole lot better than fooling around with the whole soft top at night. The trail cover is very good at keeping things dry. I'd just as soon drive around with no top at all and keep the bikini under the duster on trail rides in case it does rain.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have the '03 sun bonnet/windjammer/tonneau cover kit and I think it is the best available. For everyone who had one of the old ones on previous Jeeps, this is 1000 times better. It seals at the windsheild header, it wraps around the door frames and the tonneau zips (instead of snaps) to the windjammer. Really well designed and extremely well made. Also, I am 6'2" and I have absolutely no problems with the position the seats are in. Of course you can't lay back and have a nap but for driving its fine.

It has rained a few times when I have had it on and it has kept everything nice and dry. No leaks to speak of. Of course, if it is goign to be left out during real driving rain then you would probably want to put up th real soft top. I would just put up the top and not worry even about the windows if you left the windjammer and tonneau on. Here is a pic of how it looks on my Jeep.

G

·
0 Posts
To answer your question about the seat touching the tonneau without the windscreen, at the degree of recline that I have my seat at, it bulges the windscreen and just touches the tonneau. I never thought that I used really excessive recline, but judging from the replies of some of these 6'2" drivers, I guess that I do. It is a great and superbly made product, and it will probably work for you if you keep your seat fairly upright.

I am wondering if there are any special cleaning products designed for this type of material?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts