Rubicon Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 533 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
New seat is on bike along with the new carbon seat post. I went from the ISM Typhoon to the PL 1.1, the seat feel the same sitting but rotation is better since the ears on the seat do not stick out quite as much, plus it's longer. I can't say anything about the seat post, it's doing it's job. I've gotten in a couple rides this week, weather has been better.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
No riding this week, and likely not the next. I'm down with my back.
I ordered some Michelin latex tubes, going to give them a try and see if I notice a difference in ride. I always pump tires before I ride so the fact that latex loose air quicker won't come into play.
I also got another camera for the rear of the bike, people around here yip yapping about the Fly 6 camera but ir only shoots in 780, not worth a crap if you want to blow up an image. I went ahead and got another Virb Elite. I film at 1080 with it. Since I have a Virb Elite on the front I have the front set to main and the rear set to extended. I can control the rear camera with the front. When I record with the front it tells the rear to record. I did have to figure out how to carry my spare tube, CO2 and other crap because the rear camera hangs low and I could not use my bag, so I am using a wide mouth water bottle and sticking all my junk in it.
Oh Well that's the latest.
Let's here from the other cyclist! I like hearing about cycling.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Here is a storage container designed to go into a cage, probably works the same as the wide mouth water bottle.
https://www.xlab-usa.com/mezzo-cage-pod.html

I have been riding but only on the weekends, my work schedule is killing me. I'm considering getting either a trainer or rollers. I got into the saddle test program and this Sunday I will be trying the PN 1.1, the sad part is after a week into the high 60's we are dropping into the mid 40s by the weekend.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
If the bottle were bigger it would be nice. I carry a few other things in mine. The bottle I am using is 32 ounces.
Before the bottle I was using an old Wasabi Pea can. LOL It holds everything but it was tight. I also have my multi-tool, patch kit, money, health card, old drivers license, debit card, tire levers, kitchen sink, etc.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I tried to ride yesterday with my screwed up back. I rode 21 but it also took me 2 1/2 hours. I won't do that again, and I have been paying for it. I am back to where I was a week ago with the pain. I am calling the Doc tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I went to the Doc Monday. He gave me a steroid shot and a anti-inflammatory shot. They have helped somewhat. I am not in cycling condition yet. I tried to find my TENS unit but to no avail. I think it disappeared several years ago with a divorce.
I went ahead and got a new one, it is easier to use, not that they are hard to use. LOL
It gives temporary relief from the pain. It is also an EMS device so make I will hook it to my abdominal blubber and get tit to twitching like a bowl full of jelly. LOL This unit also has 8 electrodes so I can do a couple at the same time.
The latex tubes should be here this week. They got to the states quick, now they are in the USPS system so it will be a few more days to get to the house.
Picture of Mobile Bay last time I rode, water was calm. I ride by the bay whenever I ride, it's only a couple miles away. I like getting out and getting some miles in before the sun rises and the solar heating gets the wind blowing.

Attachments

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,002 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Finally picked a pair of bikes for the GF and I, She got a medium frame and I got a large. Same bike as we got a great deal.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/laguna-bicycles-mr1-carbon-hardtail-review
Cool, I don't know much about Mountain bikes except frames sre fitted differently. Mountain, large, medium, small frames, and Road bikes are measured in CM, for instance based on my proportions I can use a 58 or 60 CM frame. My carbon bike is 58 CM. I know the gearing on a mountain bike is different, you can climb trees with the gearing on them. LOL My biggest cog on the back is a 25 tooth, the smallest is a 11 tooth, the chainrings are 39 and 53 tooth. I know most mountain bikes chainring is smaller than my 39. I know a lot of the guys around here are going to a single chainring up front.
Anyway congrats on the bikes! Have fun and wear helmets. I should post my wreck pictures at 14 mph, you'll be guaranteed to wear a helmet. LOL
I'm glad I was going slow at the time.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
If I continue to feel okay and get better, I am going to ride Saturday, the winds will be up a bit but it will be clear and temps good.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I was able to ride yesterday. I got 31 miles in. It would have been a very nice day for riding except for the wind out of the North, it was quite breezy. The back held up, but is a bit sore this morning. I think most of the soreness from my bed. I came out and slept in my recliner for awhile. I am on my heating pad and will hook-up the TENS unit in a few.
I installed latex tubes earlier in the week, they were fine, they do loose a lot of air compared to rubber tubes. I pumped tires to pressure before going out for a ride and was sitting putting shoes on when behind me there was a very loud bang, almost made me jump. The rear tube exploded. It failed on the seam on the tube. That was a quick 8 bucks gone. These are the Michelin Air Comp tubes. I got them at Wiggle significantly cheaper than stateside. They came in about a week, no big deal it takes Amazon this long using their free shipping.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I did 20 miles yesterday in a new saddle (prologo zero pass tri), I like it, but I can tell the pressure points are different. I should get use to it in a few more rides. The ISM felt too wide no matter how far back I tried to set it. Weather was bit chilly but not as bad as forecasted, which is a good thing because I forgot my windbreaker as I left the house.
After a couple weeks of searching I decided on a computer: Garmin 920xt tri. it's a watch and you can use it on the bike, running, and swimming, which is what I was looking for. On the bike it will measure speed and cadence.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,002 Posts
waiting on some nice weather to ride...:frown2:

Reactions: Wildrat

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I wanted to start riding again tomorrow but my back is still messed up. I go back to Doc in a week.
I like my ISM PL 1.1 better than the ISM typhoon I had. I don't even think about it much except when some skin from the crown jewels retaining sack get between me and the seat which id easily remedied. lol
My son uses one of the Garmin watches for his tri stuff also. I don't like anything on my wrist so I have a bike specific computer.
Elwarpo, I hope the weather gets better for ya!
Since I can't ride I have been tinkering with my 24 year old Meade 10 inch reflector so I can use it again.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well weather is not good here, but it will clear up soon.
I still can't ride or much of anything else without pain. Tuesday can't come quick enough not that the doctor will do anything to alleviate the pain, he will xray, then schedule MRI, but at least maybe I will eventually get to a doctor that cam do something.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I did 40 more miles this weekend, 20 on saturday 20 on sunday.Saddle feels better now.
and I just placed the order for the 920xt. I ordered the bike adaptor too so I can place it on the aerobars when riding the bike.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
That's great! I am still in a lot of pain so no riding for me or much of anything else. I goto the doctor tomorrow. I know there won't be a quick fix but hopefully the doctor will put things in motion to find out what is going on.
Since I can't do anything physical I have been resurrecting my telescope. I ordered a new secondary mirror, spider, and holder, and painted the scope tube. It looks pretty good for a 24 yo telescope. Catch y'all later.
Keep on riding!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I got tired of having to fold the seats down and up every time I went for a bike ride, so I decided to get a rack:

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Cool, one day I will break down and get a rack. At the moment I have no need as I ride from the house. I did put it in the Jeep once, but that was no issue as my back seat is in a closet.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I told myself all I was going to do to the bike was change the saddle and leave it alone. After all is brand new, what can be wrong with it, right?
The bike came with vittoria zaffiro slicks, according to what I read is a low end tire, not what I expected in a $2,500 dollar bike, so I'm considering switching them to continental grand prix 4000s II
Any experience with these tires?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I have about 6 of them in my bike room. Very good tire! Low rolling resistance. I run mine with Michelin Latex tubes. You can tell the difference with the tubes but when I use all of them up I have I am going back to rubber. They leak air like there are holes in them. LOL I have to pump them at least once a week to keep them inflated.
You can't go wrong with the Continentals though. If you don't mind waiting a week for them to come in the mail you can get them at Merlin or pro bike kit for around 33-34 dollars a tire, they also sell them in pairs, free shipping no tax. I get mine from across the pond. I just ck pricing to see who has them cheaper. It's the same with the Michelin latex tubes, LBS wants 19/tube. I think I got the last ones from Wiggle for right at 8 bucks/tube. I'll wait a few days if it will save me money.

41 - 60 of 533 Posts