Rubicon Owners Forum banner

461 - 480 of 533 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
Finally, got around to doing maintenance on the bike yesterday afternoon. I replaced the ceramic bearings in the crank, the 53T chainring, the chain, the cassette, rear tire, and greased the rear hub bearings.
It should be ready to roll for Novembers ride.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
I'm ditching the ceramic bearings in my rear hub. I;m going with Enduro ABEC-3 LLB bearings. They are a radial type bearing. The LLB is a no contact seal (less friction).

Everyone yaps about angular contact bearing in the hub, but the thing is most hubs have no way of putting a pre-load on the bearing, so what's the point.

I think I am going back to steel bearings in my crank as well. They will be angular contact since my Shimano crank arms have the plastic pre-load cap. Yes, that is what the plastic cap is for on your left crank arm, it's to apply a pre-load to your AC bearing (approx. 5nm) and used on radial bearing to take out play.

·
3,369 Posts
@Wildrat.... really digging the wax/Lamp O lube..... but man, when it needs lube, it needs it in a hurry LOL. Went riding and out of no where so it seemed my shifting went to pot and things got louder like flicking a switch. Went home and checked my log and yup....130 miles since the last lube. Lubed it up and good to go.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
@Wildrat.... really digging the wax/Lamp O lube..... but man, when it needs lube, it needs it in a hurry LOL. Went riding and out of no where so it seemed my shifting went to pot and things got louder like flicking a switch. Went home and checked my log and yup....130 miles since the last lube. Lubed it up and good to go.

Is the bike going through a lot of water/mud/dirt?
I do mine every third ride/every week, which is usually about 150-160 miles.
Do you have enough wax in your oil?
I know I can ride in the rain and these filthy roads down here and my chain repels most of it.

How long are you leaving the chain in the wax bath? Mine stays in anywhere from around 4-6 hours and sometimes overnight if I forget about it.
Do you have a chain wear gauge? Next time you change your chain you should try a SRAM PC-1130. You can get them for around 18-22 bucks.

I've had Shimano, and KMC chains. They do not wear good and the shifting was not smooth. I tried the inexpensive SRAM chain and it's what I will use from now on.

·
3,369 Posts
Is the bike going through a lot of water/mud/dirt?
I do mine every third ride/every week, which is usually about 150-160 miles.
Do you have enough wax in your oil?
I know I can ride in the rain and these filthy roads down here and my chain repels most of it.

How long are you leaving the chain in the wax bath? Mine stays in anywhere from around 4-6 hours and sometimes overnight if I forget about it.
Do you have a chain wear gauge? Next time you change your chain you should try a SRAM PC-1130. You can get them for around 18-22 bucks.

I've had Shimano, and KMC chains. They do not wear good and the shifting was not smooth. I tried the inexpensive SRAM chain and it's what I will use from now on.
I rewatched the videos and will have to check my mix, I might need to add a dash more lamp oil. I ride in dry conditions with the occasional small drainage area crossing. BUT it has been very, very dry here lately and very dusty. Two rides and the bike is covered. But I leave my chain in for a couple hours usually at a minimum. I have a wear guage, and it is still well within the good range. I think it has about 550~ miles on it, it is a SRAM GX Eagle chain.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #470
I dip a butter knife in the wax, run under the tap to cool the wax, then smear with my finger/thumb. It should be like a hard cream. Kinda like bacon grease that has been in the fridge. If your wax is flaking on the chain, you need more oil.
Remember it's not the wax on the outside that's important, it's what gets on the inside.
This is why I don't mind letting the chain sit in the mix on low for hours.

Once my wax is melted I switch to low, not warm.

·
3,369 Posts
Yea I played with my mix last night and I think I have a better consistency now. I wonder if the weather change here (cooler temps, highs in 90s dropped to highs in upper 70s) may have played a role. So I made my mix a bit more creamy, and I used a knife as well. I think the prior mix was too hard for the cooler temps. Which has me wondering how this is going to work in the winter for me when my temps are 32 or so????

regardless.... it had been 130ish miles since my last treatment.... I think that is pretty good for a MTB.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #476
80 miles yesterday. The new hub bearings will be here tomorrow not unless USPS makes one of their usual mistakes. They are at my local PO so hopefully I am safe from them being sent to Miami or another state.
Yesterday was a great riding day, nice and cool.
I tell ya loosing 35 pounds has really helped with my endurance, it has helped my speed slightly, except on hill climbing. I climb faster and feel stronger.
The plant based diet is great, especially once you can cook different things. I made my second batch of plant based crab cakes this weekend, much better than the first. I used a different bean this time. I did however put a little too much Bay Seasoning in the mix, but they are still good.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
50 miles today with one stop for sardines and a drink.

The bearings came and they are in the rear hub.
They feel much better.
I probably won't ride again till Sunday. I am hopefully getting some shots in my shoulders, so I don't have to ride 120 miles thinking about pain Nov. 9th, but I will if I have too.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #478
I was on the receiving end of four injections today. Both of my shoulders and one in both lower cheeks.
Doc said he could repair the tear in my left cuff, but since my right shoulder has had two surgeries, he wants to do a reverse cup shoulder replacement.

I am so tired of surgeries. I have been under the knife 10 times. It's not nearly as scary as the first time, but the pain never changes. It flipping hurts. LOL

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #479
I rode yesterday. I had to wear a long sleeve jersey. It was only in the 60s but the wind and moisture in the air made it feel cooler.

I think the steroids in the shoulders is already working. I still had pain as usual but it did not seem as intense. I ride again Sunday (long ride day) so I will know if it is helping.
I still have not made a decision on the reverse cup shoulder surgery. I have been reading up on the pro's and con's. The surgery sounds feasible, but there is no long term information on the replacement yet. They say life expectancy for the hardware is 15 years. This would put me at 77 needing a replacement. I also don't want to be off my bike and loose fitness. I am also wondering if I should do some light weight training to strengthen the shoulder muscles if I decide to do the surgery.

I don't know if strengthening the muscles would even help.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #480
Easy 92 miles this morning. It seems the steroids are helping my shoulders. The right shoulder which he wants to replace did ache a bit, but nothing like it has for the last couple of years. Without all the pain I felt like I had all kind energy.

461 - 480 of 533 Posts