Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 533 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Cyclops is your friend! My threshold for cold changed drastically after pedaling for 15 years in AZ. I used to avearge 150 miles a week in that consistent climate, but I absolutely can't handle cold anymore, so my Trek Carbon Postal and I spend crappy days inside. The Cycleops trainer is great, mine is over 20 years old and, although it isn't as good a workout as out on the road, it beats sitting on the couch watching the game. +1 on Performance gear, good bang for the buck and thanks for posting the ISM seat info, looks like a good idea to help keep the boys happy.
I have a mag trainer with my steel bike mounted sitting in front of my flat screen. I'll go on you tube and find a video or a GCN video and ride to them. It's still boring as heck.

All this talk got me looking into a computer, what are you opinions on the edge 520?
The 520 is what I initially looked at but then I noticed the price diff was not that different for a base unit. I found an 810 base unit for 259. I already have ANT+ sensors, and I don't use a heart monitor so that would be good for me. To be honest all the computer really needs to do for me is cadence, mph, and distance and be able to be downloaded. I guess I am kind of a computer geek and the other data is interesting.

Have you tried snow ski gloves? they worked for me in the past on really cold days.
No I've not tried ski gloves and at this point because of my annoyance with these gloves, I think I will just ride the trainer when the temps are below 40 or so. I say that but I will either end up with new gloves or some good liners.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I suppose I'm an amatuer in these things. This is my Trek Shift 1 bike:

In carbon (the paint color, as it is an alloy frame), fitted with a rear rack and a double nylon ripstop pannier bags for fetching groceries. It also has puncture-resistant Kevlar-belted tires that are decent on dirt paths and gravel trails. It was manufactured in my kid's home town in Madison, WI. Best feature: this $460 bike (2013 model year retail price) was free, my 30-year employee gift from HP.

Yes, this is a comfortable "cruiser bike" with fat tires and only a 7-speed rear end. It mostly gets used for 2-mile or 8-mile round trips depending upon which grocery store I am going to, or a 2-mile round trip to the pharmacy, or a 3-mile round trip to the hardware store. But I do also take it to Moab where it fetches groceries and takes me to the bathroom and back, from the cheaper tent sites "way in the back" of the campground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwoZNzILVnA

I have reduced my Jeep usage to less than 1000 miles per year, compared to 11,000 miles in the beginning while still working. However, I'm cheating - the biggest reduction came about when I retired. Sometimes I take the bike to the lightrail station and ride from the train, on a variety of trails in the greater San Jose area.

I admit, most miles on the bike are less than 10 mile trips - but I'm 65, slowly losing excess weight and getting in better shape.

Sorry I missed answering your post. Hey any bike is great when ya ride it, and any amount of miles are great! After all my surgeries on my back, neck, ankle, shoulder, I did not think I would be able to ride, mainly because my legs will get numb and collapse after walking.
I've always biked and I slowly got stronger over a several years, so I built a steel bike, rode it for about a year, started out riding 10, then 20, 30, 40, 50, 60,80 miles. I have learned what fuels my body good, strangely enough if I eat potato's the day before I feel great. Depending on the ride I will take a Clif bar with me, eat half, then eat the other half. The ride length determines how many bars I bring. Ib the hot sunner, I will take a Clif Gel, and a bar with me. I'm careful with the Gels, they are quick energy.
Anyway, just keep at it! Oh forgot, My carbon bike I built last spring and that's what I ride on the streets.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry I missed answering your post. Hey any bike is great when ya ride it, and any amount of miles are great! After all my surgeries on my back, neck, ankle, shoulder, I did not think I would be able to ride, mainly because my legs will get numb and collapse after walking.
I've always biked and I slowly got stronger over a several years, so I built a steel bike, rode it for about a year, started out riding 10, then 20, 30, 40, 50, 60,80 miles. I have learned what fuels my body good, strangely enough if I eat potato's the day before I feel great. Depending on the ride I will take a Clif bar with me, eat half, then eat the other half. The ride length determines how many bars I bring. Ib the hot sunner, I will take a Clif Gel, and a bar with me. I'm careful with the Gels, they are quick energy.
Anyway, just keep at it! Oh forgot, My carbon bike I built last spring and that's what I ride on the streets.
I totally agree with this advice, whatever you have, just ride it. I didn't get into serious cycling until I was in my early 40's. I went on a training ride for the Phoenix MS150 with a co-worker who had shamed me into it. When I whined about not being able to ride more than 5 miles, he pointed out he was a dozen years my senior, had suffered from polio since his youth, had multiple back and knee surgeries, so I had nothing to snivel about. Thanks to his smack talking, I found a (hopefully) lifelong way to keep active and be continue to able to dig my Jeep out of sand pits and rock piles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree, any bike that is ridden is a good bike. I am not much of a cold out-door rider simply because if something goes wrong, you never know, it could be the end. So, I ride a trainer during the colder days. (Below 32f) So, this year for Christmas Miss Clause bought me a Wahoo KICKR trainer and I use the Zwift App on my ipad to train with riders all over the world as a "virtual rider". Super fun and motivating. Check it out on their website or youtube. All you really need is a trainer, speed and cadence sensors with wifi/Ant+, a smart phone or ipad to open the App. You can also use heart rate and power meter if you have them. If you enjoy riding this is the way to get it done during the cold winter months. You should also have a towel and a fan because you will sweet. Check it out. Ride On!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I just ride my steel bike on the mag trainer watching something on TV to keep boredom down.

Today is another story, the cold spell is gone for a few days, it's 50ºF outside this morning, I'm dressed in my bib shorts/jersey waiting for the sun to come up a bit, then I will be off to the streets for a ride.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
32 miles yesterday morning. I get home and some woman stops at my drive and begins to tell me I need a light higher up on the rear of my bike.I just told her okay.
I have a light on my helmet, a light on my saddle bag, and a light on my left chainstay.
People will make any excuse for their poor driving abilities! Even without lights in broad daylight, if you can't see me taking up half the lane you have issues. She was likely a cat person.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Had to put the bike on the stand, rear hanger got bent when the bike got knocked over by the dogs with the help of a 20-30 mph wind.
Bent the hanger back and readjusted stops.
I also took the opportunity to clean chain, cassette, and both derailleurs thouroughly.
I also took pedals apart and lubed them.
The bike should be good to go for awhile.
I also ordered a Garmin 520 Bundle rather than the 810. Talked to my friends at LBS and they all use the 520, so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. I shouldn't even have to download the Open Street Map routable cycling map to it. I should be able to take the MSD card out of the 450 and stick it in the 520.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Alright. With all that cleaning and adjusting you should be able to push out some extra watts and mph which is equal to fun. Let us know how you like the 520.
Ride On!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Alright. With all that cleaning and adjusting you should be able to push out some extra watts and mph which is equal to fun. Let us know how you like the 520.
Ride On!
LOL, I'll be doing the same as I always do. Slow and Sure.

The cleaning was pretty easy. I just used kerosene. Let the chain soak, brush everything else, then hosed it off.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Rode 34 today, wanted to do 50= but had to get home to send my last motorcycle and everything affiliated with it to a new home.
I also received the Garmin 520 in the mail and have it setup I think, lol, all the sensors are paired and my phone is paired also. I just need to install the Open Street Map cycling map for my area.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have been using Look style pedals since the 80's. I went to the darkside yesterday and installed a pair of Speeplay Zero pedals. So far I am liking them. I like the vast amount of float, having the ability to grease pedals without taking them apart and chance loosing one of 24 bearings. LoL I also like the very positive lock when you snap in. I have not gotten any real miles on them yet, weather is not cooperating. I got them in Stainless since I am near salt water, although I think CroMo would have been fine also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have only used Speedplay X1 pedals since 1993. I also use the Speedplay Ti Frogs on my Gravel and MTB bikes. Love Them!. Light, secure engagement and easy to service.

Weather is looking up this weekend in KS so there is a 76 mile gravel grinder ride for Saturday and a 70 mile group ride on Sunday. The Saturday ride will have over 100 riders and Sunday will be more normal, 20. I've been riding the Wahoo KICKR and using the Zwift App, awesome! Two hour ride planned for tonight. Mileage per week is around 150 or 8.5 hrs per week. Once it warms up and there is more daylight it is much easier to get 11-13 hours per week. Its also easier when there are 4-8 other riders on the ride.

I ride/race long 100 and 200 mile gravel races during the year. 3 100 milers April and May and then 200 mile race in June. DK200 in Emporia, KS. Hard but Fun. I will also do some local road races and crits. to mix up the training. Ride On!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
With all this bike talk I do own a Rubi.
Looks kinda like mine except newer.

You do good on the bike! I would not be able to do anything close to that anymore. I stay around 30-60 miles and on the road. My body can't take being beat up, especially since I am not fully recovered from a wreck in September. LOL

I got a new light yesterday. I had been using a Cygolite Dash 450, it was bright but the new Cygolite Expillion 850. It is way brighter than my living room light. LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used to do more on the bike but age is catching up with me....no matter how much I try and out-ride-it.:)
Great news on the light. Now you have one for the handle bar and one for the helmet.
Ride On!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
yeah. I have Zipp Carbon bars on the road bike And can't mount the lights. I have the new one mounted on my front wheel axle. The other is laying in a recliner. I can't do helmet mounted stuff, I have had cervical spine fusions and the additional weight is noticeable. The 850 down on the axle will be plenty of light. The 450 was plenty of light but I just want to make sure drivers are well aware I am there at 0400 in the morning. LOL What good it will do with disrespectful individuals. LOL

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
First day in a week I was able to ride. I did 34 with the new Speedplay pedals. My pedaling seems more fluid now with them. I could sure tell I had not ridden in a week. I suppose when bad weather is here I am going to have to get on the trainer bike no matter how much I dislike it. LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Getting old slow and adding a few lbs = bad.
A few hours on the trainer to stay in shape = good.
Before Zwift I would watch Velocity TV or a movie. Makes the hours fly by......and a Big Ass Fan. Glad to hear you liked the pedals. Awesome equipment. Ride On!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Getting old slow and adding a few lbs = bad.
A few hours on the trainer to stay in shape = good.
Before Zwift I would watch Velocity TV or a movie. Makes the hours fly by......and a Big Ass Fan. Glad to hear you liked the pedals. Awesome equipment. Ride On!
LOL, I know the feeling. I had fairly significant shoulder surgery back in July and gained a few pounds. I am having difficulty getting those few pounds off. I know summer here is around the corner so they should melt off then.
i just get extremely bored on the steel bike, trainer bike, no matter what I do. I guess I just like being outdoors.
I ordered a new seat, should be here tomorrow. I use an ISM Typhoon presently on both bikes, but am putting the ISM PL 1.1 on the Carbon Bike. The seat on my Carbon is wearing out, not the cover, the foam underneath is sliding to one side on the nose. I massage it back into place but after a few rides it's doing the same thing.
The Pl 1.1 is a longer saddle so when I am relaxing I can slide back and sit up more comfortably. It has half the padding which should not matter since there is not much padding on the nose of these saddles anyway.
Oh Well, that's the latest. No riding for a couple days due to weather, this time of year bites. If I were in my twenties I would be riding in the rain, not anymore though. LOL

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I figured my mileage for 9 months, well not quite nine yet. I have ridden 2,650 miles so far, the year ends the end of April. Pretty good I think considering I was out two months with the shoulder surgery.
I also rode the trainer yesterday, forgot to turn ceiling fan on. I began melting. LOL

21 - 40 of 533 Posts