Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
I bought a 2018 JKUR Recon edition with 2222 miles on it. At 6000 miles I had the same thing, figured it was because I didn't rotate the tires. Went to discount tire to rotate. The guy said it could be the shocks, I couldn't believe this because they were almost new. He talked me out of rotating them saying the vibration would be terrible, big mistake. He was right about the shocks though. I installed a Teraflex leveling kit and new Rancho 5000XL adjustable shocks, then rotated the tires. No vibration and it didn't take very long for the tires to even out when moved to the back. I have 12000 on the jeep now and the tires that moved from the back to the front have no cupping at all and the cupped tires on the back are normal. So in my case, the OME Rubicon shocks were not worth a crap with only a few thousand miles on them.
I just installed some new suspension stuff on my 2017 JKUR. One front and one rear factory shocks were leaking oil at 24K miles

·
Registered
539 Posts
I posted this on another forum last night too, so if it looks familiar, sorry - just looking for all the thoughts/opinions I can get.

I bought a 18k mile old rubicon, front tires cupped pretty bad, rear cupped a little. At about 20k miles, I put 2 new tires on rear, old rears now on front.. At 23k miles, fronts are noticeably worse than when I moved them there.
Alignment, balance, etc all good.

Is this common for these tires? They are the standard 255-75-17 BFG MT - I'm 99% (or more) paved roads only, 60 mile commute each day almost all interstate.

I can get 2 more new ones for $300 which sounds great - but probably really $400 by the time I get them mounted/balanced/etc -- and that's $400 I don't want to spend if I'm going to be in this same boat in 6 months (or less).

I'm just concerned since these are as bad as they are after only 3-4k on the front.

I had a local tire shop tell me keeping them rotated would "even these out", and another shop told me that once they start getting cupped, they are pretty much cupped forever - so I'm just really confused..

How have these tires worked for you?
I have been running BFG mud terrains for years, never had any issues with them cupping. Had a few sets that were a bit on the soft side and did some chunking(large chunks of rubber coming off, can't think of a better descriptor). I run mine at 24 on the highway and 10-15 off road if I air down.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts