Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another forum last night too, so if it looks familiar, sorry - just looking for all the thoughts/opinions I can get.

I bought a 18k mile old rubicon, front tires cupped pretty bad, rear cupped a little. At about 20k miles, I put 2 new tires on rear, old rears now on front.. At 23k miles, fronts are noticeably worse than when I moved them there.
Alignment, balance, etc all good.

Is this common for these tires? They are the standard 255-75-17 BFG MT - I'm 99% (or more) paved roads only, 60 mile commute each day almost all interstate.

I can get 2 more new ones for $300 which sounds great - but probably really $400 by the time I get them mounted/balanced/etc -- and that's $400 I don't want to spend if I'm going to be in this same boat in 6 months (or less).

I'm just concerned since these are as bad as they are after only 3-4k on the front.

I had a local tire shop tell me keeping them rotated would "even these out", and another shop told me that once they start getting cupped, they are pretty much cupped forever - so I'm just really confused..

How have these tires worked for you?

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Only common when you dont rotate them regularly. Once it starts its hard to correct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know it's history before the 18k mile mark, so that could have been it... I guess I'm just looking for someone to confirm that if I started with all new "stock" tires, and rotated them every 3k or so, I'd probably stay away from the cupping problem, even with it being primarily used on-road.
I can swing replacing 2 now much easier than replacing all 4 (5?) with All-Terrains.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you need an alignment, had the same problem myself, and after the alignment by the time the tires wore evenly and cupping was gone it was almost time for new tires again.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm assuming you're running the KM2s? I've had those for some time now and haven't had an issue, though I rotate and toe-in with every oil change.
I wouldn't call your issue "normal"...

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
If they are the 2012+ stock Rubicon tires I had them on my Jeep for about 18k miles before I sold them. I rotated them 3 times and never had any issues. I know people who have them and never rotate and they haven't had anything like you're describing. Have you checked your shocks? I know that bad shocks can cause odd wear patterns on tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shoulda posted this way earlier, but here's a shot of what they look like - they picked up just enough grit off of the driveway to hopefully make the issue easier to see, but basically each block of the tread is lower on one edge than it is on the other. In some places, an entire block will be worn more than the ones next to it. Crazy thing is that some times, although rarely, it is smooth and quiet as can be, but most of the time it's overly rough and loud.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Agree with all of the above. You might also increase your tire pressure to push the center of the tire out and that will cut down on the noise and vibration some. It will wear the center of the tire more, however it may let you get a few more miles out of them. Balance, tire pressure, rotation, alignment, you have to do them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Enough tread on those to use for a good while longer. You stated the alignment was good.

I would take em to a shop that will shave them to true them up, then have a high speed balance performed.

Every set of tires I've ever purchased over 33" in size has been done this way by a local company. The result has been a much longer lasting tire and one that rides much, much better over the life of the set.

I also chalk the tires to get the sweet spot on each corners correct air pressure. A habit I was shown years ago and one I still use.

You have to be very mindful of alignment and air pressure but the attention to detail will pay big in the long run.

http://www.tireshaving.com/tire_shaving/tire_shaving_info.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_6948382_chalk-tires.html

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Bump them up to the maximum rated PSI, run them like that for a week, X rotate them to change the direction they turn, run like that for 1000 miles or so, then reduce air pressure to recommended for a while, rotate again. The object is to interrupt the wear pattern that is developing. The old MTR's generally needed to be rotated every 3000 miles to keep them from developing wear patterns. Balance is also critical.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
According to an "older" Jeep repair manual I have: "Cupping or scalloped dips appearing around the edge of the tread almost always indicate worn or bent suspension parts. Wheel alignment alone will seldom cure the problem. Any worn component that connects the wheel to the suspension can cause this type of wear. Occasionally wheels that are out of balance will wear like this, but wheel imbalance usually shows up as bald spots between the outside edges and center of the tread."

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
According to an "older" Jeep repair manual I have: "Cupping or scalloped dips appearing around the edge of the tread almost always indicate worn or bent suspension parts. Wheel alignment alone will seldom cure the problem. Any worn component that connects the wheel to the suspension can cause this type of wear. Occasionally wheels that are out of balance will wear like this, but wheel imbalance usually shows up as bald spots between the outside edges and center of the tread."
That is true, but not rotating will give the same effect. Also lower air pressure can and rounding your corners too fast.

I went thru several pairs of MTRs because of not rotating. My alignment was perfect according to the sheets. When I got tired of buying 2 tires every year, I rotated regularly and aired up my tires to 35psi, my issues went away. I sold my Jeep with 40k miles on the mtrs. I bought all new when I went 37.

My truck did the same thing when I didn't rotate. Alignment was dead on as well.

Alignment is definitely a potential issue.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I don't know about yours, but at 35 PSI mine rode like a skate board with steel wheels. 28# so much better.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Nope smooth......very smooth and quiet. I had a bunch of sidewall with 15 inch wheels for those 37s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my 2015 Rubicon I’ve had terrible luck with BFG Mud Terrains. At 5K they were cupped terribly. It was so bad BFG replaced the 2 fronts. Jeep checked the alignment and balance on all. Same thing happened with the new ones. So maybe its my Jeep. I have rotated them every 3-5K since. I’m at 35K and they are slick now. They are still cupped and wobble when driving slow in a parking lot. I’m about to put on new tires. I’ll try a different brand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 2018 JKUR Recon edition with 2222 miles on it. At 6000 miles I had the same thing, figured it was because I didn't rotate the tires. Went to discount tire to rotate. The guy said it could be the shocks, I couldn't believe this because they were almost new. He talked me out of rotating them saying the vibration would be terrible, big mistake. He was right about the shocks though. I installed a Teraflex leveling kit and new Rancho 5000XL adjustable shocks, then rotated the tires. No vibration and it didn't take very long for the tires to even out when moved to the back. I have 12000 on the jeep now and the tires that moved from the back to the front have no cupping at all and the cupped tires on the back are normal. So in my case, the OME Rubicon shocks were not worth a crap with only a few thousand miles on them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts