Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity this weekend to see the new Krawlers in action. Man are they sweet. They really do out-perform MTRs in just about every type of terrain. Many of the reports were saying that they were not good in the mud but they did much better than the MTRs. The conditions at our favourite wheeling area this weekend were slightly gooey. The dirt was a little damp and if you slipped even a little bit it would just slick right up. The rocks were all a little bit slippery because of the rain/snow we were having for a few days before. The Krawlers seemed be more grippy on this type of rock. Very impressive. They were also very impressive with their side-hilling ability. When aired down, the big lugs on the sidewalls really seemed to bite into the hill and prevent you from slipping down the hill. These lugs did a great job of pulling out of ruts. Once again, impressive. The only conditions my buddies weren't able to really test in was snow.

I think that when I move up to 35s it will be with Krawlers. I just hope that BFG comes out with different sizes; the 33x13.50s are just a bit too wide for my liking.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I'm guessing the sidewalls appeared to hold up well? From previous posts I've read, this ia a BFG downside.

I have the BFG MT's and so far, they are still holding up very well after playing in some sharp rocks, but only time will tell.

Those are much more expensive tires than MTR's aren't they?

Ken

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Up here, apparently, they aren't much more than MTRs. I have heard that they are going for a good chunk o' change donw in the US. I would assume that they hype that has been generated for them has done well to increase the profit margins of resellers.

The sidewalls are just as beefy as MTRs. Actually, these tires are beasts. From what I've heard, they weigh nearly 80lbs per 35x13.50. I lifted one and on a steel 15x10 wheel, it feels close to 100 lbs.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
triver525 said:
I had the opportunity this weekend to see the new Krawlers in action. They really do out-perform MTRs in just about every type of terrain.
The true test will be whether or not you can have the Krawler as a DD and get the same mileage and how they do on wet pavement and snowy pavement. All 3 of these are very strong points for the MTR.

It sounds like BFG has come up with something competitive to the MTR, but for the extra cost, it better toast the MTR in all categories, not just rock climbing.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Baja Claws!!! :D

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
elff said:
The true test will be whether or not you can have the Krawler as a DD and get the same mileage and how they do on wet pavement and snowy pavement. All 3 of these are very strong points for the MTR.
From what I understand they have a really good ride on the street when they are on the back of a trailer......

·
Registered
16 Posts
The sidewalls are actually thicker than MT/R's. Whether they're also stronger remains to be seen. I'm not worried much about punctures or tears with either tire.

The Krawlers ride surprisingly well on the road, albeit one of my tires/wheels seems to still hop. I'll try adding more balancing powder and see what happens. My buddy's 37x12.50s ride even better than my 35x13.50s. The wet and snow performance is still up in the air. But I'm keeping my MTRs just in case. For more of a DD than off-roader I'd probably still pick the MTRs just because they're lighter and I know they work really well on pavement.

Triver,
You could put the 13.50 on an 8" rim and live with the 35s just fine. They're only .5" wider in the tread than the MT/R.

I know many of you escaped JU for this board but here's a link to a post I made there. It has some links to the pics. I just don't want to repost everything: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sh ... did=441016

1 - 7 of 7 Posts