Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my jeep as a daily driver. And as with a lot of you most of my miles are about 95% highway. I'll be getting some 35" tires but am torn between the BFG AT vs Goodyear MTR.

-The BFG are obviously less aggressive but would ride and wear better on the highway.

-The MTR great looking tire quiet enough but from most post I've read seem to wear very quickly. But these tires seem to do better off road.

I can get the BFG for $145 and the MTR for $175

Anyone have first hand experience with these tires and reasons to choose one over the other?

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
It's been a while since I ran the BFG AT's, but my experience with them was I got about 30,000 miles before they were worn out.

I think that with most MT's you will get about 20,000 miles out of them.

Since you do most of your driving on the road it makes sense to go with a tire that will last a longer time, as well as a smoother ride.

I'm torn with this same question everytime I need tires. I generally go with the MT's and eat the $$ loss.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I have over 20K currently on my MTR's and they still have half their tread left. I rotate them every 3K. I ran a set of BFG AT's on my Sport several years ago. Didn't like em, they lasted about 33K miles and they are ugly IMO. I wished that I had gone with the BFG MT's instead because they would have lasted almost as long. I will admit I probably take better care of my MTR's than the BFG AT's but I think they are worth the extra cheese and noise. I won't even bring up the fact that I currently don't buy French products (I know Americans work at the factories and that's why I'm not pushing this on anyone). Later Brian

Oh and the BFG's were 31x10.50x15

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife is currently running a set of 31x10.5r15 BFG AT/KOs on her 2.5l YJ. She uses her Jeep as a commuter, and is impressed with the handling of the tires on the street. On my Ford Ranger, I am running 33x12.5r15 BFG AT/KOs w/6" of combined lift. The tires are well broken in (installed in May), did a great job on my last trip down to Baja (dirt trails, sand, mud, etc) and emit about half the roadnoise as my stock set of MT/Rs (which have 1800 mi. on them).

I love the deep hum of the MT/Rs, and I will rotate these and balance regularly to see if I can get over 20,000 mi. out of them. Their sidewalls are sturdy as I have covered some serious rocky trails in them w/o any issues. The treadblocks have been cut off in some sections due to sharp rocks, but, not as bad as on my KO's.

With 70 mi. of roundtrip commuting each day, the jury is still out on whether I will run BFG AT KOs. French-made or not, I don't give a F--- I'll run whichever tire gives me the best compromise between trail traction and overall longetivity.
-Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts