Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifcally the Goodyear at Quail and Colfax here in the Denver metro area....

One note of caution... Do Not Trust Goodyear tire centers... or at least the one on Quail and Colfax here in the Denver Metro area..

My simple rotation was nothing short of a nightmare all the way around...

1st. They told me they would get me right in and out, as I called right before I went over there. ( 2 hours of actual wait time)
2nd. They laft my Spare tire wheel lock on the spare, after driving it considerable distance on the hi-way even, when back at work, I went out for a smoke, and there it was thankfully still on the spare lug.
3rd. I had some stuff for my rear swing away bumper in the same bag as the wheel lock, they did not even put it back in my vehicle.
4th I specificaly told them to set all tires to 30 psi, my Jeep felt really funny, so at work today, I decided to get out the gauge, the new un-used spare was at 32psi, the rest were at 26psi and below!!!!
5th They told me the total, and then when I went to pay it was like $30 higher than what I was quoted.

I called and complained to the so-called svc manager, he was a total jerk and I told him I would never be back, and that I would make sure, nobody else I knew or came in contact with would either.....

The good news is, that I equalled out the tire pressures and my Jeep drives as sweet as it did before I walked into the Goodyear!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I had to have one mounted and balanced, I hope they did that ok...

But at least, I can do my own simple rotations from now on....

I think I am now starting to truly understand, NOT letting anybody else touch the jeep..

And some of the fault is my own anyways, when it drove funny, I should of checked it with the gauge right away. I should have also checked to make sure my spare tire lock and little zip bag were in the Jeep before I left. Blind truest is bad period.

I wrote the last post right after I got off the phone with a mostly very apathetic svc manager. (I am much better now..lol)

I may go get a torque wrench too, I went to buy one, but the higher torque types were more expensive than I expected so I have barrowed one twice now, three times certainly means I need to go buy one.

·
Registered
326 Posts
There's a tool warehouse place near me that puts torque wreches on sale for $30.00 every few months. Even a good one goes out of calibration after a while (especially if you drop it :oops:), so now I just buy a new one every couple of years and garage sale the old one for $20.00.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The other thing you always need to watch for is the monkeys that just zip the lug nuts down with the impact gun. I've had mine cross threaded, snapped, and had them crack a rim.

The other thing with torque wrenches is don't just pull them out, set them and go use them. Clamp a bolt in a vice and run a couple of torque settings before. This flexes the torque arm inside and you will get a more accurate torque.

Ron

·
Registered
186 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
The other thing you always need to watch for is the monkeys that just zip the lug nuts down with the impact gun. I've had mine cross threaded, snapped, and had them crack a rim.

The other thing with torque wrenches is don't just pull them out, set them and go use them. Clamp a bolt in a vice and run a couple of torque settings before. This flexes the torque arm inside and you will get a more accurate torque.

Ron
Yeah, those apes cross threaded all the lugs on one of my wheels. I was wobbling down the road and found the wheel about to come off. The manager claimed that the right rear on jeeps tend to "loosen up". They had to replace all the lugs on that one wheel (at my expense of course). Stay away from Big 10 Tires down here.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well now that I have all 5 35" tires mounted and balanced, I don't expect to go near another tire shop til they wear out.

After this, I am even afraid to take the thing to the dealer for maintanence / warranty work at all.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is very rare to find a shop that actually does quality work. I cringe everytime I have to take one of my cars into the shop. I try to do everything myself, if I can.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stevo said:
Yeah, those apes cross threaded all the lugs on one of my wheels. I was wobbling down the road and found the wheel about to come off. The manager claimed that the right rear on jeeps tend to "loosen up". They had to replace all the lugs on that one wheel (at my expense of course). Stay away from Big 10 Tires down here.
So Steve does this mean you went with bigger tires for the Rubi?

Ron

·
Registered
478 Posts
PBR Stitch said:

Ron
Impact guns gotta be the number one cause of lug nut or stud failure. Wheel nuts and studs will last forever if you dab a little anti-seize compound on them and use a breaker bar and socket. I fix everything on my jeep and I have most tools (except for a press and a sandblaster)...I don't even want a compressor. I fill my tires with a CO2 bottle. Air tools make too much noise for me, I like taking my time.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
i only use Discount Tire .....
they have a air gun with a overtorque protection
device its to protect over tighten the nuts.
then they finish off your nuts with a Torque Wrench
makes ya feel good when some one take care
to not FUBAR your JP.
very professional

:wink:

·
Registered
186 Posts
So Steve does this mean you went with bigger tires for the Rubi?

Ron
Not yet, just thought I would "save time" and have them do my tire rotation. Ended up taking more time because I had to go back to get it done right. I have been trolling around for prices on 33s though.
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I rotate my tires every 3K myself! Also do my own oil changes and brake work. Can't do much work when it comes to anything involving the computer tho, they have it set up so that you need their system to reset any sensor work. I find myself unhappy with the work others do most of the time, even if they do a good job I hate that I had to pay out the a$$. :shock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts