Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend blew a pinion seal on the rear of his 05 Rubi. No problem, replace the seal. We get cracking.

WHAT? There’s no pinion nut? Where the heck is it?!!!??

Long story short - No symptoms or leaks. The bearings were worn. This created movement that worked the nut off. Then even more movement and a blown seal. Here’s what we found after removing the cover…

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
So this Penguin is driving through the desert when his car breaks down.
He gets it towed to a local mechanic who lets him know it's gonna take a while to diagnose it and that there is a diner down the road where the penguin can get something to eat while be waits
The penguin starts walking to the diner and quickly realizes it's a lot hotter here than his home
When he gets to the Diner, he orders large ice cream sundae and dives in face first making quite a mess.
Once he is done, he heads back to the mechanic shop.
When he walks in, the mechanic sees him and says
It's looks like you blew a seal.
The Penguin replies
Oooooo No, this is Ice Cream
:ROFLMAO:

Crazy how that nut just worked itself off.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Interesting. And a good heads up.

The rear pinion nut on my LJ kept coming loose. I'd gun it down, check it a few months later and it would be loose again. Tightened it three times. But I was worried, about exactly what you have there, and didn't want it to happen at an, eh, "inopportune" time. I regularly get about as far from anything as it's possible to get in my Jeep. Often by myself. Almost always not another vehicle.

Front axle had some brackets in bad shape too. So, few weeks ago, dropped them both.

Bought a master install kit for the rear. And Artec brackets for the front. Took both axles to my buddies house - who has skills and tools well beyond my level, he's built literally hundreds of axles. He can take apart a Dana axle and put it back together with his eyes closed. Like some guys like to do with their pistols, LOL! Actually, he can do the same with Toyota axles, AAM's, GM's, Super Duty's, etc. It's a side gig for him these days, but a lot of people around here use him for all this kind of stuff. He does super good, careful, thoughtful work. I'm grateful to have him as a resource.

Turns out, everything was good in the rear axle (except that pesky pinion nut coming loose...). But it has all new bearings and all specs have been double checked (and of course a new pinion nut). Front axle has new beefy suspension brackets. Should be good to go for long range patrol, starting in a few days.

- DAA

·
3,779 Posts
Dave, were you ever able to keep that pinion nut tight?

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Not the old one. It was on it's way to being loose again when we tore it down to replace all the bearings and install a new nut. Hasn't been that long or that many miles since. So I'm just going to have to see if it stays tight now. The bearings all looked good though, some wear, for sure, but looked good over all. They are all new now anyway.

- DAA

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'll have to check mine...never have...

Would a drop of Loctite 271 solve this or has that been tried?

I used it by mistake on my sway bar disconnect. Wound up stripping the nut n bolt trying to remove it. If I had known a bit of heat would have prevented that. Saw the telltale red when I got it apart. I used blue for most things.

Thanks for the heads up...out to wrenching...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts