Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I bought the Warrior 5" diamond plated rocker paneling for my Rubi (I saw it on a jeep when I was a kid and always wanted it ever since) only problem is that in order to install it I will need to cut off about 1/2 inch of the bottom so that my metal cloak rocksliders can be installed properly.

So what is the best way do this? I know that I will need to seal the cut edge up so it doesn't rust (as with anytime I exlose raw metal on my Rubi) but can I take an angle grinder and just trim off the necessary amount?

Thanks in advance-

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I found that heat is not good for powder coating. That said I prefer a sawzall with plenty of lubrication. And definitely treat the exposed metal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found that heat is not God for powder coating. That said I prefer a sawzall with plenty of lubrication. And definitely treat the exposed metal.
I suppose the one good thing about this scenario is that the cut edge will be covered or mostly obscured by the rock sliders, so if I do screw it up it probably won't be super obvious.

Thanks for your input.

:beerchug:

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,967 Posts
Powder coat can take heat up to 400-500f for short times. plasma cutters are too hot and will break the polymer backbone. I would suggest that no matter how you cut it, repaint the whole thing. powder coat is not the best coating, and once integrity is lost it tends to peel off. Cut the metal, than with a wire wheel remove the powdercoat within about 1" of the cut. Then scuff the powder coat and paint the whole part. read my painting steel threads in the FAQ section (I am a paint Chemist). Where are yon in MI, i am south of the city.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts