Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone that does any of their own maintenance/repairs/troubleshooting should own a MOPAR Factory Service Manual (FSM). Not one of those crappy Chiltons or Haynes books but an actual MOPAR FSM. The FSM also includes complete wiring diagrams.
They are available in hard copy or digital from various sources. I bought my three volume hard copy in 2003 before I even took possession of the 2004 Rubicon I ordered.
I like the hard copy because of my age I guess. Is easy to flip through pages, I can have it on the bench without worrying about it getting broke, can put post-its with notes in it and the battery never goes low.
This is a good time to let someone know you want one for Christmas:grin2:

·
Registered
771 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my intent wasn't to start a thread of best thing to buy for working on your Jeep, but rather, the first thing to buy for working on your Jeep:wink2:
My reasoning, you can have all the tools and toys in the world but that book gives you knowledge.
The FSM also explains the theory of operation for all the sub-systems and has wiring diagrams with color and gauge of wire.
This forum is a great place for sharing information and helping each other, but I see factory based questions asked here often that can be found in my FSM quicker than typing the question.

OK... continue listing your favorite shop tools.....:grin2:

One of mine is a good light with a magnet mount.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I completely agree with the FSM. My Rubi was purchased 12/16/03 and I ordered a FSM from eBay on 12/18/03.

I wish there was a book showing how home mechanics have built their own version of the high prices specialty tools referenced in the FSM.

A magnetic drop light has been my favorite tool. Much, much nicer than the hook variety that only seems to point in your eyes or exactly where you don't need light.

Cordless impacts seem to be popular. I might have to check them out to see what I'm missing :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts