Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the factory Rubicon Flares. I really like the factory look with the flat top and smooth finish. but I am not willing to pay the $184.00 each that my dealer wants. I am looking for suggestions on aftermarket Flares. Possibly some that would hold up better offroad (Polyurethane?) Looking for comparable sized flare.

TIA

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
i am running 6" warn flares. they make my rig street legal, keep a lot of mud off the body (especially when expelling the mud when i hit the asphalt again), and the flares flex pretty good when rubbing trees and what not.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I think the Bushwackers are the "best looking" but I run the Xenon ones and they are much more flexible. I gave them a coat of paint for plastic to make them glossy like the factory ones.

George

(edit to change Besttops to Bushwackers as this is what I ment but it was just too damn early in the morning and the brain wasn't working yet)

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Bushwacker 6" pocket style flares. They look awesome and they hold up very well.

Contrary to popular belief, they flex very well. I was stuffing them Sunday countless times and actually my right side front fender is buckled but the flare flexed and did not crack. In fact it's still flexed because I haven't pounded the metal back just yet :eek:

·
Registered
694 Posts
jeffj78 said:
Bushwacker 6" pocket style flares. They look awesome and they hold up very well.

Contrary to popular belief, they flex very well. I was stuffing them Sunday countless times and actually my right side front fender is buckled but the flare flexed and did not crack. In fact it's still flexed because I haven't pounded the metal back just yet :eek:
x2 on those.....they are the bestest.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I took my stock flares off(tomb raider, bushwacker pocket style ) and replaced them with stock T J Sport flares for more room and clearance and like it alot better. I dont have to worry about bashing them in because I hit my tire and rim first.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
jeffj78 said:
They do look awsome but I have to strongly disagree with the "they hold up very well" statement, :roll:

The Warn flare win hands down IMHO when it comes to durability, flexabilty, fit and finninsh.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
B-MAN, I'll agree to disagree with you :D

I have seen more of the Warn's crack then the BW's. I watched a guy last winter run his BW's into a tree and they bouced back. I watched Dino crack his Warn's at Badlands...

I have heard the Warn's do flex more, I just haven't seen it.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
jeffj78 said:
B-MAN, I'll agree to disagree with you :D
I guess we'll agree to disagree :D , Every BW pocket flair I've seen on the trails up here has been broken on the ride home (I've got a set in the garage that have been epoxied and stitched up more time than I can count, we even phoned BW to see if we got some defective ones, their answer was "they aren't made for extreme use"), we rub the flairs all day long and I've yet to see a Warn break...

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
On a side note, I ran the Xenon 6" flares for a while, they are very durable but don't fit well, you almost have to bend them a bit (more so for the fronts) to get them to line up in my experience, but you can tie one in a knot without it cracking (I've tried) 8)

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
just an installation tip for the Warn flares. the bolts (factory) that are threaded into the body have a smaller flange than the bolts that have a backing plate. this may cause some of the hole in the flare to be exposed when mounted. i was afraid that if i really grabbed a tree or something that it may pull the flare off the body. i used some fairly large fender washers to fully cover up the exposed hole in the flare. HTH and makes sense.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input. I found a killer deal on some brand new factory Rubicon Flares in the box for $209 for the complete set of four.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
cool! the only thing i didn't like about the Rubicon flares is the fact that they are painted. i only had them on for a few months and they were already starting to peel (i think, in part, from the powerwasher).

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
RuBob said:
cool! the only thing i didn't like about the Rubicon flares is the fact that they are painted. i only had them on for a few months and they were already starting to peel (i think, in part, from the powerwasher).
I found that the gravel and mud coming off the front tire was basting the coating/paint off the rears, so I put that little extra piece/flare thing on the rocker panel (the ones that came with the BW pocket flares) , you'd be suprized how much crap those things keep off the rear flares and more importanlty IMO, the door windows,...I don't know why they don't put them one Rubi's???...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would say to look at the Omix ada 7in flares.. I think there is another size as well if your not needing the full 7inches. I am running these and they work awesome. They are not smooth like the stock flares more like the older TJ flares.. not sure on fading because I have only had them since April. However just about everyone I know that is running Bushwackers has craked or broken their flares. These on the other hand are extremely durable and I have totally bent the flare the oppsite way (tree between the tub and axle) and it popped right out no creases, cracks or anything except a little marring. The best part about them is that they were like 115 bucks.. I think that was on special, but they are the cheapest and best buy IMO. For what you stated one flare will cost.. (184?)You can buy all four and get the little rocker flare too.. comes with new hardwear and look decent.. if you want pics lemme know.. I wanted to see actual photos before I bought mine.. but nobody seemed to be running these..

-Joe

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
6duce said:
I would say to look at the Omix ada 7in flares.. I think there is another size as well if your not needing the full 7inches. I am running these and they work awesome. They are not smooth like the stock flares more like the older TJ flares.. not sure on fading because I have only had them since April. However just about everyone I know that is running Bushwackers has craked or broken their flares. These on the other hand are extremely durable and I have totally bent the flare the oppsite way (tree between the tub and axle) and it popped right out no creases, cracks or anything except a little marring. The best part about them is that they were like 115 bucks.. I think that was on special, but they are the cheapest and best buy IMO. For what you stated one flare will cost.. (184?)You can buy all four and get the little rocker flare too.. comes with new hardwear and look decent.. if you want pics lemme know.. I wanted to see actual photos before I bought mine.. but nobody seemed to be running these..

-Joe
I am definately interested to see how these flares look. Please post, Thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts