Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
3,369 Posts
There's only two or three manufacturers in the U.S., Johnson Controls is one of the largest (manufacturers of the Interstate brand), there's Exide and I think East Penn.
There is EnerSys also, I think they make the Odyssey batteries, but I am not sure they are a stand along manufacturer or owned by another company.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Why I got the Advanced battery this time, the one I bought has a good warranty, and the store is about 3/4's of a mile away.

IMHO, a store 3/4 of a mile away won't be of much help when you're out in the middle of nowhere and your battery dies. If you have a manual trans you might be able to coast start it (if you're a the top of a hill) otherwise you're screwed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can speak from experience. I went the Wal Mart route thinking about ease of replacement. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but ease of replacement and ease of actually replacing are two different tasks. They don't call them never starts for nothing. 3 swap outs later, now I have the odyssey. Sometimes convenience isn't such a good thing.

·
1,531 Posts
I bought an Odyssey through Autozone. In my case it takes them two days to get it. I didn’t include the core charge or tax. I found the supplier Autozone on the supplier search on the Odyssey website. I suppose you could look on your phone’s local search. Mine pretty much showed Autozone. Some places on the web offer free shipping. I wanted to “walk in” for mine.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I replace mine every five years whether it thinks it needs it or not. Just spend too much time alone a long, long way from anything to take a chance. I carry a jump pack too, belt and suspenders.

But I've been running the Odyssey for four years now, absolutely no complaints. About a week ago, orgot to turn my camp lights off and left them on all night in single digit temps, fridge, radio and nav all running all night too, no problem starting the next morning. Will replace it next year anyway, just on GP.

- DAA

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I've run a few NAPA brand batteries (East Penn, IIRC) and I've been happy with them. I ran one in my old Bronco, the one in my Jeep is about 6 years old, and I just dumped one in my wife's GC. The prices have gone up, but I think that's true across all vehicle batteries.

·
Registered
2005 Rubicon LJ
36 Posts
I used to prefer Optima batteries before they started making them south of the border. I always had great luck with them until the 15yo one in my LJ died. I replaced it with 4 Optima batteries within about 6 weeks. Right now I am running a Autozone AGM battery which is 3yo. so far so good.
Johnson Controls recently sold its automotive battery business to a company called Clarios. Hopefully there is an improvement in the quality, because IMO anything Johnson Controls manufactured was junk.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just an opinion from my research for top if the line AGM $$ batteries - in no specific order"
Group 65: Super Start, Odyssey, Northstar. None made by Johnson Controls. If I recall correctly all three use 100% new lead which accounts for the high cost and improved specs?
Do your own comparison of the specs, etc. (I bought the Odyssey).
For much lower cost per Consumer Reports the only flooded batteries worth considering would be:
G65: Diehard
G35: Everstart north
Did not look, but I suspect both are JCI batteries tailored to the retail market for the sellers.

·
Administrator
10,847 Posts
I read/heard somewhere that all of that lead used is recycled and from Mexico?

·
1,531 Posts
Odyssey claims their plates are 99% lead and not the average lead alloy of other brands. I wouldn’t know except for their unique performance.

·
3,472 Posts
Last time I bought an Odyssey they claimed all new lead.

·
1,531 Posts
My last info was from their website.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts