Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall several threads some time ago recommending a "Sears Platinum battery" for the Jeep but I cant seem to find them on the Sears site. Did Sears stop making the Platinum battery? If so can anyone recommend a battery to run the Jeep and winch? I'm also not sure what size battery? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Sears did stop making their Platinum battery IIRC. I would use an AGM battery from any of the major brands and for my 04 TJ its a group 34 IIRC.
Stay away from wet cell batteries and put the winch on the posts, not side terminals.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yep...get a Hawker Odyssey

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Good to know about this Odyssey thing. I've had nothing but a DieHard Platinum AGM in mine since the factory battery went bad. Very disappointing to see Sears tanking.

·
Registered
290 Posts
East Penn Intimidator is a good brand, But the Odyssey is better because thet use non-recycled lead. The result is a much higher cost. Both are AGM technology

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
There's a lot of info here on ROF about batteries. Just use "search". One often mentioned is the Interstate AGM.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
East Penn Intimidator is a good brand, But the Odyssey is better because they use non-recycled lead. The result is a much higher cost. Both are AGM technology
Have had the Platium Die Hard aka Odyssey in Stinger since 2007. It has been stone dead - my fault- several times but has always come back and still serves me well. I will replace any battery with the Odyssey when the time comes.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've got an odyssey but only for the past year so I don't have an opinion other that it was expensive. Time will tell.

·
Administrator
10,786 Posts
AGM battery chemistry is superior to gel or the traditional flooded cell, I have three premium (~$400 each) Group 31 Lifeline AGM house batteries in the coach and they should last me 7-10 years. I replace the last set at 7 years just because. When they first came on the market, they were primarily designed for moderate deep discharge and not the tremendous surge of a starter. Now they can serve both duties

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I have a DHP. When it dies, I'm going to a battery retailer (i.e. Interstate, Batteries+) and getting whatever AGM 34 they have. I've read too many horror stories of warrantying batteries purchased online. Either you pay haz-mat shipping back to the mfr, or spend hours driving to/from the nearest authorized retailer (hopefully they had a replacement on hand so you don't have to make a second trip to pick one up). A warranty is just a marketing gimmick if you can't readily use it. Especially if you're in the pro-rata portion of the warranty where it could be cheaper to just buy a new one.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a DHP. When it dies, I'm going to a battery retailer (i.e. Interstate, Batteries+) and getting whatever AGM 34 they have. I've read too many horror stories of warrantying batteries purchased online. Either you pay haz-mat shipping back to the mfr, or spend hours driving to/from the nearest authorized retailer (hopefully they had a replacement on hand so you don't have to make a second trip to pick one up). A warranty is just a marketing gimmick if you can't readily use it. Especially if you're in the pro-rata portion of the warranty where it could be cheaper to just buy a new one.
What dipper says make sense. I have made lots of battery purchases and in the end they all go bad. In recent years for convenience buy from Costco or Walmart as these stores are all over and replacement simple. I get the best one they have and get reasonable life and performance.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I run a Advanced Auto, before that Costco, before that OEM. As long as they crank my vehicle they are all good. Three batteries in 12 years, not bad. They all lasted about the same amount of time, and they all did the job.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I had a 8 year old Diehard Platinum agm battery and didn't realize how bad it had gotten, sneaks up on you. Put in a new diehard gold agm, same battery pretty much, runs 100% better. a bad battery causes undervoltage to your computer and ignition, jeep runs like crapola. New battery runs like new.

·
3,369 Posts
Put in a new diehard gold agm, same battery pretty much, runs 100% better.
I have a older DHP AGM that will be coming due here before too long. I looked at the golds as an option. As far as a warranty though it appears that the interstate brand has some good specs also. Attached are what they spec for a 2004, size 34.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,786 Posts
There's only two or three manufacturers in the U.S., Johnson Controls is one of the largest (manufacturers of the Interstate brand), there's Exide and I think East Penn.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
There's only two or three manufacturers in the U.S., Johnson Controls is one of the largest (manufacturers of the Interstate brand), there's Exide and I think East Penn.

Why I got the Advanced battery this time, the one I bought has a good warranty, and the store is about 3/4's of a mile away.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts