Rubicon Owners Forum banner
421 - 440 of 448 Posts

·
Administrator
11,455 Posts
Blaine did my hydro installation - hydro assist braking and steering. Mine was the first conversion he did with a hydraulic winch (Mile Marker 10,500 pound winch.) He also has the Vanco parts. The Vanco brake upgrade with hydro assist (in place of the vacuum master cylinder) braking is an amazing combination. Hydro boost increases braking performance at least by a factor of two over and above just the Vanco kit.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
I never heard of doing the Hydro assist for braking as well.
I had the PSC Hydro steering on my Rubicon and it was awesome.

·
Administrator
11,455 Posts
Hydro-boost braking might be one of those Blaine engineered things. One of the guys here ("Stinger" - Frank - passed away about 18 months ago) did an LS conversion on his LJ and added hydro-boost brakes but never could get them to work properly. I'll try to remember to take a picture of mine.

·
3,746 Posts
Hydro-boost brakes are standard fare in diesel trucks due to their inherent lack of vacuum. There are a few other vehicles that also use it (Astro vans, etc.). It roughly doubles the hydraulic fluid pressure within the system.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #425 ·
Well a few parts started to trickle in. The smoked turn signal housings, the new fog light/turn signal shifter and the JW Speaker headlights. Very happy with the headlight selection...

Comparison to the Trucklight LED

The LJ is the recipient of one of the Trucklights off the LS Jeep which is why I could justify the purchase.

Other parts should be trickling in over the next few days...

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
Damn those are bright!!
Indeed, very happy with the purchase although I really like the Trucklights as well.

Am I the only one who thinks it should stay 3 different colors?
I like the red hood and aluminum corners.
She my red hooded step Jeep.

Reactions: Mouse

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #429 ·
And more parts...

The new coolant reservoir. I will be converting the old plastic coolant reservoir to a windshield wiper fluid reservoir and mounting the equipment on that container.. the stock reservoir is very bulky and space consuming and I have absolutely zero room for the original reservoir to fit.

New location for the gas filler nozzle. Only place it can go, I think it will look pretty good paired next to a Lightdot.

And the new look will be more Knight Rider smoked! Maybe I should name her B.I.T.T. For Busch Industries Two Thousand...

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
to bad you can make your tail light swing out for the fuel filler.

Hoping there is enough angle on the hose to the tank that low, also the bend of the hose to the tank.

I need to finally figure out my final gas filler position, once I get back to the LJ project.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
🤔 Now that’s a good idea!

Hoping there is enough angle on the hose to the tank that low, also the bend of the hose to the tank.
I need to finally figure out my final gas filler position, once I get back to the LJ project.
There is not. I have tried numerous positions but gas nozzles are long and this is really difficult to figure out. I want it to function like stock so the Jeep is not a pita to fill up.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
That would bring Gas Lighting to a whole new level.
:ROFLMAO:
I do like that idea. I wonder if you could run the wires in a way that allow you to double side tape or velcro the light dot to the Fuel filler door?
Other option may be to measure the absolute largest circle that could fit in the stock-ish location and see if something exists
Or
Would it be highly illegal to have the fuel door on the inside of the jeep?
It would mean you would have to open the rear tailgate, but then it could be in the same spot. From a safety point of view, I can't see that being any different than a fuel cell that sits where the rear seat used to be.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
On the filler neck topic, on the TJ, I just have a short hose and fill the tank from within the wheel well. On the LJ, looks like I will be doing the same thing. I do like the clean look of no filler on the side of the tub.

looking forward to your solution, I may copy it.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
Hydro-boost braking might be one of those Blaine engineered things. One of the guys here ("Stinger" - Frank - passed away about 18 months ago) did an LS conversion on his LJ and added hydro-boost brakes but never could get them to work properly. I'll try to remember to take a picture of mine.

Sorry to hear Frank passed.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·
The ORO lite dots came in so when I have time I am going to rewire both the LJ and the TJ’s trailer lights and add Savvy tail lights to the LJ as well. Looks like the front and rear diffs are leaking again so the Currie Rock Jocks are continuing to be a pita. Rear axle also has a seal leak on the drivers side. Few other leaks have sprouted in the engine bay so I need to get back under the hood. She’s been sitting at Nate’s Precision getting the a/c lines built but we hit some part snags so I have the rig back in my company for a while. Hopefully I will get after some more projects so I can share the progress.

·
Registered
2005 Rubicon,4" Currie Lift and Steering, 1" BL, Savvy Rear Bumper, Savvy Engine Skid, GenRight Alum
203 Posts
Are you building both Jeeps, I thought you were done with the TJ

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #439 ·
Are you building both Jeeps, I thought you were done with the TJ
Doubt I’ll ever be done with either of them. Still have lots of little projects for the TJ and hopefully off to paint soon. I’m building the LJ for my son.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
In progress... my son wants them on the LJ (his Jeep). lol

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

421 - 440 of 448 Posts