Rubicon Owners Forum banner

381 - 400 of 412 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #381

So it was obvious JSS covered up the work given the crack had JB Weld sanded down and then some black stuff covering the work. Not sure what the black coating was but whatever they did it did not work. It infuriates me JSS did a half ass job by putting a broken/cracked part on there. Then when Todd was pulling it out of the bay he was like 'well the oil pan is leaking' but in reality had to of known it was that ****** cover up work. Cutting corners then not truthful is what it boils down to. I would have understood if JSS didn't have the part on hand and were trying to simply get it running but he was not truthful with me which lead me down a road of complete frustration trying to figure out the problem. It was on the inside and covered up so you could not tell what they had done. Why would you put a cracked cover on there??? WTF Jeep Speed Shop.

I highly recommend if anyone comes across this thread thinking they want Todd to do their conversion do yourself a favor and run! Between that wacko 'Cowsh!t' in NY and Todd/JSS cutting corners I may be chasing problems for months/years to come. Absolute nightmare for me. I have about had it with some of the custom shops out there, they have no reserve to f you over.

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
Well i am getting to figure out all the pressure weak links and today sprouted another weakness. I was able to take the rig for a 20 minute drive and man it was fun, effortlessly fast! With that said steering lines held and no engine oil leaks but as soon as I got back to my shop and I was loading my truck to head home I noticed a new leak that started. Red fluid and it is coming from the location pictured below. Thinking ATF??

I don't think the either of those two hose lines are the issue but rather coming from just above so I am not really sure what that is, possibly part of the transmission cooler? If anyone can tell by all means...

·
1,783 Posts
One looks like a seal/clamp issue. The drip on the other line doesn’t look like it’s from the clamp. The drip on the housing would make me look upward, however the wind does crazy things with leaky transmission fluid and it‘s possible all the fluid came from the seal at the hard line, rubber line. Does the end of those hard lines have sealing flares on them? I’m not sure what you call those flares. I have weeping cooler connections on my TJ that make it look like a total leaker, but my fluid levels are always fine. Your weeping seems more aggressive.

Reactions: bbusch

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #386 (Edited)
At first look I thought the seal on the left line let loose however after further investigation it appears it's coming down from that housing just above. Two leaks would be a heck of a coincidence but possible. You're right tho.. wind can do crazy things so when I go back down later this week I will clean it up and see if I can get the leak to start up again just sitting in place. It would be a relief if it is only the line and that might make since given the lines are kinda resting on the drag link (very lightly if at all so highly unlikely causing issue). There are some sort of flares/seals but not really sure, I'll have to take a further look later this week. If it is coming from the unit/part just above I am concerned it will be a pita to repair/remove. Anyone know what that is? Has a small belt line going to the engine.

The leak just sprouted and in a short amount of time, within minutes of me noticing, while engine was still cooling off I noticed a significant amount on the ground.

Getting close!

edit...
To me that belt driven part appears to be the air conditioner which is not being used. Hoping it's the lines. I also have a bad starter or a bad flex plate and hopefully that issue has not caused this leaking issue.

Reactions: Norminator

·
1,783 Posts
I’d put one more turn on the leaky looking clamp. Clean everything up, and then put a rubber glove zip tied around it top and bottom. Then see if you have another source by driving or waiting.

·
Administrator
11,205 Posts
^^ that's a good idea ^^ You could also zip tie a small rag or blue shop towel at various points for telltales.

·
3,633 Posts
That looks like orange engine coolant to me

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
That looks like orange engine coolant to me

Bam... I bet that's what it is! It looked more orangish red to me. Going to check coolant lines after cleaning everything. That makes the most sense given I had just given the rig some hard runs round the back roads.

Appreciate the tips/ideas guys. You all are very helpful and means a lot to me. True friends out there.

Reactions: Mouse

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
coolant will be stickier

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Been some time since last report. I have the rig going finally and working on the details like custom A/C lines. The Jeep is an absolute blast to drive with insane power and good handling for what it is.

Given the hardships I have run into I can now say that I am really happy with the rig and look forward to all the custom projects that still need dialing. Stereo sounds great too but working on install still.

COVID has been a rough one for me given the economic shutdown but I can report I have had tons of time to get work done on this rig and other machines I am a slave to. The air conditioning shop had the rig for two weeks but finally called and said to bring it back in September when they aren’t slammed. I don’t think there are too many shops in the area capable of making custom lines or probably care to.

God bless everyone. Prepare and be ready to stand up for your faith in Christ because my research shows the time is near you will need to choose. May you choose wisely fellow Jeepers.

·
1,783 Posts
Congrats on your progress. Sounds like you’re breathing again.

Got that right about Christ. I used to think it would be cool to live in the last days. I didn’t know how messed up it would be. Good thing the timing isn’t up to me or we’d be outta here and those yet to know Christ would be outta luck.

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Congrats on your progress. Sounds like you’re breathing again.

Got that right about Christ. I used to think it would be cool to live in the last days. I didn’t know how messed up it would be. Good thing the timing isn’t up to me or we’d be outta here and those yet to know Christ would be outta luck.

Kinda hot driving her mid day given summer time but otherwise not too bad, evenings/earlier day are pleasant.

I am not adjusting well to all the changes and really don’t know what to think or say. End of days.. I’d say. Gonna be a bit tho so grab the popcorn, 45, hide the women and the precious metals and don’t take thatvax

Amen brother! Glad to have you check back in, I can only imagine how much fun that would be to drive.
You don’t want to stop driving fun!

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,102 Posts
Sweet that you are seeing it take shape. I have a 5.3 in my LJ and it is a rocket sledgehammer, I can only imagine what yours is like.

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
Nothing new to report on the LS TJ other than I do drive it from time to time and it continues to be a blast to drive. I have a new front driveshaft I need to install but really it just sits in the boat shop most of the time awaiting lots of little project cleanups. One issue I really want to address is I will need to remove the steering box and better balance the wheel pulley so it doesn’t squeel on startup and chirp for the first little while when warming up. Currently Mr Blaine has the LJ RS and that rig is about to get some upgrades like Savvy mid arm setup. That is the focus at the moment. If funds permit I will be addressing the steering with full PSC setup and possibly a brake upgrade. I just want to daily drive that rig for a few years with the 4.0 then I will look into installing the 5.7 Hemi and 545rfe tranny I have stored with 33k on them. I am going to do the hemi swap locally and hopefully be more hands on with the actual swap. Anyway just wanted to check in, I’m still around.

God Bless ROF and all its members.

381 - 400 of 412 Posts