Rubicon Owners Forum banner

341 - 346 of 346 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
I wanted to comment that I have recently spoken to Quinn at All J and also Andrew at GenRight and I do want to cut both shops a break given my frustration after the suspension build was completed in May of 2015. I think in the end once I get my rig going I may have GenRight go over everything and see if we can't get the setup perfect (mostly the issue with the front diff leak). I do think I am going to be happy with the setup once all the BS blows over with the major portions of the build and getting a good shop in place that can actually help me when i need it. Anyway when I spoke with Andrew he did seem committed to making things good with the front differential issues I am having so I think the best answer would be to let GenRight's in house shop look at it. As far as Quinn goes with All J Motorsports, after speaking with him for the first time recently (since the work they did on my rig in 2015) I have decided that perhaps I was a bit hard on him over something that he seems to think is a perfectly functional design despite what some other shops have disputed to me. He went on to explain to me that he has tens of rigs if not a hundred now running around with the design without any issues being reported so I think I am going to replace the Ram and hopefully everything works well once the pump is properly installed. He mentioned that Blaine among other shops also use the design and if that is indeed the case then I have a bit more faith with the setup.

At this point I would really like to get the rig safely moving on it's own power, tuned and then I can focus on any design conflicts/issues and at that point hopefully have the chance to focus on things like the stereo, remounting of fender flares, wire looming and the numerous other unfinished projects I have going on this rig. Hell come to think of it I still haven't wired in the switches to the ARB lockers so no chance to even test them at this point. I'm sure there won't be an issue but they have been in the pumpkins for nearly five years and never once activated. It really is crazy how many small projects i have going and gotten behind on with this one single build. sswhew.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Well I thought I would document the problems I am dealing with, hopefully I can tackle the issues over the next month so I can get the rig back to running status and then in for a transmission and engine tune. As of right now I either need a new flex plate or starter (I believe it's the starter), steering pump installed (having issues w/install) and that pesky engine leak. The steering pump is presenting some issues that even PSC is not helpful with so I am on my own here and will need to go custom. I need a new fitting that connects the reservoir hose to the steering pump as the PSC piece is a straight fitting and hits the frame so I believe what happened to the old pump is that Quinn at All J Motorsports put a elbow piece on there in place of (in attempt to find a solution) that ultimately failed and burned the pump up. The fitting that was used does not thread enough into the pump housing allowing it to leak the fluid out under pressure. Back in December 2016 right before I took it to JSS I crashed the rig while trying to drive it down into town to the service center. The steering locked up and the ram would not allow me to turn at all so I went straight into a snow bank. While it did not hurt my rig a passer by in a Toyota Tacoma was not so lucky and when he tried to get around me slid into my rear bumper and destroyed the rear end of his truck. I felt really bad for the guy.

Anyway here are some photos to give you guys a visual:

Below is the elbow piece I need to find a replacement for. This piece might work however the threads are not long enough so under pressure it leaks. Hoping a steering shop with ability to make or access custom fittings will solve the issue.

Next issue is I need to pull the new pump back out. I can't get a good grip on the unit tho so things are not progressing. Need to get the pulley pressed back on the pump as well which I can't do unless I am able to remove the pump (so I am told by PSC).

And here is another pesky issues.. the Prestige Billet hood brackets seized up and broke on both sides. This has presented a number of issues for me as well including making it difficult to get under the hood and raising the hood so I can work on it. The rig's paint on the cowl and driver's side fender took the brunt of the failure, both incurring deep scratches. Eddie is trying to find replacement pieces. I believe the Jeep sat for so long at JSS that water got in the hinges and settled. Once I find replacement hinges/solution I am installing the Orange AEV non highline hood for a nice mismatch in paint scheme.

So what is the big holdup here.. well I am broke, broke, broke. After spending a fortune in labor with JSS only to have them hand me a big lemon back I am financially strapped. I would have thought 18 g's in labor would give me a running and drivable rig but that did not turn out to be the case. 18 plus the cost of the engine, transmission, t-case among other parts I sourced and purchased in addition to the labor costs. So broke I can't even buy fittings to move forward with this project. So what does one typically do when they are too broke to pay a shop.. easy do it yourself. Problem is it's nearly impossible working on your rig when you don't have the proper shop or tool setup. Everything seems to get held up by what should be relatively easy fixes but not having the proper tools often stops me dead in my tracks until I can find a solution. So close to getting this rig going but so far away. Anyway I will continue to plug away at this and hopefully, one day before the earth warms, I will have the rig running and driving.

Nearly 42 months now since the steering went out, Todd had it for 34 months so needless to say I am pretty pissed off with him.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dam,sorry to read this, shop screwed ya IMO...this swap has been done many times and should have been done in a few months at best.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Dam,sorry to read this, shop screwed ya IMO...this swap has been done many times and should have been done in a few months at best.

no doubt about it. should have had this Jeep back by September 2018 but did not have it back, unfinished mind you, until nearly December 2019.

·
3,326 Posts
That 90* fitting is definitely not what you want on there. That will dramatically impede fluid flow. A smooth transitioning fitting will work best. I think the rule of thumb for the steering hydraulics is that you want less than a total of 180 degrees of bends for the entire system. I would not think it would be difficult to find a fitting. Do you know what size you need?

For the pulley, you'll need the correct tool to press it on the pump. Brute force installing the pulley can destroy the pump.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #346 (Edited)
That 90* fitting is definitely not what you want on there. That will dramatically impede fluid flow. A smooth transitioning fitting will work best. I think the rule of thumb for the steering hydraulics is that you want less than a total of 180 degrees of bends for the entire system. I would not think it would be difficult to find a fitting. Do you know what size you need?

Good information to note. I do not know the size yet but I will try and figure it out, the diameter is identical to a penny (so right at 3/4"). I will need a short fitting if I want to keep it straight but I think I may have enough room to work with depending of course on the fitting length. Ideally I would like a pneumatics shop to put a hose together for me that goes from the reservoir to the pump.

341 - 346 of 346 Posts