Rubicon Owners Forum banner

321 - 340 of 387 Posts

·
Administrator
10,542 Posts
Continuing the somewhat off topic discussion...

A good buddy quit a very large industrial machine manufacturer (he was a 2nd level manager) and opened a marine canvas shop, he and his wife worked seven days a week for years and finally was able to retire from that. There was another local canvas shop in town (Daytona Beach area) that had six or seven employees and basically that shop owner was just providing jobs for his employees with about the same owner draw. One man shop (his wife scheduled jobs) was very efficient, six or seven - not so much. Then you get involved with managing people and their jobs.

Been there with SW Bell and then AT&T - I supervised anywhere from 8 to 12 direct reports that were doing PBX installs and then data stuff. Best moment of my career was when I moved from that to a staff management position. Nobody to supervise except me.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Guys I have a bit of an update but how good not quite sure yet so here we go...

Well after 33 months of my Jeep sitting at JSS I finally had enough and asked that my rig be ready for pickup running or not running this past Wednesday (10/30). Given the power outage Northern California is dealing with I was unable to make the venture because the garage door is a 440V and the rig is up on a lift I am being told so the combo meant there is no way we getting her out of there. With that said it looks like finally I will be able to go pick the rig up next week, hopefully it will be running by then.

This experience, after the last experience doing the suspension work, has made me decide I do not want to build vehicles anymore, at least this custom. I would have never dreamed I would be lured along for nearly three years before finally throwing my hands up and saying f-it lets just shove it in the boat garage and tarp it. The cost involved has also gotten out of control and while I have the money to pay it I am pretty frustrated that the rig is not complete especially since it will be expensive to have another shop try and pick up where JSS left off. I am not really sure how to negotiate an invoice with a shop especially when they didn't get the work completed? Honestly I have lost interest in this build.. the ole rig ain't the same as she used to be and I have not even driven her 3,000 miles since 2014.

Reality ain't the same as paper that is for sure. Trying to get things done in this world is tougher than pulling teeth from a lion.

·
Administrator
10,542 Posts
You aren't alone with the build thing. A well-heeled guy in our club has a trail rig built every two or three years, these are the kinds of build that will be on the cover of Crawl magazine (and has been.) He had one shop mess around for a year (and didn't do a good job) and my friend gave up and had the LJ trailered to another shop. They had to undo some of the previous work and then complete the build. His current LJ is on the last cover (or maybe the previous one) of Crawl.

·
3,353 Posts
Glad to hear you are getting your jeep back. There are many shops who think they can do a big job, but are either under-staffed, under-skilled or a combination. I am reluctant to have any type of work done on any vehicle. Even my wifes '17 JKU for warranty, I'd prefer to pay out of pocket and do my own work. Then I know whats been done and that it is correct.

I am hoping you receive a jeep that is not too far from useable. Unless you have a contract of some sort, negotiating the bill will be difficult. At a minimum the shop should acknowledge the unacceptable length of time and should not bill you some unreasonable amount of labor hours. Litigation will be more expensive than the bill, I'm sure, so there is no shame in paying and getting away from the shop.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Guys I have a bit of an update but how good not quite sure yet so here we go...

Well after 33 months of my Jeep sitting at JSS I finally had enough and asked that my rig be ready for pickup running or not running this past Wednesday (10/30). Given the power outage Northern California is dealing with I was unable to make the venture because the garage door is a 440V and the rig is up on a lift I am being told so the combo meant there is no way we getting her out of there. With that said it looks like finally I will be able to go pick the rig up next week, hopefully it will be running by then.

This experience, after the last experience doing the suspension work, has made me decide I do not want to build vehicles anymore, at least this custom. I would have never dreamed I would be lured along for nearly three years before finally throwing my hands up and saying f-it lets just shove it in the boat garage and tarp it. The cost involved has also gotten out of control and while I have the money to pay it I am pretty frustrated that the rig is not complete especially since it will be expensive to have another shop try and pick up where JSS left off. I am not really sure how to negotiate an invoice with a shop especially when they didn't get the work completed? Honestly I have lost interest in this build.. the ole rig ain't the same as she used to be and I have not even driven her 3,000 miles since 2014.

Reality ain't the same as paper that is for sure. Trying to get things done in this world is tougher than pulling teeth from a lion.
33 months? That is insane, I hope the invoice is for zero dollars. You must have the patience of a saint, I would have gotten nasty long ago. I hope it works out for you, and it's running. 33 months, I can't wrap my head around that. I wouldn't pay them a dime. Well, I have heard dimes can be shot out of a 12 gauge, so perhaps some dimes LOL.

·
Administrator
10,542 Posts
I had a 4x4 shop in Montrose (Colorado) lined up to install a 4 link Currie RockJock D60 rear axle. Shop owner said ten days, okay fine. We rented a car so we wouldn't be stranded. I would check on Rubi every couple of days. Almost every time I stopped by they were working another vehicle doing a brake job or some other time limited job. Ten days stretched into three weeks and it would have taken much longer if I wasn't the squeaky wheel.

The shop owner told me the small jobs are the shop's bread and butter, they rarely made much if any profit on a build so guess what their priority is.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Well quick update is the Jeep is back. JSS got it running right before lunch the day I arrived and I had it out of there right after the hour. Picked rig up Monday before Thanksgiving only hours before a snow and ice storm hit so it only added to my frustration trying to get it back home. Upon loading we discovered that kook in NY at the Corvette shop didn't use a oil pan gasket so oil began to puke, I can't run it. Good news is engine fired up but unfortunately I have a mystery box on my hands given he didn't even use a gasket on the oil pan, i mean wtf. Going to shop in Reno this week to get a gasket installed and a noise at startup checked out, then hopefully I can at least load and unload the trailer with power. Plan is just to take it one step at a time and get it tuned by spring so it is at least drivable. My concern at this point is that I may need to break the engine down and have it rebuilt from scratch before any serious internal damage can occur. Given what I have gone through with this guy I purchased the motor from my nightmare may just beginning.

Unfortunately this project has just become a rat's nest of problems to report so once I have some positive news I will chime back in.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
glad you got it back.

both your projects had been a pain, next year will be better!!!

I will say on my LJ project, I should of done what I wanted to do from the start, pull the body and replace everything. I have spent way more time, and possibly money fixing things as I go. Should of just taken the big step up front and may of been done.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Well Jeep is still not going but hopefully soon. Having issue installing the new PSC steering pump. The replacement part is proving to be a real PITA and the hydraulic fitting that goes from the reservoir into the pump is too short to work for my application. Not sure what's up with that but apparently PSC has changed the design over the years at a large expense to the shop that did the pump install. They were not happy about the 'quick replacement steering pump' that took up a bay for two days. I mean at this point I can't even take it to a regular shop because you never know what complication you may run into. Jeep left that shop in worse condition than it showed up in at no fault of the shop. In fact the owner was so pissed he didn't even charge me. I feel so bad that I am going to have to find a way to make it up to him. If it turns out PSC sent the wrong part (something 4WP is looking into now as I ordered it through them) I am going to be contacting them to let them know what the install shop had to go through when they attempted to install the new pump. It just seems like everything with this Jeep (even little things) turns into a big nightmare.

Also... in an effort to get the new steering pump installed I have found out that the majority of the oil that was spraying under the rig was from the steering pump and not the front differential which is good news. While that front diff does leak it is not as bad as I originally suspected. It was hard to tell given multiple leaks. Maybe one day before i die I will get these leaks worked out. The fact JSS did not get around to fixing the steering while it was there pisses me off worse than the fact he had it for 3 years. FML.

Plan is to get the rig in for a base tune on both the engine and transmission then this summer take it back and go more advanced once I know things are cherry. I still need to get the PPW box mounted under the hood and I have lots of looming that showed up from DEi so as soon as warmer temps allow I will be on those projects.

I need me one of those god damn car bubble garages, everything is dirty here.

Rare Luxman amp going in the rig!

Mosconi amplifier to power the subwoofers

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
I get to run her but only for maybe 1/2 hour intervals. With the engine oil leak I don't want to push it. Drove her around town some but really need some tunes. When shifting you can tell the computer is often clueless so I need a parameter tune to give the system a chance to adapt. No power steering makes driving interesting with 37" tire. Currently at 4WP in Reno getting the steering repaired so hopefully we get that figured out soon and I can work on the remaining engine oil leak. The real problem at the moment is it's cold out and I have no garage at the moment. I think I am about to pull a boat out of my big storage garage so I can store a couple vehicles and maybe have room to work on them but I am finding I don't even want to work on the stereo out in these temps. My place sold in the spring after only 7 days on market. Renting at the moment and it kinda sucks.

I had a 4X4 shop in Reno replace the oil pan gasket and when they did they didn't crank down on two bolts that house the oil temp cooler. They did good to replace the seal on that part like you are suppose to but failed to tighten the housing down so given it is a high flow area of course oil started coming out. I cranked down on the two screws and they turned at least 7-8 times each so I am thinking maybe I pinched a O ring seal or something in there because oil pushed it out given it was not secured in the first place. My luck with these shops is really ******.. I can't even get a tuning shop to call me back, guess all the places in town are too busy for my business which is a good indicator for me to keep looking.

As for Todd and JSS.. well lets just say now that I am dealing with this steering pump issue (still/again) I am now pissed with him. This issue was originally why it went straight to the shop back in January of 2017 and to get the Jeep back 3 years later and the problem was never addressed after me pushing him on numerous occasions over the years to address the issue really irks the **** out of me. I mean it was there.. why the hell didn't he get it done? So F'n pissed at him over this. I now have power steering fluid all over my aluma trailer, in the bed of my Denali and all under the carriage of my rig after the latest steering pump install debacle. Infuriating.

Hopefully I can chime in soon with some good news.

·
3,353 Posts
Do you have plans to buy a new place with a garage or shop? Hang in there with the repairs. I can't believe the bad luck you've had over several years and several shops.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Do you have plans to buy a new place with a garage or shop? Hang in there with the repairs. I can't believe the bad luck you've had over several years and several shops.

Absolutely. Had to sign a rental lease for a year to adjust and figure things out but hopefully soon.

So the saga continues with 4WP of Reno calling me back Monday morning (after I spoke with Jeff at PSC to get some ideas on a solution to my problem) and they wiped their hands of the Jeep. Held on to the Jeep for ten days then didn't even want to bother to try, such a waste of time. When I was standing there waiting for 20 minutes to pick up my Jeep that had 0 battery power and no power steering or belt line I couldn't help but be annoyed by the big sign that says 'We install all the parts we sell'. I was like.. oh really?

Postive in all this...

F it! Pulled the Formula out in the snow and now I can work on the Jeep and the bmw sound system in a heated garage so long as I can avoid these heart stoppers. I have yet to see a Black Widow while living out West over last 15 years as it's my understanding they don't survive well at elevation. This big girl didn't disappoint.

·
Administrator
10,542 Posts
We found a black widow a few months ago, the orange hourglass on the back was more pronounced. I found out their web is silky and a random pattern.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here we get BIG ones..some try to live in shop early winter but die. Summer shop gets some but I bomb it at least once a year.

They really don't pose a problem but sure creep me out when they surprise me looking for something.

·
Registered
200 Posts
In you need a GREAT tuner in Sparks PM me he got my cammed LS running great!

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
In you need a GREAT tuner in Sparks PM me he got my cammed LS running great!

I do need a great tuner. Sparks is perfect so expect a PM soon.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #340

Well kinda. It's so packed in there right now I can't do much unless I push the Sea-Doo Speedster out of there and pull the car up out of the way. My life situation at the moment really sucks but I am trying to be thankful for what I got. At 40y/o I wouldn't have dreamed in prior years I would be so vulnerable at this point in my life. To have most of my things stacked in two storage garages is really leaving me wondering where things went wrong for me.

Thanks for the lead on the bug juice.. thankfully bugs are not too big a problem here but I may find down the hill they are a bit more of a nuisance.

321 - 340 of 387 Posts