Rubicon Owners Forum banner

301 - 320 of 398 Posts

·
Administrator
10,915 Posts
Document everything - every contact with him and every time he wouldn't respond. Hopefully you have some sort of documentation about the deal terms you arranged with him. When I had that problem with the repair shop, my first step was having an attorney sent a letter detailing the situation and expected remediation. I do hope you you hold this bum accountable for what is basically theft.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Some Good News... I secured a core today. I can release shipment now on my transmission so that means from the time I ordered the transmission to the time it will be delivered will be less than two weeks. Core gets shipped right back to them, done deal! I get a remanufactured unit that due to having that core will yield me a total cost of only $2,970. Not too bad. Unfortunately you have to tack on another $2,000 assuming I never see my money from CoW$H!T.

If legal actions have started, its probably best if I/we did not call. I meant it though, and would gladly do so if you think it would help in some sort of way.
I'm sure I am stuck with going to court with this guy so that is that. ^^^ Guys this is why I like the Jeep Community and not so much the Vette Community, nuff said.

Document everything - every contact with him and every time he wouldn't respond. Hopefully you have some sort of documentation about the deal terms you arranged with him. When I had that problem with the repair shop, my first step was having an attorney sent a letter detailing the situation and expected remediation. I do hope you you hold this bum accountable for what is basically theft.
Good advice. I'm certainly going to get something sent by an attorney outlying the options. I do have a few issues around terms of the deal (Chuck doesn't exactly do what he says he will do) but I would think any reasonable judge would understand this process should only take a few weeks not a time period exceeding a year. I have emails that go back as well as documentation and wire transfer docs from the bank however at no time did Chuck ever reply to my emails regarding this project. I have my text history going back to the first week of July however my phone crashed that week so my text history prior to that is gone. The guy would not email me when I would ask him to and he was very difficult to get on the phone by Spring 2017. Excuse after excuse then not returning my phone calls he was a nightmare to deal with. He doesn't even have VM anymore and when he did it was full all the time. I'm sure VM presented the opportunity for people to unload an earful on him. I got one chance to unload on him on the phone back in the Fall when we talked. He was quiet when we spoke, then when I got finished letting him know how upset I was with him for putting me off (screwing me over) he started saying what I wanted to hear again and said he would get it together for me so we could get the unit shipped off.

Here's a human moment...

Before I gave him his last chance in November 2017 on the phone to complete the unit and ship it by the first week in January I basically lost it for a moment saying "GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK, GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK" about seven times in absolute desperation (emotionally). He sat paused and quiet for a moment then started trying to say again what I wanted to hear. Realizing my desperate/vulnerable position in the situation I tried one last exhausting time for him to get me a tranny shipped out by extending the offer to the first week of January SHIPPED! Nope, he still couldn't pull it together. It's now February 2018 and counting......

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
So I have decided to go all out with my audio system and make it show quality. The build will be more about Sound Quality as well as the actual display of the components being used for my viewing pleasure (and those who care to take a look with interest). The amplifiers I will be using are not compact by any means which means there will need to be a dedicated amplifier rack that can also house some other components like speaker crossovers. I am incorporating Scan Speak speakers and plan to retain my Alpine CDA9855 HU and I am adding a Alpine processor with a separate controller. Scan Speak was the actual manufacture for the Alpine F1 Status Speakers back in the early 2000s so it's fitting I decided on this brand. With exception to the Ground Zero 4XS amplifier I am incorporating the system will be primarily Alpine/Scan Speak electronics and speakers. I am also retaining my Alpine subwoofer in the SME Jeep Console prototype however I will be backing the power down from 300 watts RMS to about 180 watts RMS. I am considering adding a 12" subwoofer in the back of the Jeep to join the 10" Alpine sub I have in the center console. This system will be about as hi fi SQ as one can realistically go in an open air Jeep. See photos below to check out some of the components I am incorporating in this diy mobile audio build.

So I have to show these amplifiers off. These two amps will be the center pieces being displayed in an amplifier rack that spins so you can view both sides of the amplifiers through glass. I hope to make the housing out of aluminum in a sort of brushed finish. I am likely going to have to mount these behind the rear seat given options are limited. I may also incorporate a pair of Alpine F1 Status 3 way component crossovers to really dial in the brand specific build. I have been a fan of Alpine for decades and to me the brand is tried and true. Most of the Alpine Electronics I am incorporating in the build are considered 'Old School' car audio these days. Given the components are from the early 2K's they are fitting for a 2003 Jeep.

Alpine F1 Status 4 channel SQ Amplifier. This amplifier was the inspiration for this updated build. Got super lucky and found a brand new one in original packaging which is practically unheard of.

Ground Zero Reference 4 channel SQ Amplifier. This amplifier is very difficult to purchase in the States. German Engineering at it's finest.

Alpine F1 Status 3 way crossovers

Retaining my original Alpine CDA 9855 HU

However I am adding a Alpine Processor and Controller. This will allow me to utilize 8 channels and will take the sound to the next level. The controller portion is going to mount in the center console for easy accessibility.

Moving on to the Speakers I have decided Scan Speak is going to be the speaker delivering the reproduction of sound.

Front Staging will consist of one pair Scan Speak Illuminator 1" tweeters and a pair of 5.5" Scan Speak Revelator mid range speakers. I have some nice tweeter pods that will mount on top of the dash and the mid range speakers I will attempt to mount in Select Increments Dash Pods, if they fit that will make the install easier.

Tweeter Pods for the Scan Speak Illuminators.

And Finally I will be staging the JeePods with a pair of Scan Speak Illuminator 7" woofers w/paper cones & neodymium magnets.

I will be finishing up the locking lid for the center console and wrapping it in padding and black leather to match the seats. The Alpine Processor command controller will be installed inside making it easy to tune from the driver's seat.

I am looking for ideas on the amp rack. I want to incorporate a housing that swivels and fits behind the back seat. The top side of the rack will show the top of the amplifiers and the rack will swivel from the bottom up to expose the bottom of the amplifiers. In addition I want the top side to illuminate and display the amplifiers in style. The Ground Zero amplifier has a smoked glass bottom and illuminates as well to show the impressive PCB. Let me know what you guys think?...

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
A Jeep isn’t what I would personally choose for an audio build, but that being said, I’m super stoked to see this build. This sounds (get it?) awesome! I dig the old school comps.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Sounds like a fun project.

How about the amp rack on the rear door. It already swings our. Or switch to a drop down tailgate and attach to that or viewable when dropped.

Reactions: mac

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
A Jeep isn’t what I would personally choose for an audio build, but that being said, I’m super stoked to see this build. This sounds (get it?) awesome! I dig the old school comps.
Agreed but I am a audiophile and can't help myself. Purchased another BMW vert with only 20K on the odo (06 e46) in August and that SQ build is well underway. It sounds incredible and the plan is to compete with it in the SQ category. Sinfoni Speakers, Audio Development Vipera subwoofer going in and powering the system is two Ground Zero amplifiers off a Helix dsp.2 signal processor which streams via bluetooth the highest audio quality available. Back to Jeep, snapped the photo below when I went down last summer, had to get an idea of the space back there. At this point I am still thinking about the layout which is likely going to have to get custom to make it all fit without taking too much real estate. I am confident it will sound pretty good and the tuned ported W6 I plan to use will hit regardless of the rag top. Thinking to build a rack to house the W6 enclosure and design it to be an easy swap with the ARB freezer/fridge given they are similar in size.

And I decided to update the head unit from the Alpine to this badass Pioneer P99rs. Has a built in Processor and is gorgeous to boot!

Bringing the Bimmer home from Pasadena. Only 20,700 miles on it. Plan is to install Brembo brakes, M4 wheels and either bag it or lower it with HK coils.

If you like old school check out that beautiful Orion 425 HCCA amplifier (red one). That is the amp I ran in my Honda in the mid 90's. Regretted selling it while in College so I was able to locate a very well preserved specimen.

Any luck getting your tranny money returned?
Westchester County Consumer Protection agency was able to get my money back and then fined Chuck four $1,000 fines. Overall I lost about $350 but got a good deal on the tranny I did purchase which is rebuilt out of a 2012 Denali truck. Since my ordeal I have had Corvette enthusiasts calling me with very similar issues I went through with the guy, one guy told me Chuck has had his Corvette for like four years or something stupid ridiculous.

Sounds like a fun project.

How about the amp rack on the rear door. It already swings our. Or switch to a drop down tailgate and attach to that or viewable when dropped.
Maybe... I'll consider. Actually haven't considered that yet.

Progress! Ordering the PPW alternator this week. Todd had to move the passenger side hoop to the outside of the frame. He stated that is how most shops install them but we could not mount the engine without moving the hoop. A car engine is a tight fit but having a guru working on it that cares is helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Almost forgot to show off my new hauler...

Out with the Ford and in with the GMC Denali 3500 HD. While I liked my Ford SuperDuty and overall it was a good truck with some of the problems I did have Ford's customer service departments in Northern NV (only two) are awful (one of which stole money from me and fired the service manager weeks later) so I have decided to give the GM product a chance after driving Ford trucks for 20 years, hoping I like the service department at the GMC/Buick/Cadillac location in Reno.

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
the Holley mid accessory drive systems looks like an interesting option for a V8 swap. Depends on your engine vintage.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
the Holley mid accessory drive systems looks like an interesting option for a V8 swap. Depends on your engine vintage.

At this point I'm letting Todd do his thing. Not his first GM car motor to go in a Jeep and he warned me prior to this build it would be difficult but doable. Part of the issue is the engine has to sit higher than a truck engine causing problems with fitting the radiator in, fitting between the frame rails (with my setup) and the drive shaft wants to hit the tub. Had to lower the flat tummy tucker about an inch and a half which I am not excited about but once everything is in place, running well and in sync I will go back and see what I can do to get at least an inch back. There is a bit of cutting the tub as well but we are trying to do as minimal tub alterations as possible. There may be a frame notch as well, I'll have to take a look when I go down there and we haven't even got to the exhaust yet. As with anything the more difficult the issues the more labor costs start to rack up. Likely need to make the drive down to Petaluma over the next weeks and drop off my 241J for a sale (don't want to but I see money getting super tight at the end of this swap).

If things go well and I don't go broke I should have the rig back in the next few months, possibly April being the month. This is the two year anniversary of dropping the rig off at JSS so I really would like my rig back (Jeep Speed Shop has been great through this long process). I will say that Todd has been about as transparent as one can be given the build. My son is only 17 months now so the Jeep has been gone since my wife told me she was pregnant with Gavin.

The LJ will be his one day.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Wowzaaaa Congrats!!

about dang time you checked in
:wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Congrats on Gavin
Much more important than the Jeep.
Thx man. Now that he is getting bigger he is way more fun!

Lucky guy, what a little sweetie! Wife and I tried to have kids but it didn't work out :frown2:.
Thanks John. He is a pretty good boy. Sorry to hear things didn't work out for you and the Mrs. While I was getting older (39 now) and thinking kids may not be a part of my future Danielle surprised me the night before I drove to Washington to pick up my Formula. He is a blessing and in some ways has saved my life. Totally committed to giving him every opportunity I can in life without overdoing it. I have also stopped drinking completely.

Wowzaaaa Congrats!!

about dang time you checked in
:wink2:
Thanks Mac. Man I have been so busy and with the Jeep sitting in the Bay the last two years and all the headaches I just put Jeeps on the back burner. Boats have taken over my life and up to last summer I collected 13 boats which got totally out of hand. March 2017 I committed to opening a Boat rental business and it has literally consumed me and not in a good way.

Couple more photos...

Runs in his blood

And he with momma driving one of the rentals

·
Registered
545 Posts
I grew up in a marine dealership. It is a different world isn't it?

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
I grew up in a marine dealership. It is a different world isn't it?
Consuming. And sending people out on these things... whew! Scary to say the least. At times my anxiety gets out of control.

·
Administrator
10,915 Posts
When I took an early retirement buy-out from AT&T I was exploring business opportunities. I looked at buying a laundromat from a friend but I would have to be there every night counting quarters and fixing machines. No way. Then I seriously looked at a Postnet franchise (like the UPS store) and the risks far outweighed any benefits. So I just let my investments work for me (and the Mrs. had a job :grin2:)

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Been there, John. Got me it was Uniglope travel agency. Glad I passed. Internet destroyed mom and pop agencies soon after.

Sorry for the hijack.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
Hey Bill, not sweating it man.. hijack away. It's good to catch up with you guys.

I'm going through a career change as well. Been selling boats off and the ones I do keep I may outsource through another business. It's just too consuming for me. At 40 and diminishing skills I am about to start the process to get my CDL. Don't care to deal with the public. It will allow me to make some extra money and it would be nice to pick up benefits again. Business ownership is hard no doubt and the successful businesses my family does have will be going (selling hopefully or bring in a partner) over the next 5 years. We still have nearly 20 employees at my father's practice so it would be nice for a smooth transition mostly for their security. By the time you pay all the bills, federal government, local taxation, employee taxes and on and on it is really difficult to turn a profit. We also have to deal with getting paid from the insurance companies and that is extremely consuming requiring multiple employees just in billing. Life is a big show and honestly the more I accumulate the more I find myself trying to downsize again. Simple does it for me in the second half of my life. Honestly once I went all out with the rig I regretted it, I did it for the stretch and the steering.

Sometimes more is less if that makes any sense.

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Running a small business is tough, and it takes special people. Gutsy people.

We finally retired from corporate life and moved to rural community. We wish we could have lived like this earlier, but followed the job from city to city. Fewer people is more relaxing.

301 - 320 of 398 Posts