Rubicon Owners Forum banner

BATTERY LIGHT FLASHES AND LOSS OF POWERSTEERING WHEN STARTING JEEP

17K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  rlenglish 
#1 ·
2021 jlu Rubicon electrical battery light comes on and loss of power steering. I bought it in February and its going back for the third time for same reason the last time they had it for 3 weeks they seem bewildered at the dealership has anyone seen this problem?

#2 ·
Have you pushed in all of your fuses.
Other than that grounds are a problem. clean and tighten the ones you can see. There are one on each front fender right near the headlights, you have to look between the grill and fender with the hood open.

#6 ·
The stud may be loose on the fender ground. Some of them need to be re-welded.

#13 ·
update gone back in today for the fourth time same problem pwoer steering goes out and battery light they have changed small battery and a wire harness now see what they do now i contacted jeep to start a case fill and see what becomes of that waiting for the company to return call also contacted a local lemon law lawyer to see what they can do fingers crossed all i want is my jeep fixed

#14 ·
So I have dealt with several weird JL problems recently. Electrical problems can be a real challenge for diagnosing especially when it is a intermittent concern so your dealer might not be just blowing you off. The tech could be smart and invested but just as frustrated as you.

I would not blame you if you want a buy back, but that will take some effort also. like a law suit it doesn't happen during a lunch break.

If you just want your Jeep fixed then I do have a suggestion.
All of the control modules on JL's run through some kind of communication system, your electric power steering pump is no different. There have been submitted problems about the communication wires with both spread terminals and short to ground at the pump. There is a wiring repair kit if this is the case, Because there is dealer information on this I would assume it has been checked already.

The other thing that your dealer may not have experience with is the other side of the communication system. Behind the glove box are two star connectors. You can see them if you pull the glove box down. These star connectors, one is white, the other green, are just hubs for communication wiring. They are a flat connector plug that joins all of the modules together. Because they are communication wires it takes very little resistance to have a problem. usually if you can get the vehicle to act up all you have to do is move the connector to remedy the problem. you can get the star connector separate and replacement of it seems to cure a lot of these random problems.

Mention all of this to your dealer. If the vehicle is acting up for you pull the glove box down a wiggle the wiring.

#15 ·
well i tried to suggest to the service manager that when it happened this last time i ran my finger over the fuses and then started the jeep and the power steering worked and the battery light went out but was left with the ck engine light on, but the manager didn't seem that interested in what i was telling him the girl at the counter seemed more interested and concerned then he did that too makes it more frustrating i worked on aircraft for 30 years and realize how hard it is to trouble shoot electrical problems are but he be want to know all what it did though i am not by far a jeep technician or know there systems

#16 ·
When you take your Jeep in they are supposed to make you sign the work order before any work is done. If you have information like that make sure it is in writing before you sign. The tech probably get a electronic dispatch so that would be all the information they see.

Reactions: johncanfield
#19 ·
I know state laws vary but without signing a repair order you at not authorizing any work to be done.
I agree, a new dealer is in order.

#20 ·
ongoing took it back fourth time started a case file with Chrysler after third time it went in so they now replaced the power steering pump that but it didn't clear it so they replaced the battery pack and the mgu generator so got it back yesterday they said it was fixed again till today went to the lake got ready to go and no power steering again
called case worker at Chrysler told her to start process to either get my money back or replace jeep she said she look into it told her i was going to call a lawyer for lemon law, i love the jeep it when it is working but fed up with dealer service at the dealer waiting to hear back from both not holding my breath

#22 ·
Final outcome they replaced the fuse block housing above the small battery and knock-on wood it's been fine now for 2 months (holding my breath) I want to thank the rlenglish for his advice once i started doing that i was able to drive it after, but it took a while (7 months) to convince the dealer that might have been the problem. all seems to be good and the FCA did compensate me pretty good for my troubles just want to say thanks again to all who responded to my dilemma

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.