Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
03 Rubicon and 19’ JLUR
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Rubicon and I am starting my dual battery install. I already have 1 Optima yellow top that I have bee running for 2 years and will be adding another. I have a rugged ridge dual battery tray and a painless dual battery kit. I am getting materials together for the cables and terminals. I was thinking of using an Amazon terminal lug crimper. The hammer style. Is this a good option or do any of you recommend something else. I have done other with copper terminals and just filled them with solder.
I would appreciate any help or feed back on what others may have done.

Thanks Chris

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I've one. Not pretty like a crimper. But gets the job done.

I have a local battery shop make up cables for me. Reasonably priced and professionally done.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
10,131 Posts
I have made a bunch of cables over the years with the hammer style crimper. It works, just not super pretty, but cover it with some heat shrink and only you will notice.

Ron

·
Administrator
11,157 Posts
I have a hydraulic crimper from Harbor freight that works well on large cable.....and not too expensive
Yup, got one of those as well. Their die sizes never seem to match my lugs but close enough for a secure electrical connection. I would avoid just filling the lug cavity with solder, crimping is much better mechanically.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,614 Posts
Yup, got one of those as well. Their die sizes never seem to match my lugs but close enough for a secure electrical connection. I would avoid just filling the lug cavity with solder, crimping is much better mechanically.
Soldering is good if done right. A hot gun or iron is a must.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have an 03 Rubicon and I am starting my dual battery install. I already have 1 Optima yellow top that I have bee running for 2 years and will be adding another. I have a rugged ridge dual battery tray and a painless dual battery kit. I am getting materials together for the cables and terminals. I was thinking of using an Amazon terminal lug crimper. The hammer style. Is this a good option or do any of you recommend something else. I have done other with copper terminals and just filled them with solder.
I would appreciate any help or feed back on what others may have done.

Thanks Chris
Here's an option to look at:

Genuine Dealz

I purchased custom cables several years ago for heavy duty jumper cables with quick connects, etc.
They have lots of parts and accessories as well as custom crimping services.
High quality American made and quick free shipping.

I just added the link from my bookmarks so haven't researched it in a while.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,614 Posts
Here's an option to look at:

Genuine Dealz

I purchased custom cables several years ago for heavy duty jumper cables with quick connects, etc.
They have lots of parts and accessories as well as custom crimping services.
High quality American made and quick free shipping.

I just added the link from my bookmarks so haven't researched it in a while.
Genuie Dealz is a great place. They also have the heatshrink with the glue inside to make water proof connections. They also have the sleeving for building custom wire harnesses. They have good splices also. Get the heat gun out shrinkem down, they have glue in them also. The stuff is almost on par with what I used on aircraft.

·
Registered
03 Rubicon and 19’ JLUR
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Will check them out!

Reactions: johncanfield
1 - 9 of 9 Posts