Rubicon Owners Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
904 Posts
Thanks for the reply. If I pull the trigger on the Banks I'll get everything up front. Turbo, intercooler and exhaust. All three priced out to around $5,500 USD which is still less than a V8 swap however having to use 91+ octane sucks when its almost $3 USD per gallon.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
You won’t be disappointed.
Banks turbo was a great addition to my heep as well.
I didn’t notice any difference in fuel mileage on highway. I get about 12 with 35” rubber, 4.88’s, auto trans running in the 65-70 range. Has a happy spot at 68. However, off road I went from 6 to 10.
Easy install, great results.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I didn’t notice any difference in fuel mileage on highway. I get about 12 with 35” rubber, 4.88’s, auto trans running in the 65-70 range. Has a happy spot at 68. However, off road I went from 6 to 10.
That’s a good point. I’m running stock 4.10’s, if I changed to lower gears I’d be getting better mileage. If I drove it more I would but I have a TDI I run to work so the Jeep only gets a tank burned every few months so mileage doesn’t matter. I certainly have enough power for any wheeling I’ve done. Mine is an automatic too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've owned my TJ for fifteen years and ever since the Sidewinder came out I've had my eye on it. Up until now, EVERY forum post I've ever seen asking about the Banks Turbo has devolved into page after page of irrelevant supercharger talk. Thanks very much for keeping this one on track!

My concern, apart from price, is reliability. I'm no mechanic. As it is, my stock 4.0 can easily be worked on by any garage in the country. If the Sidewinder turns out to be wonky, who will be able to diagnose the problems for me? How easy will it be to get it serviced, find parts and make repairs? So, I guess my real question is: is the Banks Turbo just a thing I can have installed and blissfully not worry about, or Not?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Late to the party here, but I've owned my '04 auto since new, it has 26k miles on it now. I put an intercooled Banks kit on it right after they came out with the '03-'04 kit. The hardware is good stuff, but I got a CEL from the start concerning the MAP sensor (can't remember the code). Banks sent me two other maps for the computer, neither helped, in fact the last one they sent was so rich it wouldn't pass emissions here in Denver. I had to get it dyno tuned by a local shop to pass emissions, but it still gets the CEL at times.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I’m also a yes to the Banks Turbo.
I’ve had virtually no issues with mine and for sure would recommend one.
I understood that they had some “teething” issues with the first release on the 03/04 models but those had been resolved.
Mines an 06 and I bought direct from Banks when they had one of their 20% off specials.

B

·
0 Posts
What rpm at 6800?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '05 LJ auto. Any need to rebuild the transmission before installing the Banks kit? My transmission currently works fine but I am thinking a rebuild might be wise before I rely on it to handle the increased hp and torque.

·
3,430 Posts
I have an '05 LJ auto. Any need to rebuild the transmission before installing the Banks kit? My transmission currently works fine but I am thinking a rebuild might be wise before I rely on it to handle the increased hp and torque.
No reason to fix something that's not broke

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Administrator
10,774 Posts
Welcome! ^^ What Don said ^^

My engine is boosted (supercharger) - doubled the rear wheel HP and the 42RLE auto tranny is just fine. I would change the transmission filter and fluid of course, you have to drop the pan but it's not that much work (unless you are laying on your back.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
From my experience, adding HP / Torque via turbo or supercharger require both cooling and exhaust upgrades too.

I added a Kenne Bell supercharger to our 2003 Rubicon 12 years / 12,000 miles ago and its worked great... probably because I also upgraded the cooling system:

•*AEV Heat Reduction Hood
•*Mopar 7 blade fan
•*Flow Kooler high flow water pump
•*Turbo City high flow thermostat housing

... and the exhaust:

•*Banks TorqueTube exhaust header
•*Borla catback exhaust & muffler (Banks Monster Exhaust preferable now)

This works rock crawling AND on the highway. Others who've installed turbos or superchargers haven't been so fortunate...

41 - 58 of 58 Posts