Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody venture out and do the Banks header/stinger system yet. Your thoughts on any performance gains would be appreciated...

Hank

·
Registered
454 Posts
Here are my thoughts on so called "performance" upgrades. First of all, I'm sure that nearly every performance part out there with give you an extra pony here or there so I don't "diss" their effectiveness. However, the 4.0L I-6 engine is designed for torque low end torque. Meaning that the air flow through the exhaust and throttle body is constricted for a reason. Every bolt on piece of equipment is going to increase your horsepower because it will raise the torque output of the motor at higher RPMs and at the same time lower the torque at the bottome end. HP is a calculated number so the higher the rpm of max torque, the higher the HP. If your Jeep is a street machine and you like to rev the **** out of it and you want to spend tons of money on gas, headers and intakes , etc are your best bet. If you want more power off road, get a stroker kit or put in a v-8. All that being said, if you have 37" tires and you want a little more power going up hills at highway speeds, then the headers will probably be the thing to do.

To sort of answer your original question, I have always heard that Banks makes some good stuff. They do put a lot of time and effort into research and testing. I have also heard they have a good warantee. I doubt you could go wrong with their header. I would imagine that there are cat-back systems that are cheaper and just as good though. Your local muffler shop may even be able to do it. Make sure you get mandrel bent tube instead of the in-shop bent tubing otherwise you may as well drop a 1/2" in pipe size.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was checking the Banks header and stinger exhaust out the other day and noted that although they show it being a good fitment for 4.0 L Wranglers through model year 03 it didn't appear to have any 02 fittings like the factory header w/ mini cats? So being curious, I called Banks and spoke to one of the technical guys there.

I cannot remember his name of the top of my head, but he was a real nice guy, and when I told him my 04 Rubicon had an exhaust manifold with two mini cats and 02 sensors, he clarified that their header did not have the 02 bungs, and that they had not had one of the later model Jeeps with cats in to take a good close look yet. Bummer.... I told him I thought it was actually a change in MY 03, but that they might want to beg, borrow, or steal a Rubicon to get a closer look. Clearly their products look great, and hopefully they will make some engineering changes to make the product work with the Rubicon.

Btw- I did notice that the pictures I have seen of the Borla header does seem to include the 02 bungs, so perhaps the Borla can be retrofitted to the newer vehicles with no problems. I really love my new Rubicon, but in comparison to my old square headlight 93 Wrangler, it really feels choked-off. I suppose it could be a power to weight issue with the Rubicon being heavier, but the power plant just doesn't feel as crisp or responsive, and the 4:11 gears should make up for some of the acceleration. I feel like the twin cat set-up is a likely culprit, but would like to know if anyone has actually been able to install an aftermarket header, and better yet maybe have some dyno info as to the results?

Having recently owned an Evolution VIII Rally car and still owning a GMC Syclone truck, I know that the Rubicon is never going to be, and never should be considered a fast sporty ride. That would actually be downright dangerous I think, and would also negatively impact the vehicles intended use. That said, the Rubicon could still use an infusion of hp/tq that interestingly used to be there in my 93. Maybe its just selective memory, but I don't thinks so.

N10S
:)
Hankenstein said:
Anybody venture out and do the Banks header/stinger system yet. Your thoughts on any performance gains would be appreciated...

Hank

·
Registered
750 Posts
N10S said:
Having recently owned an Evolution VIII Rally car and still owning a GMC Syclone truck, I know that the Rubicon is never going to be, and never should be considered a fast sporty ride.

N10S
Not to hi jack the thread, but how do you like the Syclone? Looks like a pretty rare truck, but it sounds sweet (turbo'd V6, AWD, etc). Too bad they only made 3000 of 'em in '91. Still pretty pricey on the used market.

I've been considering the Banks exhaust myself for my Rubicon. I live in Central California and I could drive my '03 down for Banks to look at it. Maybe I should give them a call... :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HoJoPo said:
N10S said:
Having recently owned an Evolution VIII Rally car and still owning a GMC Syclone truck, I know that the Rubicon is never going to be, and never should be considered a fast sporty ride.

N10S
Not to hi jack the thread, but how do you like the Syclone? Looks like a pretty rare truck, but it sounds sweet (turbo'd V6, AWD, etc). Too bad they only made 3000 of 'em in '91. Still pretty pricey on the used market.
Its a love/hate thing with the Sy. Its a damn quick truck, but also very finnicky and requires lots of fiddling with. I have been through one engine, and since I can never recuperate my money, the Syclone (aka the money pit) has become a weapon for my wife to use against me periodically! :wink:

[quote:2crdtdz0]I've been considering the Banks exhaust myself for my Rubicon. I live in Central California and I could drive my '03 down for Banks to look at it. Maybe I should give them a call... :)
[/quote:2crdtdz0]

I bet they would be interested in talking with you. I know that some exhaust companies will give you a great deal or even a freebie sometimes if you help with R&D. I wish I could remember the guys name off the top of my head. I like what I see with the Banks exhaust components, and who knows you may be the key to them being able to check the fitment on the newer jeeps?

N10S :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hank...are you going to be doing to be outfitting your Jeep with this combo? If you do, let me know, I'd love to take a look at it. I'm planning on doing the Banks exhaust sometime in January. I'll probably put off the headers until mine cracks and needs a new one.

Craig

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
triver525 said:
If you want more power off road, get a stroker kit or put in a v-8. All that being said, if you have 37" tires and you want a little more power going up hills at highway speeds, then the headers will probably be the thing to do.
I know of some companies out there that make Stroker kits.......you got any experience with Strokers?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Not really. I used to play around with the old 258s out of AMCs. I have a 1975 Gremlin X which I always wanted to see how much power I could get out of it. I used to have a couple of articles on AMC engines making 300 HP but that really wouldn't be relevent to our modern(ish) engines.

My opinion however is that a stroker kit would be the most reliable way of making horsepower and torque. Superchargers will definitely shorten the life of your engine but a stoker kit won't really increase the compression too much and won't make the engine run hotter so, in theory, it should las nearly as long as stock.

·
Registered
340 Posts
triver525 said:
Not really. I used to play around with the old 258s out of AMCs. I have a 1975 Gremlin X which I always wanted to see how much power I could get out of it. I used to have a couple of articles on AMC engines making 300 HP but that really wouldn't be relevent to our modern(ish) engines.

My opinion however is that a stroker kit would be the most reliable way of making horsepower and torque. Superchargers will definitely shorten the life of your engine but a stoker kit won't really increase the compression too much and won't make the engine run hotter so, in theory, it should las nearly as long as stock.
My opinion however is that a stroker kit would be the most reliable way of making horsepower and torque.
Think Mopar

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
banks exhaust "CAT BACK"

After folding my exhaust under by the tip and cracking it wide open and shoved the pipe that goes over the axle againt the heat shield smashing the heat shield like a pop can. It shut the motor down and would'nt start. So after bending the tail pipe back out so it would start i had to do something . I installed the cat back from banks. I did have to do some modifications to it. Mainly just tweaking the rear hanger so it did'nt hit my shock with my lift. Second was I cut some of the tail pipe off because it stuck out to far. When I put the tip on I turned it to the side because it sits next to gas tank. It sound good but I was doing so many other mods to engine like FIPK K&N, chip, TBS, JET 180 degree themostat I really could'nt see a big gain in just the cat back.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Theep said:
Hank...are you going to be doing to be outfitting your Jeep with this combo? If you do, let me know, I'd love to take a look at it. I'm planning on doing the Banks exhaust sometime in January. I'll probably put off the headers until mine cracks and needs a new one.

Craig
Haven't been around much lately, sorry for the late response. Thinking that I'll do as you and wait until the exhaust manifold cracks and/or the Rubi is paid off; whichever comes first...

Hank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts