Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a heavy duty utility trailer in May 2017. When towing it empty with my dually, I could feel it vibrating at highway speeds.

I took the tires off and had them balanced at Discount tire.

Here's a video showing that they are out of round.
Utility trailer manufacturers seem to always buy the cheapest, obscure tires they can find.

·
3,369 Posts
I just got a new trailer in September and got some radial tires for it. I ended up dumping 3 ounces of dyna beads in each tire for good measure. Figured since I had such good luck through so many years with them in my jeep it sure couldn't hurt to put some in the trailer tires also.

It did not take me very long pulling a trailer to learn to despise bias ply trailer tires. They certainly do not seem to hold up. And you are right...WHERE these manufacturers find these tires and the companies that create them is beyond me. Some of them even give the phrase "cheap Chinese knock off" a bad name.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Trailer builders seem to be obligated to use trailer specific tires. Trouble is 100% are made in China and most are of poor quality. That includes the major manufacturers like Goodyear and ALL other american companies. The solution to bad and cheap trailer tires is to use what we have on our cars and trucks. For a HD trailer like a 10k+ one, then use just about any LT tire that has the load rating you want/need. Just remember that tires that are not designed for trailers need to be down-rated. According to the engineer I talked to at Goodyear it was recommended that I down-rate non trailer tire 10-15% of the tires specified load rating for trailer use. The technical reason for down-rating is because of the sway of all trailers imposing higher sidewall loads than a car/truck will see.
To hold down cost on my last 10K trailer I replaced the crappy bias ply tires it came with by purchasing commercial grade radial LT E rated tires. They were significantly less costly than what I normally use for my F350. Still pretty expensive to satisfy my safety concerns. I worry a lot on my new HD trailer that came with those scary China tires. At least they have proper E rated load rating. The good things I can report is they balanced well with no weights and have a 75mph max speed.
PaulW

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a tire failure in July of 2017. I decided to replace all the tires with Goodyear Endurance tires.

When doing it, I did a weight comparison between the Endurance tire and the Dynatrail tires from Les Schwab which i removed from the trailer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Totally agree OP!! Nothing worse than a trailer hopping up and down when empty or a vibration when loaded. Years ago, I had tire shops look at me like I was crazy for wanting it done to a "trailer tire". My OCD kicked in early!

I really hope that GY has stepped up their ST game. The previous version Marathon was a very bad tire. I experienced tread separation found at home and started researching to find it was very common with Marathons, of course, many of those reports were tires that shredded on the road.
I switched to using Maxxis ST's and have been very happy with them- got 9 of them in the yard that I've been using for about 7 years. I feel it's a case of getting what you pay for. I'm about to have to replace a couple as they're worn out.

·
3,389 Posts
I really hope that GY has stepped up their ST game.

We put GY Endurance tires on our trailer in 2018....2+ years later and many thousand miles they are holding up great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts