Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a report out there all ready, but if you know me, you knew I was going to write my own.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 2006 Rubicon and decided I needed to take it out stock just to see how it performed. The guys from the club (IndyORV) were hosting another outing at the Badlands with our Jeepforum brothers on Sept. 11, so I figured that be the perfect time to test out the stocker. I knew it was going to be a whole new ball game, after driving the YJ.

My day started at 4am, I was on the road by 5am. This time the road was a little easier traveled. The ride was smoother. There was no top flapping in the wind. I was able to set the cruise and listen to CDs the entire way.

I arrived at the park at 0830 (all times are central) signed in and met up with the rest of the jeepers. There were two other stockers and I think nine others built to various levels.

I didn't disconnect the sway bar, but I did air down to 20 psi.

My new Rubicon in the upper lot.

It was decided that we'd all hit Orange trail together, at least until the halfway point, then we'd split up...meaning the three stockers would go play with themselves...wait what?

The convoy to Orange.

Getting ready to start Orange.

One of the harder ways out of orange.

One of the "easier" ways out of orange.

After the halfway point we headed down the access road towards the parking lot, but most of the guys opted to get back on orange and hit the rock gardens.

We three stockers headed for the trails around the quarry, to do what I know as Kevin's trail.

Time to hit some mud.

I got high centered once and needed a tug....on a trail I usually take for granted in the YJ.

More skinny solves anything.

Using the lockers required much less skinny.

After leaving Kevin's trail we went back to the quarry and met up with everyone else. It was time to play for a bit.

Some of the ladies were given a chance to drive.

The ladies were fearless.

Sometimes more skinny breaks things.

The step up.

Boulder land.

Rubi poser shot.

Climbing stocker hill.

After the quarry we decided to hit the creek. One of the "big boys" came with, due to a 4lo problem.

Our depth finder.

Poser trail shot.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

The "shovels" were getting some use due to ruts, and required more skinny to make the climb.

Four doors can wheel too.

Climbing throttle hill.

Throttle hill caught me off guard, the old MTR's were nearly as good as my TrXus MT's, which I'm sure was a combo of tread and psi. I had to back down and try it again, as I approached it way to slow the first time. Live and learn.

We dropped back into the creek.

We followed the creek to just before the tubes and got out, turning to the quarry, where we took a break.

Posing by the pond.

We made headed back to the quarry, via the Rim Trail. I ended up getting stuck...in a hole I've driven through time after time in the YJ. But I've also pulled a dozen or so jeeps out of that hole, this time it got me.

Once back in the quarry we headed down by the pond to what I've heard called axle breaker and the big step up. I didn't do anything but watch and take pictures. Here are some shots of the built rigs doing their things....

Sometimes stuff happens.

Just sitting by the pond.

Next up was "A rock and a hard place" over by Purgatory. It was interesting watching the different lines, and seeing how the lines could change from one jeep to the next.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After "A rock and hard place" some went back to playing around the quarry.

Getting up the wall is a must for all first timers.

Of course what goes up must come down.

Fixing damage from "A rock and hard place", and axle shaft bit the dust.

After the above repair was made we decided it was time to call it a day. I had a blast, can't wait to build the Rubicon.

I have to say after driving a stick offroad I really liked the auto.

The weather was pretty good all day, it rained a bit on the way down, but was dry all day at the park. The sun only came out for an hour or so, but we liked the overcast better.

I headed back home at about 1730 hours, which meant I had to drive into the sun for about an hour and a half.....

This really got annoying.

The Rubicon came away undamaged....which is a plus since I have yet to make a payment on it. :D

Here are all of my pics: http://www.leiningerphotos.com/Only...er-11-IndyORV/13745140_cQPHL#1005268236_X9Z3U

If you're ever looking for a good time on the trails, you can't go wrong with IndyORV.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pics of me wheeling, thanks to Red_Smoke and his passenger.

Caught by the shovel.

Hitting the trails.

Didn't get high centered here....thankfully.

Trying to help a brother out.

Stopped, not stuck.

Ready!

Set!

Stuck!

Walk of shame.

Getting a tug from Smoke.

Next time the Rubicon hits the trail it won't need no stinking tug. :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
nice pics.
Ya should have stay'ed alittle longer and watched the TREC race, it was pretty good.

Oh yeah, NICE color on the rig. :D

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
indyrubi said:
nice pics.
Ya should have stay'ed alittle longer and watched the TREC race, it was pretty good.

Oh yeah, NICE color on the rig. :D
I thought about it, but with a 3 1/2 hours drive home, I decided not to stay.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mushroomax said:
Nice pics, looks like a lot of fun. Good to see other people on the board getting out and actually using there rigs.

I really like this front bumper, who made it?
I'll ask him.....that's a Cummins powered TJ too.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was bored and played around with some HDR effects...I went for the less realistic look.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These work better when the subject is back lit...here's a before and after:

With a grunge feel....

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

1 - 12 of 12 Posts