Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[0]=AZX6UBulwEB1_MT1h8pkE3tJR631pwm_19pCvL_8JRZF6Dro43OhAUTIQzOfTNCzUECwplflrZRzMCQH5mnR6lxPtVREWFPg88eBG8dB2CbqQyBGrYTIS7bcAOVjjzHwV7z_AZsbvcz-5dTkd2KtgoA0AYE4DgNfKmBJleE5ybAIDyUQBLpEXo9Xw6Om65mNdjRrNgp2NcalztFJ2dJ_Q0ap&__tn=R]-R

Jeep traveled 1200 feet down the side of the mountain, total altitude loss of 900 feet. Female passenger sustained major injuries and was scheduled for surgery. Reports that the dog/dogs were found seem to have been premature judging from more recent posts on FaceBook. Driver was also injured, but not as seriously as passenger. It only takes a second for a great day in the mountains to turn to total disaster. Praying for their recovery.

·
1,600 Posts
I think I'm going to start carrying a wheel chock. Uggggghh! Life changing for a lot of people. Prayers.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Emergency brakes on hills are not to be trusted. Sounds like the vehicle was not in gear, or it was in gear and the emergency brake was not applied. We will never know.
It also said the female passenger was ejected? No restraints, might have been a good thing judging from the final pic of the Jeep.
It also says one dog has not been found, the young lab.

·
3,522 Posts
Thats terrible, I feel sorry for those who were injured. Although the driver states it was out of gear, without paying attention, that is something easy to forget. I hope they fully recover.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Thats terrible, I feel sorry for those who were injured. Although the driver states it was out of gear, without paying attention, that is something easy to forget. I hope they fully recover.
I must have missed the out of gear part.

·
Administrator
10,993 Posts
We have good wheeling friends that work in a campground in Montrose every summer, they put that story up on Facebook yesterday. The sheriff reported the kid (~23 years old) "pulled the emergency brake and shut off the engine" to help spot somebody behind him. Apparently the passenger was not wearing her seat belt because she "was thrown out" . The kid tried to jump in the Jeep when it started rolling but that wasn't successful unfortunately. The girl is in very serious condition but they reported the dog was okay. So not sure if the pup ran away or what.

We've run Black Bear several times, I can say for a fact that an emergency brake with the tranny in neutral will not stop the Jeep from rolling. I'm guessing the kid, and this is just speculation on my part, pulled the brake and put the tranny in neutral and quickly jumped out to help spot. Another guess is he's a fairly inexperienced wheeler but they are reported to be from Durango (about an hour or two south.)

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard to tell from the pictures if it was a 4 dr or a 2 dr. Or if it was a JL or JK. Do the JL's have a lever operated parking brake or the newer style electrically engaged parking brake? Pure speculation, but if the Jeep was in gear and with 2 young dogs in it, when the driver got out one of the dogs could have "bumped" the gear shift lever into neutral. We may never know the answers as to how this occurred. I tell newcomers to the San Juans that I lead on trails that there is very little in the way of "flat" ground in the area. When parking, engage parking brake, place trans in park or 1rst gear and shut off engine. Low range is a must to provide more resistance to unwanted movement when parked.

·
3,522 Posts
Looks like a JK to me (the door handles look like a JK). Hard to tell 2 or 4-door. Also, the front fender lacks the vent that a JL has.

My gladiator has a hand parking brake - feels like it is cable actuated.

I'd add, when parking on a hill, turn the steering towards the up-hill direction to help in the occasion of a parking brake failure.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have alway wanted to run Back Bear based on the thrilling and maybe scary reports over the years on JEO. Remember Stinger and Johns adventure.

The day our club scheduled this run a flash flood warning was sounded. Our group leader made the decision not do Black Bear that day.

Now my current issue...

We have a run out west along the highway 395 corridor in the eastern Sierra that might be considered a mini black Bear, Patterson Peak in the Sweet Water Range.

Local guys say no big deal but there is a couple miles of narrow shelf road switchbacks with very limited pull over and unlike Black Bear two way traffic. If one was to encountering another vehicle there is no-way to move over, someone must back up or back down.

That happened to my wife and while we were pre-running the trail for a Jeep run we are leading in 2021.

Coming around a steep uphill turn onto an other shelf my wife said "Jeeps ahead!" I looked into the rear view mirror and just saw sky and my wife and I don't communicate well when she needs to be a spotter. I was on the uphill leg but I know I needed to get over as the Jeeps coming down had no where to pull over.

Luckily I was at the only spot with a little room. It was a scary spot as I needed to have my down hill tires off the edge and the passing Jeeps need to go crazy off camper to get around but we got it done and the ladies on the passenger side all said thank you and meant it.

Now do I cut this out on the Eastern Sierra run? Don't want to as it is epic but I plan on holding the group at the bottom and going ahead and calling by radio the all clear.

At the bottom of Patterson Peak

Nearing the top 11,400'

·
3,522 Posts
Beautiful pics. I agree with DAA - if possible have folks at the other end with radios to manage traffic.

·
Administrator
10,993 Posts
The trails in the San Juan mountains (Silverton, etc.) have a mix of side by sides, dirt bikes, 4x4 vehicles, tour trucks (three or four rows of open seating) and rental Jeeps. Fortunately rental Jeeps aren't allowed on the harder trails (Black Bear, Engineer, Poughkeepsie.) The dirt bikes seemingly appear out of nowhere to overtake us and the tailgunner knows to alert the group of passing traffic. The first time drivers in rentals are unpredictable, typically they will hug the mountain side of a shelf road regardless of which side of the trail they should use. They also go about half the speed we usually run.

Black Bear had a tricky spot where the trail was very narrow and your outside wheels were right at the edge but San Juan County roads improved that spot quite a bit several years ago but every winter brings new challenges for the roads people when the snow melts. BB is more of a head game than a dangerous and high skill level trail. Some of the beginning switchbacks require a three point turn but no real drama there. However if you don't pay attention bad things can happen (just like on a highway.)

·
3,522 Posts
Some video

1 - 16 of 16 Posts