Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my front axle seals were fixed today. I went to Wetmore Jeep in NewMilford CT. What a great experience, they did a perfect job, took appx 5 hours. I just tested everything, 4 hi & lo, and front & rear axle locks. Everything works great. Will keep an eye out on the new seals. I think this was posted already but if you missed it the parts required for repair were two 5104852-aa seals, two 5083669-aa slinger, syn lube 1081033

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Why were they changed? I must have missed that post.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Ignore my last post....................I am severly sleep deprived this week with all this SARS stuff in Ontario..................." I love my job, I love my Job........."

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had both my front axle seals replaced too.

Everything works as it did before, so I'm glad the dealer put her back together right.

Got a couple of free jeep t-shirts, jeep baseball cap, and a Grand Cherokee while they had the Rubi for having to come back a second time after they ordered the wrong axle seals the first time around. :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
My seals are on National backorder, so I expect them in about 4 weeks. At least my DS knuckle won't rust. :D Good to hear that you got your's fixed. The mechanics I have by me are really good, even if their test drive was over the curb, through the drainage ditch, over the rocks (little ones) and out the other side.

Ron

·
Registered
130 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
My seals are on National backorder, so I expect them in about 4 weeks. At least my DS knuckle won't rust. :D Good to hear that you got your's fixed. The mechanics I have by me are really good, even if their test drive was over the curb, through the drainage ditch, over the rocks (little ones) and out the other side.

Ron
I noticed that my Rubi always comes back with several miles and less fuel as part of their "on road" testing as the service manager calls it...

I get this image of the tech's doing a "Ferris Buehler's Day Off" jumping the Rubi to Star Wars music playing... :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Fat Tony said:

Everything works as it did before, so I'm glad the dealer put her back together right.

Got a couple of free jeep t-shirts, jeep baseball cap, and a Grand Cherokee while they had the Rubi for having to come back a second time after they ordered the wrong axle seals the first time around. :lol:
Now that's a good dealership. They can keep the t-shirts and ball caps. What are you going to do with the Grand Cherokee they gave you? :D

Jerry

·
Registered
130 Posts
JerryC said:
Fat Tony said:

Now that's a good dealership. They can keep the t-shirts and ball caps. What are you going to do with the Grand Cherokee they gave you? :D

Jerry

:lol: I wish they would have let me have the GC--that Infinity stereo rocked--but they kind of implied that I needed to return it...

·
Registered
130 Posts
MudvaynJeepTJ said:
I dont understand all the seal fixing going on, is something wrong with them.
Yep, but only if they leak...otherwise happy trails!

G

·
0 Posts
WooHoo my seals are in early... It gets fixed tomorrow, now I won't have spots on my drive anymore. Side note is I get my diff cover resealed in the process. I don't think the seal loss is any big issue. I wonder how many others are not getting reported on the other models.

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I guess that I now get to join the "New Seal" club too....

I really don't understand why there are so many of these happening. Dana must have got a bad batch of seal. :(

G

·
0 Posts
Got a call from the dealership, my seal was loose in it's housing. It was still sealed around the axle, but the leak was between the seal and it's housing. I'll see if I can get a pic later. So it looks like DANA might have gotten a bad batch.

Ron

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
with all that seem to have gone bad....
i now have a habit of looking every day.....
this is not funnnny its kinda obsessive owning a new jeep looking for leaks..
:roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Quick tip for you mac, leave it dirty and just look for the wet spot, or in my case show your friends your new toys, and without missing a beat mention your new rust prevention system located on your steering knuckle.

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
4x4mac said:
with all that seem to have gone bad....
i now have a habit of looking every day.....
this is not funnnny its kinda obsessive owning a new jeep looking for leaks..
:roll:
Now the funny thing is that I just looked at mine again and it is DRY!!!

Grrrrrrr... It is like going to the doctor.... Well you see it hurt real bad yesterday. :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Axel seals leaking....hmm....will I know b/c spots on my driveway or will it have to be somthing I look for...?
Pete

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
petesjeeprubi said:
Axel seals leaking....hmm....will I know b/c spots on my driveway or will it have to be somthing I look for...?
Pete
Look at the end of the axle tubes.. It will be wet looking in that area.

G

·
0 Posts
Got mine back this afternoon. The mechanic's loved it. Here's the story on that one. Take one Mechanic "Front Seals no problem, that's an easy job." Add on Rubicon with leaking front seals. Have mechanic remove front diff cover and see locker for first time. Stir and you can see the humor from the other mechanics as he calmly puts the cover down and scratches his head. They all enjoyed the chance to work on it, good learning for all and a good laugh. "Front seals No problem, yea right!"

I also had my cam sensor adjusted. Now I had said that I had a little hesistation, the problem was it was so far off the mechanics were amazed that it ran. If I remember right it was in excess of 18degrees off. Oh well, now I can barely hear it running and all the vibs are gone. Going to take a little getting used to.

Ron

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ron, did that get rid of the "whirring sound" you had? Because mine is doing it now too. Low speed, high pitched, squeal. But no leaks that I can see from the axles. :?
BTW, I got my transfer case shift relocator installed. I see why you love yours.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts