Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

I got under the Rubi the other day to try and locate the rear axle vent tube, but could not find the end to it as it passes over the gas tank. Can anyone tell me where this thing ends up, and if it's waterproof where it's at. Also, water proofing the t-case/tranny input would be helpful.

Thanks,
Roy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It runs up into the driver side rear wheel well. It is located right behind the gas filler cap along with the suction for the compressors.

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
For water proofing the Tranny there is an existing vent on the top of the tranny. I would suggest getting a hose that runs up the fire wall for this. It is currently just a little nipple looking vent that you can get the dealership to put on a proper hose like on the axles....

·
Registered
326 Posts
LILRDJP said:
For water proofing the Tranny there is an existing vent on the top of the tranny. I would suggest getting a hose that runs up the fire wall for this. It is currently just a little nipple looking vent that you can get the dealership to put on a proper hose like on the axles....
I've never actually looked on mine, but I thought the tranny had a vent tube already. Jeep's cut-away Rubicon has one.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A mechanic I trust at Jeep warned me about the breather on top of the 3550 not being vented high like the others. Now I need to go look. One more thing to do tonight, at least 2 of them are Jeep related.

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If the Rubicon comes with at vent tube up the fire wall already that is cool.....My 2K did not have one and I have not looked at mine yet.. I will have to check it out when I am doing my skid this weekend..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just went and crawled under the Jeep, no vent tube, just the vent right on top of the Tranny. I guess you can't have it all.

Ron

·
Registered
135 Posts
What about T-case venting?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
As far as I know there is nothing for that... I will ask some veterns and see what they have to say.. I am pretty sure that is does not have one...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yes t-case usually has a vent, and I am pretty darn sure the rubi has one as well. And its not all that high IMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have moved all my vent lines ... this is what I did

My personal experience has taught me to run the vents as high as possible and as close to the middle of vehicle as possible why because when you enter or exit a deep hole it is usually the front end or rear that goes in deepest

rear dif and compressor vent..
was: located beind driver side rear fender laying on top of the rubber splash guard bad place...exiting a steep creek bank guranteed water.
is: both have been relocatted up in the cab under the console by the rear cup holders out of sight. the diff line has a fuel filter on it then the vent cap

trans fer case and tranny (auto)
was: back of the fire wall even with the bottom of tube...to low
is: since both have same fluid I have T them at atleast as high as they were before then run a single line up with a loop at the top for stretch and a fuel filter with a vent cap ..the are tied on to the rad support at the fire wall at its hiest point

front diff
was: beside the rad at the front again nose first in to a creek from a steep bank...glug glug
is: it is now beside the Tcase and tranny vent...fuel filter and then vent cap

why the fuel filter .... it only lets air pass through quickly .....water and mud is slowed or stoped also on roll over the same rule applies the diff fluid or atf will have a tough time passing through filter slowing the loss of fluid..also noted that the diff hose at the dif is not clamped on is is extremly easy to remove..so a branch in a mud hole could do the same and you would not know until it is to late..I have clamped mine and left slack at the top

by the way don't vent auto in the cab really smells the cab up

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
This is really good info. I think we should move this to the Technical Write Ups section. Can you provide pics to help explain?

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I second Jerry. I'd love some pics so I can see how to do this. I have zero experience with vent tubes so seeing where they are and where to move them to would be a big help.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
JerryC said:
This is really good info. I think we should move this to the Technical Write Ups section. Can you provide pics to help explain?

Jerry
thanks Jerry.... now i dont have to ask.
:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay,

Why did you run the 2 rear tubes to the interior? I was going to run mine to the top of the firewall as the others. I had the jeep guys relocate my rear axle tube line for my access, but didn't consider the compressor tube.
How do you get to that one?

Thanks,
Roy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts