Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I will be getting home from Iraq in about 2 weeks and want to put in outer axle tube seals, but am wondering while I have the axle out if I should change the U-Joints and the Axle bearing assembly too. I am wondering what the part number is for a Spicer U-Joint for the axle and what bearing assembly is good. I was also wondering does the axle just slide out and then right back in because I’m afraid I may mess up the inner axle seals. It is a Dana 30 by the way…..

Alex

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need spicer part numbers for upper and lower ball joints too please.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Sorry dude...don't have the answer for you.
Just wanted to thank you for your service. I'm retired AF, 3 years ago. Did Moody '98-'00 and Iraq '06.
Get back and dump some tax free/hostile fire pay into your Jeep!

What's your AFSC? Just curious... PM...

·
Registered
142 Posts
AF,
In my opinion if the bearings have no play in them I would leave them be. Jack the front up grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to wiggle it. There should be no play in it, if that is the case I would leave it be. If there is play check to see when you wiggle the tire that it isn't possibly the ball joints. With the u joints if there is not slop and the shafts are tight again I would leave it but that is personal perference. To me depends of the life it has lead up to this point.
Yes the axle will just slide out and them back in, just be careful on the way out and in slow and level as possible to get it back in place.
My moog upper ball joint #'s are K3143T. Use the search function here and I am sure the part nuumbers are listed somewhere.
Hope this helps some.
And thank you for your service. We really apprieciate what you do.
Andy

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Thanks for your service and welcome home (soon!).

The front axle u-joints are Spicer 5-760x

The unit bearing doesn't need to be replaced if it doesn't have play or isn't howling! But AutoZone has Timken brand bearings that I've had good luck with, the only thing I go there for as most of their stuff is junk. Also RockAuto.com has good prices and generally pretty good quality. I bought Moog ball joints from there, that seems to be about the best brand going.

Get yourself a U-Joint tool (c-press type works fine - $40 at Harbor Freight) and if you plan to do the ball joints, the additional ball joint sleeve kit ($60 from HF).

Good luck!

CR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts