Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you currently own a 03 Rubicon automatic and you use it off road LOTS!! Then please contact me about a possible transmission test if you live and work in the Edmonton area, preferably the west end. e-mail [email protected]

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was thinking about what someone had posted about adding extra oil to there automatic transmission. I grabbed the service manual and started reading in the 42RLE section.
EFFECTS OF INCORRECT FLUID LEVEL
A low fluid level allows the pump to take in air along with the fluid. Air in the fluid will cause fluid pressures to be low and develop slower than normal. If the transmission IS OVERFILLED, the gears churn the fluid into foam. This aerates the fluid and causing the same conditions occuring with a low level. In either case, air bubbles cause fluid overheating, oxidation and varnish buildup which interferes with valve and clutch operation. Foaming also causes fluid expansion which can result in fluid overflow from the transmisson vent or fill tube. Fluid overflow can easily be mistaken for a leak if inspection is not careful.
-taken from 2003 Jeep Wrangler service manual, page 21-141

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have one and offroad alot, but I live near Detroit. I've never had an issue with my tranny and I have 8500 miles on it now. Overfilling anything has always worried/scared me since it causes undo stress on the pumps. I had heard you could get a different tranny pan that held more fluid if you really worried about loss of pressure at steep grades.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
740 Posts
Okay Ramtuff,

If no one has done the auto tranny pan swap...I'll be the first. Just crawled under the jeep today to inspect damage....and holy cow! Mashed the tranny pan up nicely (no leaks though!). Placed some really nice deep scratches into the RE skid plate, beat the heck out of the front and rear diffs.

My plans are to 1) replace auto tranny pan and 2) get a skid row plate.

Could you e-mail me the part numbers again?

Thanks,
Ned

·
Registered
628 Posts
That hurt! I haven't run into any issues with the tranny thus far and I offraod all the time. Is this tranny test something I could request from the dealer or is it something you are doing on the side?

Adam

G

·
0 Posts
Ned, Take a look at medic's skid. It doesn't need modification for the Long Arms. Looks like you got yourself a little boo-boo there. :lol:

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
2003 auto

My auto trans is headed to the shop for repair. Only 11,000 miles problems are wont move in the mornings when its put in gear and overdrive shakes the jeep when it unlocks slowing down.
Now we find out how good the service dept is. :cry:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Re: 2003 auto

jmj3home said:
My auto trans is headed to the shop for repair. Only 11,000 miles problems are wont move in the mornings when its put in gear and overdrive shakes the jeep when it unlocks slowing down.
Now we find out how good the service dept is. :cry:
You might wanna hit your dealer first. I had a similar prob and if I remember right, it was low on ATF. They filled it and reshot the software and all was good. I'm almost certain this is your prob.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Re: 2003 auto

Ned said:
I had a similar prob and if I remember right, it was low on ATF. They filled it and reshot the software and all was good. I'm almost certain this is your prob.
And if it isn't, it will be the old front pump replacement trick. Unfortunately a number of 42RLE tranny's have needed pumps replaced.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah, there is a tsb for a front pump for delayed engagement on cold soak start ups. The front pump was redesigned and I guess it didn't work too well.

On another note, I have changed two of the pans to the newer design and it has fixed both of them....doing the third today..
I have been in contact with the cag rep with dcc and so far they are not admitting a problem with the pan, but we havent had any problems with warranty coverage on the later model pan install on older rubi's :lol:

If your are near St. Peters Mo and can't get your dealer to help you with these items, drop me an email, my dealer can and will help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts