Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the pans in this morning, all I can say is WOW!! I've yet to see this transmisson in a Rubicon yet but is there like no room under the transmisson? One corner of the pan is only 1" deep, the opposite corner is 3" deep. The filter is of a simmilar design, 1/2" thick on one corner then 1 1/2" thick on the opposite corner. Now the fun begins, the pans and filters are different but seem to be interchangable. I can see DC superceding the old pan and filter to the new design. I wonder if the second design oil pans are an attemp at a fix? If you have an automatic Rubicon please e-mail the last 9 digits of your vin# and any problems you have had or if you haven't had any problems e-mail anyway. I will compile the info to see if the new trans pan and filter work better than the old design. I will keep all info confidential and I will not release any info to anybody, so don't send any personal info. Just e-mail your vin# and what sort of problems you have or haven't had. I'm looking for the easiest way to fix this problem, if it is a simple matter of installing the updated pan I will pass that info on to all of you via this forum. [email protected]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Awesome work at this on Ramtuff. Working at a dealership don't you have access to a DC technical line. I remember a while back I talked to an engineer at DC about a technical question and the dealership was able to call and ask. Maybe you could call to find out the reason for the oil pan revision. Might save you some time and effort.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have access to the tech line, but the jeep has to be here with a work order written up, then sit on hold for a half an hour. The way I'm doing it is kinda the hard way but when it's all said and done I should know these things inside out. The first two vin # that were emailed to me were both old design pans and filters. More on this soon.

G

·
0 Posts
pans

seeing as how i work for a dodge dealer i looked up the pans at work and only find one part #,maybe cause im in a us dealer,that maybe the difference,but i just double checked on dealer connnect and still only get one #,ive already called star,mine only had 300 miles on it when i made it loose prime uphill,(a side note here-when the tailpipe hits ground zero,thats usually too steep!!) for those with a delayed engagement on flat land,there is a new tsb concerning this-but dont confuse this with uphill problems, just as another side note ive got a 95ish yj with a 3spd auto,when the spare its ground the tranny stops pulling also,but the rubi seems to do it at less of an angle,imho :?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Are you aloud to post the TSB for the Rubicons online? Would be interesting to see what's going on.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are two part numbers for trans pans for 2003 Rubicons.
52851912AA PAN 05101917AA FILTER ,first design
52851912AB PAN 05101917AB FILTER, second design
If you look at the part numbers they appear to be the same, except for the suffix AA or AB. AA is for Rubicons built up to 01/27/03 and AB is for Rubicons built after 01/27/03. The two pans and filters are not the same, I have both sitting next to me. They will however interchange and it is my opinion that if your built date is pre 01/27/03 and you are experiencing problems when climbing the AB pan AND filter MAY solve them. The pan and filter must be used as a set. By the way, if you are not using DC's STARPARTS then you are missing tons of info when looking up parts.

G

·
0 Posts
Chris,

Will the dealer change out the pans if I have the older one?

Thanks,

Cal

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ultimate decision is up to the service manager. If he agrees then they will warranty it, his concern would be a possible charge back situation from DC. If the claim is denied he would have to explain the repair to his regional rep. to get paid. Some managers don't want the extra hassle of getting involved.

G

·
0 Posts
parts and tsbs

we dont have starparts but if you look the #s supercede to the ab for the pan,didnt check the filter , ill see what issues may arise if i post a tsb, i know i can post the tsb # w/o any trouble,which ill do monday when i get back into townfrom the EROCC event in jellico,tn if the ab pan is deeper then it should definately help with the cavitation issues on hills,as or warrantying the pan, get your tech at your local dealer to call STAR and get them to reccommend the new pan, you mayhave to give the tech a 6 pack of his favorite adult beverage for his aggrevation, but at least youll have the newest pan and filter!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took the pic's 5 minutes ago they will be posted this weekend.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Pics in from Chris....here is the difference in the AA (old tray I believe) and the newer AB.

Chris, at first glance I only see the difference being the grooves at the bottom of the tray...does that make a big difference?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx to Ned for posting the pics. The AA filter draws fluid from higher in the pan. The AB filter has a snorkel on it to draw lower in the pan and the AB pan has an oval shaped dent for the filter to draw it's oil from. It is a very subtle difference but in my opinion it could make a big difference.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Offroader, these are what the two pans look like....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the tranny pans switched to the new style in both of our automatic rubys. Seems to have fixed the problem of dropping out of gear on a steep grade.

Tim

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
TAZMATIC said:
I had the tranny pans switched to the new style in both of our automatic rubys. Seems to have fixed the problem of dropping out of gear on a steep grade.

Tim
Tim

i need the numbers off your jeep workorder
my Rubi crapped out on every hill i tried last thur.
i wana have the info to hand to the dealer
thanks
mac

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Ned....your having this done right now or was done?

mines in the shop has been scince monday. :cry:

just got off the phone with the dealer and THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING! :eek:nfire:
said they cant duplicate the cold start and cant make the tranny fail
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

i offerd my Video as proof the jeep STOPS all forward motion
on a hill climb.

now what?
any advise to get them to WAKE UP and see ther is a problem.
thanks

mac

1 - 20 of 26 Posts