Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Auto trans fluid?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  DoctorD 
#1 ·
Well it's time to change it, and the manual says Mopar type 4,,,,what ever that is. Your typical autoparts stores carry either dexron III for GM or they carry Type FA for Fords.

Anyone know which is equivilent to Mopar type 4? Please enlighten me,,,,this is the first jeep we have had that actually still has the Mopar drivetrain in it :laugh:

#2 ·
You need ATF+4. For a long time it was a Chrysler proprietary synthetic formula and you could only get it at the dealer. I think they have let it out to the aftermarket but I am not sure. I think the ATF+4 is more modified than the dexron or type F fluids (friction modification) so if you cannot find ATF+4 at the local auto parts I would play it safe and go to the dealer.

#3 ·
Mississippi Mudder said:
You need ATF+4. For a long time it was a Chrysler proprietary synthetic formula and you could only get it at the dealer. I think they have let it out to the aftermarket but I am not sure. I think the ATF+4 is more modified than the dexron or type F fluids (friction modification) so if you cannot find ATF+4 at the local auto parts I would play it safe and go to the dealer.
I agree. Use NOTHING BUT ATF+4

No lubegard additives/emulators, no ATF+3, not Dexron, or anything.

An autoparts store carrying nothing but Dexron and Type F is about 30 years behind the times. I stock 6 different types of ATF (Dexron III/Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon SP, ATF+4,Transynd,Crossfire/Sprinter ATF) and still find that I don't have what I need all the time.

#4 ·
Well I guess I am the one behind the times Doctor D,,,,as all my other cars only require dexron III or good old fasion gear oil :laugh: Yes everything I drive is just that old. So that is all a generally keep my eyes open for at the parts stores,,,lol.

Thanks for the replies guys,,,,I will head to the stores and start looking for ATF +4
Cheers, Larry.

#5 ·
If you find it outside of a dealership it would be a big favor to me if you posted up where you found it, etc - my Stealership is SOOOO proud of that crap. I wasn't aware that it had gone aftermarket.

Thanks,
John

#8 ·
That's great news. It's getting close to time again to need it - maybe it won't cost an arm and a leg this time.

J

#10 ·
ATF+4

X2 on Wally World.. They carry Valvoline and an e-cono ATF+4 made by Coastal. :p

#11 ·
I've seen the same thing - not many auto ports stores have the ATF+4. The only brand I've seen is Valvoline and then the stuff at Wally World. It seems like I paid about $5-6 a quarts last fall when I bought the Valvoline brand. I coudl be wrong though on the price.

Like others have said, don't use anything but ATF+4. t-case uses it too.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.