Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received my entire RELA lift and I should be getting the air system soon along with the AiRock system. I was charged the August special and I'd like to pass it along since it is a limited time deal....ie AUGUST ONLY!

In August, you will be able to buy a RE system and AiRock at substantial savings and the Kilby air at a reduction too! Its a big chunk of change, but these are all goodies your gonna need for the system and if you are gonna do it, why not keep a few hundred bucks (I'm saving $380).

Check out Off Road Only for the details: http://offroadonly.com/cgi-local/SoftCa ... ?E+scstore

I'll be running 35's with 6" AiRock on the Rubicon Express Long Arm. Wish me luck on the install! :crazyeyes:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Only 2 weeks left guys. This is the time to buy an AiROCK.

Besides, what are you going to do with all your money?

-Spend it on beer and broads?

-Take it with you?

-Leave it to your ungrateful wife and those disrespectful kids?

:D

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I must hurry.....Jerry we need to talk I guess....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
AirROCK

I was thinking about getting the 6" AirROCK/Rubicon Express package. I see that Ned is going with the 6" Longarm what about you Jerry I think I read somewhere that you have a 4" AirROCK what lift are you running? Any other suggestions or issues like factory warranty or ride I guess I am trying to get a feel for the pro's and con's of 4" vs. 6"

Thanks Jon

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jon,
Do it and never look back! :D

Either way you'll love it, I'm sure.

Just finished up the kilby air system...excellent workmanship as usual from Brad...and a perfect compliment to the quality of AiRock!

SA vs LA .... to be honest, call up Steve at ORO 952 226 4317 He is a good guy and will give it to you straight!

Whada think Jerry?

G

·
0 Posts
OOoooo dang!!! I just went to the link, man that is some bucks.

Your currently running this system on your Rubi????????

So if you need more lift to get over or on something, from inside your Jeep you can give it more lift?

By that same logic, I suppose if your way off camber, you can bring it down for stability????

If so, man I have got to see a rig running this system!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Re: AirROCK

jeppi said:
I was thinking about getting the 6" AirROCK/Rubicon Express package. I see that Ned is going with the 6" Longarm what about you Jerry I think I read somewhere that you have a 4" AirROCK what lift are you running? Any other suggestions or issues like factory warranty or ride I guess I am trying to get a feel for the pro's and con's of 4" vs. 6"

Thanks Jon
Jon:

You're correct. I have a 4" AiROCK with short arms. I did not buy a lift kit and then install the AiROCK. I bought the following components on my own after consulting with various folks, including Steve at ORO last February to complete the job:

JKS adjustable front LCAs
JKS adjustable rear UCAs
JKS disco's
JKS (actually ORGS, same as Currie) adjustable front track bar
JKS (actually ORGS, same as Currie) adjustable rear track bar w/ bracket
RE extended brake lines
RE rear sway bar extensions

That list was worth about $1000 on top of the price of the AiROCK.

If I were to do it over again, I would go for the long arms, but I had this thing in my head at the time about doing all of it myself, staying somewhat closer to stock, yada, yada, yada. I didn't (and still don't) want to drill all those holes in the frame myself to install LAs. And I've still installed everything on my Jeep myself.

If you go with the LAs, you might as well go for the 6 inch AiROCK. It's the same price, so why not? You can't stay with short arms and install a 6 inch AiROCK. The geometry at full height gets too radical for short arms. Although I have 33 inch tires, a 4inch AiROCK will accomodate 35s. A 6 inch will take 37s. But then you're into regearing.

Here's something else to think about. If I install the LAs next year, it will primarily for on-raod ride comfort The AiROCK rides well on the road, but it's still a short armed Jeep, and it's a little bouncy. Very stable, but a little bouncy. Off road the short arms have not been a liliting factor. This suspension is incredible climbing rocks. It just goes wherever you want it to. No sensation of the front lower arms wanting to fold under the Jeep, no lack of flex, it just goes.

Last time out elff and I wheeled together. He had just installed his 35s on his Rubi with a 5.5 LA kit on it, and I was out with 33s and short arms. I still have the stock T/C skid on mine, and of course elff has additional clearance on his T/C due to the LA skid. Here is the one obstacle that I did not attempt:

I think that's definitely a 35 inch tire raised skid type rock. :D

Happy deciding. Either way, you won't regret it.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
WrathOfRubicon said:
OOoooo dang!!! I just went to the link, man that is some bucks.

Your currently running this system on your Rubi????????
Ned is installing his John. I am running an AiROCK on mine.

So if you need more lift to get over or on something, from inside your Jeep you can give it more lift?
Yes, just push the proper button, unless you're maxed out already. A 4 inch AiROCK will give about 7 inches of lift maxed out. The 6 inch will go about 10 inches.

By that same logic, I suppose if your way off camber, you can bring it down for stability????
If you're way off camber, you bring the high side down. In this shot the ride height was about 4 inches and the suspension was fully rocked to the right (from the driver's seat). I rocked it right to avoid the oncoming Jeep eating tree:

If so, man I have got to see a rig running this system!!!!!
So come to Paragon this weekend. We'll be there. I have a writeup here http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=903 on its shakedown run last month.

G

·
0 Posts
Well, I no longer travel east of the Mississippi River, or south of the Mason Dixon line in this country. Hopefully I will come across somebody running it here in the Desert Southwest at some point.
If your curious as to why I don't travel into those areas anymore, it is simply becasue western plates get profiled and hassled by the law enforcement agencies in those areas, after the last time, I vowed never again.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Ned said:
Jon,
Do it and never look back! :D

Either way you'll love it, I'm sure.

Just finished up the kilby air system...excellent workmanship as usual from Brad...and a perfect compliment to the quality of AiRock!

SA vs LA .... to be honest, call up Steve at ORO 952 226 4317 He is a good guy and will give it to you straight!

Whada think Jerry?
Thanks for the info Ned let me know how it turns out when you are done I was thinking about going with the same as what you are doing including the kilby air looks like a good combo.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Re: AirROCK

Thanks Jerry you have been lost of help I cleared everything with my wife yesterday well I didn't tell her about the kilby air or the 35" tires yet I'll do that tomorrow or the next day or the day after that. :?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Robocon said:

6"AiRock/5.5 RE LA-35's :lol:
Looks nice robocon :D did you do the install yourself or do you have a $40,000 Rubi, I figured I would have over 40k into mine if I had someone do the install so I was thinking I would try to do it myself 8)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Re: AiROCK

Ned said:
Congrats!

Lemme tell you. It looks great on the garage floor!

Can't wait to see what it looks like on the Jeep.
Looks like a winter project assembling all that good stuff, I cant’ wait to get started

·
Registered
340 Posts
Still waitin' NED...............!!!!???? :lol:

Kinda dumb really. I ordered some stuff from harbor freight (jack and jack stands)....I'm still waiting for the jack stands! Air is in, a lot of the tubing is in. The lift doesn't really look too bad.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Robocon said:
Jeepi

Did the install w/the help of my good friend Mayberry Mike.While Steve from OFF ROAD ONLY held my hand from 5 states away.AWESOME product w/a great ride!As for the 40k+ .............we will not tell my wife .OK?

Still waitin' NED...............!!!!???? :lol:
Don't worry Robocon I am not saying a word. Thanks for the feedback It will be good to spend quality time with my Rubi out in the garage, I haven't done much of that with my other vehicles (sounds like I am talking about my kids), so far I have enjoyed installing the goodies that I have purchased for my Rubi.

Thanks again, Jon

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Re: AiROCK

Ned said:
... Lemme tell you. It looks great on the garage floor! ...

Ned I think your garage pic scared me, I made an appointment at Xtreme Unlimited in Oceano, CA to have the install done, it will be done by Oct. 17th. I was just kidding about the pic I am just too busy for the rest of this year and I didn't want to wait until next year to get the AiRock installed.

Thanks for your help guy's

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good move! But don't let that pic scare anybody...I had a few things going on when that picture was taken. I'm actually pretty organized. Most of those boxes are RE stuff. ORO is very organized, with good instructions and simple to figure out.

I think Steve had mentioned that the oceano install location is really good, nothing like dropping her off and driving home soon thereafter, all ready to go!

Post some pics, reports on the system and reports on its wheeling improvement! Until mine is in, I'm living vicariously through all you lucky folks who actually HAVE the system to play with! 8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts