Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just found this site and I thought that maybe some of you guys could help me out.

Heres the rig,
03 Rubi
4" Tera long-arm w/ 3/4" spacer on rear, Currie rear adjustable trackbar, upper adjustable control arms.
No t-case drop
Six States CV
305's on stock rims with 1 3/4" wheel spacers

Here's the problem, (Warning LONG story)

Purchased in January, had dealer install lift and CV shaft, BIG MISTAKE. When they installed the new t-case yoke, they didn't machine the I.D. of the yoke to fit all the way onto the t-case output shaft. This left almost a Half inch of play on the output shaft!! And to boot, the CV shaft that we got from Tera was BENT, not outa balance, it was BENT. We pulled out of the dealer lot, felt the HUGE vibration and drove right back. The had to keep it for a week before they could figure out that the shaft was bent (MORONS!!). They recomended that we take the Jeep to Six States, were they discovered the play in the yoke on the t-case and put another CV shaft. Six States machined the yoke and checked the output shaft on the t-case. Output shaft BENT!! Dealer replaced, rather reluctantly. Six States put in GOOD CV-shaft and machined yoke. Vibration still there? Took Jeep back to dealer to diagnose vibration, dealer INSISTS on putting t-case drop spacers in. Did the drop spacers, vib still there! :twisted: Took Jeep back out to Six States, they pull the rear shaft and drive, no vib. Recheck balance on CV-shaft, balance ok!

A couple of weeks later, after a day of wheeling the seal on the output shaft on the t-case blows out on the freeway! T-case looses all of fluid, tow to dealer. Dealer says that, "Whoever put the yoke on the t-case, didn't seat the locating pin for the speedo tone ring." We told them that they were the ones that put the yoke on last, so again they replaced the output shaft (because the locating pin damaged the output shaft when it came loose), again putting up a HUGE fight along the way.

Take jeep back to Six States and leave there for one week while they diagnose. Six States comes up with the idea that the yokes installed on the t-case and rear axle are LOW quality yokes and replace with Spicer parts. Helps with vib, but still there.

I am out of ideas at this point and I am REALLY feed up with the DEALER!!! :mad:

The vib is a fairly consistant at 40+ mph, but it is kind of a harmonics type thing, it pulses in and out more than once a second.

Here is the statues of the t-case at this point.

Skid plate raised, pinion set by Six States, Vib at the lowest since dealer **** UP!

HELP???? :cry:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
This is why I decided on a Tom Woods driveshaft for my Rubi. Woods' design does not require you to remove the stock output shaft from the transfer case. But you've been there and done that...

A number of members have reported a harmonic vibe at 40+ mph. I have a slight harmonic on mime at about 55+, but I know my pinion angle is off. (Tomorrow's task.)

A few owners who have installed aftermarket T/C skids report that fixed their harmonic vibes. The aftermarket skids appear to be stiffer than the stock skid. HTH.

Jerry

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
sorry to hear about the vibes....
man it sucks.... i had vibes for a few weeks.

i know sounds crazy but know im only giving my honest .02.

suggest they put the harmonic bal thing back on and get a TW shaft.
make sure the pinion angles are set 1 to 2 degs lower the the output
of the transfer case.

thing in your fav.... the dealer did the work.
dont give up THEY HAVE TO MAKE IT RIGHT!

mac

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JerryC said:
A few owners who have installed aftermarket T/C skids report that fixed their harmonic vibes. The aftermarket skids appear to be stiffer than the stock skid. HTH.

Jerry
Really? An aftermarket skid plate? I would have never thought that this could make a difference. What brands are out there for the Rubi? Are they all "Belly-up" type skids? If they are, do you have to do a 1" body lift and a 1" Motor Mount lift?

Thanx for the input :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4x4mac said:
suggest they put the harmonic bal thing back on and get a TW shaft.

thing in your fav.... the dealer did the work.
dont give up THEY HAVE TO MAKE IT RIGHT!

mac
The TW shaft is the next step.

The problem with the dealer is that they claim the vehicle is fine and that the vibration is normal for ANY lifted Jeep. Well I also have owned a 2000 TJ with a 4" Rubicon lift, a 95 YJ with a 4" Tuff Country lift, my best friends have a 98 TJ with almost 7", and the other friend has a 97 TJ with almost 6" and 38's. NONE of these vibrated like the Rubi. I am just afraid that after some miles stuff is going to start going bad, with that vibration beating of things.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
RubiRed said:
The TW shaft is the next step.

The problem with the dealer is that they claim the vehicle is fine and that the vibration is normal for ANY lifted Jeep. Well I also have owned a 2000 TJ with a 4" Rubicon lift, a 95 YJ with a 4" Tuff Country lift, my best friends have a 98 TJ with almost 7", and the other friend has a 97 TJ with almost 6" and 38's. NONE of these vibrated like the Rubi. I am just afraid that after some miles stuff is going to start going bad, with that vibration beating of things.
RubiRed,
dont let them BS....you.
Tom W. is locted in UT. should be quick to get a D. S.

i have owned lifted jeeps and all had vibe issues
all got RESOLVED.
keep us imformed.
mac

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay So I want to hear more about the aftermarket skid plate. Who makes them? Is there a belly up to replace the HUGE factory one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts