Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering I've seen a few on JP's driving around town and such but rarely see them mentioned on the boards and was just wondering if there was something wrong with them.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
This is a weird one.
I know 4 people who have the 8" RockRunner lifts and they have been really solid. One of the guys broke one of the Lower Control arms because he messed up his line, and even after letting Skyjacker know it was his fault, they sent him a free replacement.

So far, these kits are all fairly young on these 4 jeeps [less than 2 years] so they have not run into the heim joints wearing down, but that seems to be a big complaint, as does the weird bracket that is installed on the front axle for the upper control arms.

Performance wise, their jeeps flex like crazy and ride really nice on the road.

The Rubicon Express hit, however, seems to be the Long Arm kit of choice for Rubicon owners. It has proved to be pretty bullet proof.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would love to get a 6" skyjacker kit but I can't swallow the price tag, maybe thats why you don't see them very often.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have seen 2 Jeeps with the 8" SJ kit installed. Both of them are clunky and the heims are wearing out. When they are first installed they ride beutifully, better than stock. After they get some use, they start clunking and the heims wear really quick. There is a guy who is already on his 3rd set of heims. To Skyjacker's credit, they did redesign their heims and they always replaced them quickly. Of course, he was selling their product to other people so I take that quick service with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A friend has broken rod ends 3 times on the control arms. The heims are noisy as well. Ser vice appears to be the strong point

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had the 8" RR kit on my old TJ. It was junk! Heims wore out, tracbar setup in front is the biggest POS in the industry!!!!!!!!!!!!! Discos broke frequently, control arm bracketry out back cracked on a bud's rig, the large relocation brackets put alot of stress on tracbar/UCA mount, causing it to rip off.

In the time I owned the Jeep, I replaced F&R tracbars, several LCa heims, several UCA heims, front brake lines, discos 4x, and gay ass tracbar relocation bracket twice.

Don't be different, get what works...I kciked myself for getting the Sj kit after dealing with it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
SkyHighTJ said:
I

Don't be different, get what works....

That is very good advise......

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. My question was mostly out of curiosity. Before I got into jeeps it seemed like I saw mostly Skyjacker and a few Superlift. I guess some of this could be that both's headquaters are somewhat near me.

I really like the JKS arms but I also like the theory behind the LA. Any lift I do in the near future would be a BB or OME with a new skid. Long term hope is the AiRock long arm.

Thanks again,
James

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just opinion here....

But Skyjacker stuff seems second rate to me. A lot of advertising (not necessarily a bad thing) sold in a lot of 4X4 "7-11's" (4 wheel parts). They just seem to be easy bolt on's for the mass market shops.

Things may have changed lately cuz they seem to advertise to a different market (then again, this might just be marketing).

I went RE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts