Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an ARB snorkel on my Rubicon. Everything went fine for the most part. Routing the air hose was a royal PITA. I ended up going behind the battery tray and barely had enough room.

My question is - should I plug the small drain hole in the bottom of the stock air box? This will definitely allow some water in if I go that deep. I don’t plan on hitting mud/water that deep but want to be prepared if I misjudge something. If I plug it, any water that makes it in through rain will have nowhere to go except to the engine. Any comments?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I ran a snorkel for about 4 years now. My whole setup is sealed. The stock airbox will get some water in it from rain, but much less than if you were doing a river crossing and left that hole open.

The water does not seem to effect anything. Make sure you run a K&N or some other oil based filter. The stock ones get soggy and ruined from the water.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve...........all this talk and NO PICS?

What gives?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Steve, the tube for the intake SHOULD NOT be crimped at all! I realise it is very tight where you route the hose under/behind the batt ray, but in order to not crimp the tube and restrict air flow, you have to remove the battery, removes the brace/mount for the battery tray. Four of the bolts are accessed in the wheel well I believe. Anyhow the vaccuum box shoudl be mounted to that brace, chances are thats what got in your way, even if they moved it on newer TJ's its still damn tight.

So once you have the brace out, trim the opening where you slide the hose through, you can tale a good 2-3" of the edge material off the bracket to allow alot more un-restricted air flow. I know ARB says NOTHING about this in their accessories, but I did notice mine was crimped and felt that I shoudl make sure that it was getting MAx airflow....just my .02

·
Registered
561 Posts
BTW in response to your post, yes I used silicone to block every drain hole I coudl thin of. Also remeber your rig is far from able to swim now. You must make sure you raise ALL breathers in order to not take in water.

Also even with breathers raised, check fluids often...that front axle loves to suck in water by the little plastic donuts near the u-joints. I haven't tested my theory yet, but everyone says that the d-30 outers are the same as well as axle tubes....so I'm thinking the DTD dana 30 axle tube seals would fit... I had these onmy odl TJ, and let me say they were one of the best mods I did, you never had to worry about swamp gears in the front axle anymore after playing in the deep stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did see a write up that showed cutting the brace like you are talking about. I was able to get the hose wrapped around behind the battery tray without crimping it. It's tight and turns more than I would like but it's not compressed anywhere. I don't think airflow is restricted but the sharp turns may hinder performance. I did notice a slight increase in performance after the install. Might all be in my head but I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I remember hearing about a system where you connected all your breather lines to a low pressure compressor which would keep the axles at a pressure just above atmosphere. Great idea if it does more than just force the oil and grease out of the axle.

·
Registered
561 Posts
TJ steve-
Got any pictures? I see you have the silver too, I have been debating cutting the hole in the new one:(....prob will but woudl liek to see pics first...TIA!

as far as the compressor...i dunno....sounds like one more thing to go wrong!!!!! Raise the breathers and be done with it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been debating lately between the K&N FIPK (or similar open element) or a snorkel. I've never run a snorkel and I'm trying to weigh the cost / benefit of each. Any input would be great.

Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts