Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I load my TJ with a lot of gear to camp in the back country. I run Air Lift 1000 bags in my springs and really like the ride around town and off road when NOT loaded down. I'm having a problem with the bags failing when the Jeep is loaded (overloaded??:frown2:)
Is anyone running heavy duty air bags that work? If I go to the big axle mounted bags I'm afraid they won't stay in place with off road suspension articulation.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have the Air lift 1000 on my TJ, haven't had any problems with them, how are they failing?, have you checked for leaks?

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
I had them in for many years. They are on my shop floor right now.

I never once had any issues with them. Only thing I can thing of being a problem with these is the bump stop is also inside the spring. No extended bump stops allowed. I never once had a rubbing issue. Articulation was just about what it was pre-bags.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ve been using them for years. Mine just started to leak and I’m trying to chase it down. No luck so far. Been spraying lines and bags with dish soap water. Any body have a better idea

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
I’ve been using them for years. Mine just started to leak and I’m trying to chase it down. No luck so far. Been spraying lines and bags with dish soap water. Any body have a better idea

Chasing a leak can be tough. Only "fixable" leaks you can have is at the hose to bag (which can be hard to get to) at the Tee, or at the valve stem. Make sure and check the valve core.

Don't tell anyone I told you this, but I actually dabbed clear Gorilla glue around the brass bag stem before pushing the tube on. Don't put glue in the tube. Let the glue sit over night. No leaks. Just almost impossible to ever remove again.

Those bags themselves seldom leak. I have a set of sleeves that were originally installed on a '99 Dodge Dakota. Then I put them on an '01 1500, then the went on a '08 1500. They are still great.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a friend that is a wizard at adding tecnical stuff to his off road ride. He installed air bags, pump and compressed air tank with an ability to air each bag individually. He chased a leak or leaks for quite some time. Finally got it sorted but took him awhile. Something about air under pressure that can be a demon!

Some times motel it, Navaho reservation at Canyon de Chelley 2019, Thunderbird lodge a really clean nice place to stay, restaurant not so good but this motel is really nice and clean and run by the Navaho nation.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How do you install these air bags. Do you have to pull the springs? What are the tricks. I have a set that I want to put in the rear - not sure how easy or hard they go on. Thanks!!! LBM

·
Administrator
10,777 Posts
You have to remove the shocks and jack up the frame so the axle droops, if you don't have enough room to stick a bag in the spring you might need to remove the control arms. At least this is what I would need to do on my LJ.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
How do you install these air bags. Do you have to pull the springs? What are the tricks. I have a set that I want to put in the rear - not sure how easy or hard they go on. Thanks!!! LBM
If you remove the little red plug from the air bag you can crush down the bag to empty it of air and put the cap/plug back on. In theory you can then force the bag between the decompressed coils. I think it may be an exercise in frustration.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My leaks were where the hose slides on the bag. Simple fix, cut off and slide back on. I installed by jacking up each corner separately on bumper to expand the coil spring and slid the bag in between. I’ve had them over 10 years and think it’s a great product.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts