1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
531 Posts
I put Kicker speakers from Mopar into my Jk. They were a improvement but are just not up to the same standard as a whole system. These would be the same, it all depends how much of a improvement you want.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put Kicker speakers from Mopar into my Jk. They were a improvement but are just not up to the same standard as a whole system. These would be the same, it all depends how much of a improvement you want.
Thanks. I should have mentioned that I'm running a Sony XAV-AX-200 head unit but the system sounds very dull and hollow. Wondering if its possible to get decent sound without having to go with one or more amps, simply due to the acoustics in the JKU...

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
I replaced my '04 front and soundbar speakers with Rockford Fosgate speakers when it was brand new. They are obviously different model speakers but the ones I have still sound as good as the day I got them. The ones you have here have foam surrounds, I would lean toward a speaker with rubber surrounds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ones you have here have foam surrounds, I would lean toward a speaker with rubber surrounds.
Thanks. Is the reason that rubber surrounds are more resistant to moisture/dust? Or that they sound better? I've been out of car audio for 10+ years and not paying much attention to the latest innovations. I always thought of rubber surrounds as being less efficient and also less responsive. Perhaps that is no longer the case. Efficiency is important as I don't plan to add amp(s).

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I use MM series Polk Audio in the sound bar and front positions and a 12" Sony woofer behind my drivers seat. I can't remember what sub I put in the console. My head unit is either Alpine or Pioneer. I can't remember. LOL I went thru two RF amps with the same issue so I ditched RF and got this one which is far superior. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0728K1GD4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use this to drive the 12" Woofer. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BLQ2T9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Thanks. Is the reason that rubber surrounds are more resistant to moisture/dust? Or that they sound better? I've been out of car audio for 10+ years and not paying much attention to the latest innovations. I always thought of rubber surrounds as being less efficient and also less responsive. Perhaps that is no longer the case. Efficiency is important as I don't plan to add amp(s).
Rubber surround speakers are by no means a latest innovation... my home speakers that are 42 years old have rubber surrounds. And yes they are more resistant to moisture and dry rot. I know you have a JK but anyone with a TJ can tell you what happened to their factory center console sub after about six years... get out the vacuum to clean up the remnants of a speaker foam surround! Of course, technology may have improved in the foam compounds used these days and I could be completely wrong.
If you're worried about the responsiveness of a speaker with rubber vs foam surrounds just compare the acoustic characteristics data between several speaker models.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rubber surround speakers are by no means a latest innovation... my home speakers that are 42 years old have rubber surrounds. And yes they are more resistant to moisture and dry rot. I know you have a JK but anyone with a TJ can tell you what happened to their factory center console sub after about six years... get out the vacuum to clean up the remnants of a speaker foam surround! Of course, technology may have improved in the foam compounds used these days and I could be completely wrong.
If you're worried about the responsiveness of a speaker with rubber vs foam surrounds just compare the acoustic characteristics data between several speaker models.
Ah. duh, I was thinking of the CONE not the surround. Total brain fart. heh.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks. I should have mentioned that I'm running a Sony XAV-AX-200 head unit but the system sounds very dull and hollow. Wondering if its possible to get decent sound without having to go with one or more amps, simply due to the acoustics in the JKU...
I was in a 2019 Ram with the high end system and I am never going to be happy with my JK now. If you go with speakers only will that be the end of it or should you just go all in right now?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’ll be the end of it for now. I’ve done a couple trucks with multi-amp systems and I’ve got no time or need right now to do another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like the Mopar 77Kick10 speakers are a very popular upgrade but I can’t find their sensitivity rating anywhere... also hard to know what the actual speaker diameter is. The RF units look like the actual speaker is only about 5” across.

Is the opening 6.5 or 6.75 inches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts