Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My jeep is almost a completely dedicated trail rig. I want to keep it street legal, but feel that the air bags are probably more of a possible hazard now than any protection. I don't do much highway miles, it is trailered most of the time for the highway. The longest highway will be coming back to Moab after running Pritchet Canyon, or something like that.

Anyways, I'm thinking of removing the air bags. I plan on selling the steering wheel and all the cruise control components, and replacing it with a removable steering wheel. Any ideas for the passenger side airbag?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
if your truly wanting to remove them, disconnect the battery and let the whole jeep sit for a few hours so the airbag system can fully discharge. then you can pull the bags. you might as well pull the computer for it that sits on the driiveshaft tunnel in front of the shifter.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
i did the driver side for a removable steering wheel very simple
plan on removing the passanger after the wheeln holiday
its soo damn easy it isnt funny no need to be paranoid like i was .
pm sent

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
JimmyB said:
if your truly wanting to remove them, disconnect the battery and let the whole jeep sit for a few hours........
IIRC the FSM says something like 60 seconds. I waited 10 minutes.

·
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kidmugg said:
Quick question to OP, are removing airbags for an on-road vehicle illegal? I pulled my fuse so I can put the baby seat in the front seat.
Good question. I'll take a look at what I can find. I'll stop by a local inspection place too - I need to get it inspected soon, and I need to know if they are going to say anything about the fact that my jeep no longer has seat belts (5-point harnesses are installed).

·
Registered
60 Posts
kidmugg said:
Quick question to OP, are removing airbags for an on-road vehicle illegal? I pulled my fuse so I can put the baby seat in the front seat.
In WV you have to keep them,so I pull the fuse for the car seat and wheelin.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,122 Posts
you will throw codes, in most places you can not pass inspection with a code showing.

·
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Elwarpo said:
you will throw codes, in most places you can not pass inspection with a code showing.

I read that removing the air bag controller (or at least unplugging it) will not throw a code.

As far as airbags a "must" for inspection - I've seen more than one car with expended air bags and current inspection stickers. I'll pass it by the inspection place when I get over there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts