Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a Rubicon, and my eventual plans would call for a mild lift and tire upgrade, bumpers, etc. The problem I have is that I always talk about "upgrading," but never seem to get around to it. Well, I ran across the AEV website, ( http://www.aev-conversions.com ) and discovered that they sell brand new Jeeps modified to your hearts desire. Has anyone heard anything about this company, and by looking at their modifications listed on their website, are they using good products? I've heard good things about ARB bullbars, RE tire carriers, OME suspension, etc., etc. I was just curious if the combinations these guys offer are well thought out. When it comes to price, it seems that these guys may actually be cheaper than me fixing up a Rubi myself due to the fact that I wouldn't have to pay sales tax on the modifications, and here in my home state (New Mexico), stock Rubi's are being marked up quite a bit. A well optioned Rubi in Albuquerque is going for around $31,500! I spec'd one out on AEV's calculator with lift, winch, bumpers, and it actually came out to less money than at the dealership! Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks....

G

·
0 Posts
Interesting new concept in selling vehicles for sure....

To be where I want to be, I would still have needed to put more mods on.... I wonder what a finance company would think of it though????

It does sound like they have had some issues getting people product though....

I have worked extra hard during all my mods to make sure my rig is never down for any extended periods of time as I think that would just drive me really crazy..

If you go further with them, and especialy if you order, I am sure we would all want to know your expeirences with them.

Do they warranty their vehicles? ect..ect..ect..????

G

·
0 Posts
Interesting, mine came out quite a bit higher, and I ended up with less total lift..

If you want a decent deal on a Rubi you can custom order it from cardirect.com and pay MSRP everytime. They select a dealer in your area where you simply go pick it up and sign the already done paperwork.

I like the fact that right on my sticker for the vehicle it says in big bold letters...

"This vehicle is specialy custom built for John Stockton"

Also beware of the dual and hard top otions, which seem great, but many around Denver here complain about not getting half doors with those options.

Out of dumb luck logic, I ended up getting just the soft top, but I loves my half doors!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I saw a vehicle over the weekend that was done by AEV. It looked really good. I am not sure it was an AEV purchased Jeep but it had the rockers, ARB lockers, wheels, and snorkel like the AEV vehicles. It was also color=orange]bright orange[/color]. It was owned by ARB rep for the Pacific Northwest; really nice guy (I have his card if anyone up in the PNW states wants to get a hold of him and get some info out of him).

In my opinion, their rockers are the best in the business and the wheels look awesome. They do a great job on their Jeeps.

G

·
0 Posts
I bought mine from Casa in Albuquerque, however, it was ordered for me (no floor-planning cost for the dealer). I paid invoice less rebates. Total purchase price was just under $23,000. It happened to arrive at the moment when the rebates were the highest they had been for the year.

Dan

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
we have a member Arizona
JD is a great guy.....he has an Awsome Rubi..same color as Elff.

here is a link to his Rubi..
http://www.cardomain.com/id/aevrubicon

all the bs i went thru... ordering i wish i had gone and gotten an AEV.
:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
I think that you would be hard pressed to find someone that doesn't think the AEV products and vehicles are top notch. Every vehicle or part they build is almost a piece of artwork, however speaking from personal experience I can say that there customer service / order fulfillment leaves something to be desired. I ordered one of their rear XJ bumpers / tire carriers on June 26th, 2001...the day I picked up my then new XJ. It's now been 2 years, 1 month, and 4 days and not only do I not have my bumper but I have not heard anything from AEV concerning my order since December 2001 (last time I called to find out my orders status). I'm sure you're thinking "Why didn't I just buy something else?"...well I have yet to find a rear bumper set up that looks and fits as good as theirs, so I am living with the tire on the roof carrier and a stock rear bumper. What really is irritating about the whole deal was that when I first placed my order they kept saying "8-10 weeks, 8-10 weeks"...after following up with them on several occasions and hearing about 8 different excuses I gave up on trying to get a straight answer out of them so I just told them to ship it if and when they ever built them. Since it sounds like you are looking at a vehicle vs. just some bolt item I would certainly hope their follow through is a bit better. One other thing to consider is that they tend to have some Rubi's already built up sitting on the lot (not sure if it's AEV's dealership or a local dealer)...might save you a headache buying one they've already got done. Sorry for pissing and moaning about this but thought it might be of interest.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I have mostly heard good things about AEV. They are mildly built and come with warranties, sounds dang good to me.

G

·
0 Posts
For an interesting read, buy the September edition of '4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility' magazine. There is a full feature article, with some lovely photos, about AEVs 'Brute' , a TJ-based pickup truck.

We're talkin' 35 inch MTRs, D44/D60, ARB lockers, in a 5.9 litre powered TJ pick up truck. The magazine said the quality of workmanship was so high that you would swear the vehicle was a factory production unit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the feedback! I still have some time before I make my final decision. At that point it will be decision making time regarding which options to choose....2.5" OME/32's vs. 3.75"AEV/33's, hard vs. soft top, Currie rear bumper vs. RE rear bumper, winch vs. no winch, etc., etc..

RubiDan,

That's interesting that you said you got your from CASA in Albuquerque for just under $23,000. That's surprising, because that is where I saw two different Rubi's this past weekend for right around $31,500. It sounds like you got a great deal....the type of deal that even the folks up in Farmington (Advantage Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep) would be envious of, as they are commonly regarded as having the best deals here in the northern half of the state.

Thanks again everyone for all of the replies!

G

·
0 Posts
Keep in mind tha Currie Helldorado, too. It's quickly becoming the most highly praised turnkey alternative to the Rubicon.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Yea, you could find a 97 Sport for about $9000 and spend $17000 at Currie to build you a Helldorado. That's about the same price as a Rubi and though it's used and doesn't have the creature comforts of a new Rubi, you have a much more capable Jeep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts