Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the is a kit to add a air bag switch, but it is $$$ and the stock type switch is only $30.00. Has anybody tried wiring one in?
Either way I'll be trying it next Tuesday.

Hmm. We need a Guinea pig emoticon :silly:

G

·
0 Posts
There are several of us who want to do the same thing.
Let us know how well you make out with the install,

Cal

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One important thing I have discovered is that the switch from an older TJ will NOT work correctly. The light will go on and it will appear to work, but the results will not be predictable as the control wires have changed their function in 2003.

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks for that info. I have a switch from a 2000 TJ and was going to try to install it. Will wait for your results. :D
Cal

G

·
0 Posts
Please, pictures and details!
I want to do this but have recurring dreams of the airbag going off when I turn on the Jeep :shock:
Will probably do the locker fix at the same time as I figure the dash will be apart anyway.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cal said:
Thanks for that info. I have a switch from a 2000 TJ and was going to try to install it. Will wait for your results. :D
Cal
Looking again I think you could make it work, but in order to make it work you have to follow the wiring schematic for the older TJs, not the 2003.
In other words you have to wire it to the squib lines not the control lines (which previously didn't exist)

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks Mud Puppy,

I have an FSM for 2003, butnot for earlier. I will see if the tech at the dealer will help me out. He has been great so far. :bowing:

Cal

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Mud Puppy said:
Just remember - it looks like it would work, but no promises from me.
famous last words...."looks like it will work"
:roll:

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was not aware there was a dealer kit, I know you said it would be $$$ but I have a kid that may sit in the frt seat if I can get the airbag disable switch installed. I'd rather be safe and use the 2003 parts, but my dealer claims he is not aware of any kit

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is about $195.00

I can get you the part number wednesday if you need it.
Or you can ask your dealer to look up the air bag disable for a 2003 TJ SE. If you look on the exploded parts view of the dash and then go to the parts list you will find two air bag switches listed - the factory one and the dealer installed "kit"

·
Registered
478 Posts
My information states that the airbag switch you guys are refering to only turns off the passenger side bag. If you want to disable both airbags, pull the fuses. Cavity #5 and #9 inside your fuse box located behaind the glove box.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The fuse in cavity #9 is for the passenger air bag. I just looked at mine it takes two seconds to pull the fuse. The air bag ligh twill come on, it will go out after the fuse is reinstalled and the computer will reset itself if the igntion is turn off then on again.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ramtuff said:
The fuse in cavity #9 is for the passenger air bag. I just looked at mine it takes two seconds to pull the fuse. The air bag ligh twill come on, it will go out after the fuse is reinstalled and the computer will reset itself if the igntion is turn off then on again.
Nope. This is a very common misconception. There are two air bag fuses, but they are not left and right they are switched power and a start/run power lead. Remove either fuse and BOTH air bags are disabled.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I will not argue these facts as I am not prepared to be the test dummy. But the service manual clearly states that by pulling the fuse in cavity #9 you deactivate the passenger airbag indicator driver, the passenger airbag sense switch, and the passenger air bag return switch in the air bag control module. These are the same curcuits that the passenger airbag deactivation switch would be attached to if it was installed. info taken from page 8w-43-2 in the 2003 TJ service manual.
If you have anymore info on this please forward it too me, I'm always wanting to learn more about TJs and Jeeps in general!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm looking at that page now, and unless there is something different between our copies I have to argue the point.

Fuse 9 is a run/start connection to pin 17 n hte control module and to the light[/i] on the air bag switch.

Fuse 10 is a switched power lead going to pin 20 on the control module.

The air bag switch connects to pins 11 and 22 on the control module. No direct connection to either fuse, and the switch itself is not a on/off switch, it chooses between two levels of resistance which the module uses to indicate whether to turn the air bag off, which is attached to pins 5 and 6 of the module.

Nowwhere do I see any indication that pulling fuse 9 will only disable one air bag. If you manual shows otherwise (or if I am reading this wrong) please elaborate.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I believe I remember reading in the owners manual it stating removing one fuse for disabling the passenger airbag and another to disable the drivers side. I checked the FSM and couldn't find the same info though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts