Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a problem with their rubi rims loading up with mud so bad than when you hit the road you get the death wobble at any speed over 38 mph?????? Hate this!!! Gotta stop and clean them throughly to make this go away. Where I go, it is sometimes running through a dirt/mud road and on to the next one via pavement. Can't do this if your rims get mudded up.

Also, anyone else have problems with their MTRs losing chunks out of the treads? All 4 show chunking, cuts, and tears. If I take these back to Goodyear, are they gonna claim abuse? Shouldn't the tires be able to stand up to this?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I haven't seen either of these problems at all. However, in our area, the ground isn't totally thawed yet and there is a lot of standing water to clean the rims out nicely. As far as the tires go, I would take them back to Goodyear. They are certainly marketed as a rockcrawling tire so if there are chunks being ripped out of them then you are actually abusing them or you got duds.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would constitute abuse? Yes, I've rock crawled, and yes they spun and then grabbed a few times. Would this be considered abusing your tires? or should they be able to hold up to this?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
you play in mud and you will have balance issues until they are cleaned properly.. There is nothing that you can do about this..Especially if you are playing in that nasty clay like mud..

As for the tire wear it can't hurt to ask a goodyear dealer but I have wheeled a set of 33's hard and what is happening to your tires sounds normal to me.. A pic of the tire wear/damage would help in deciding if it is a compound issue that can be fought for with goodyear or your dealership..If you can post a pix of the tires that would be cool..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my area "clay " is to blame! If you know your going to go to an area that sticky mud is expected, you could spray the inside of rims with any silicon spray or lubricant that will stop sticking. Works for ice in winter too. I probably don’t have to tell any one but Do NOT get it on your rotors!. Im to lazy for that so I Just deal with it. Some times the clay around here wont even come off at the car wash. Try not to let the Jeep set over night when covered in clay. It will turn to brick by the next day. I envy people from the “Dry West”!

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Pa_Rubicon said:
In my area "clay " is to blame! If you know your going to go to an area that sticky mud is expected, you could spray the inside of rims with any silicon spray or lubricant that will stop sticking. Works for ice in winter too. I probably don’t have to tell any one but Do NOT get it on your rotors!. Im to lazy for that so I Just deal with it. Some times the clay around here wont even come off at the car wash. Try not to let the Jeep set over night when covered in clay. It will turn to brick by the next day. I envy people from the “Dry West”!
just got home and the temp mirror shows 111 deg`s
im ready for some wet mud!
used to live near cleavland natl F. in so cal
nasty clay would turn the bottom of the jeep a weird brownish grey.. nothing took that color off.
i tried a spray veg oil worked for a few minutes... not worth the effort.
:wink:

·
Registered
43 Posts
based on my experiences, your tire wear problems are normal. ive never had a set of tires that didnt chunk, get cuts, or tear. my rubi has not been wheeled, so i cant speak for the goodyear MTR. but compound is critical in crawling in different weather. the euro's for example make a better tire for holding rocks in the rain or wet. its like a true balata golf ball (maxfli for instance), vs any long distance ball. for grip and spin, you trade off the tendency to put smiley faces on the outside of the ball if you hit it incorrectly.

im kind of more curious about the MTR's new so called side wall technology and its ability to hold up to tree roots and sharp rocks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just had my Rubi out a couple weeks back and got some pretty extensive chunking while playing in the rocks. I don't think I was doing anthing too severe and I certainly wasn't spinning on rocks. I'm not worrying about it though, it looks like its normal to me.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have been on my TrXus for a while now. I have had them in mud and on the rocks at Paragon and I don't have any chunking and the only split I have is on one of the sipings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts