Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To date I have a 2" coil spacer, a nth degree skid, woods double cardan, adjustable rear upper control arms, bilstein 5100's.

The pinion is set 2-3 degrees below the drive shaft.
The the shocks do not touch anything.
The rear track bar is hitting the gas tank skid.

The left rear shock snapped about midway up the rod. No impact. No hard wheeling.

Neither the dealer or the shop that installed the shocks had ever seen one break like that.

Any ideas?

Nick

G

·
0 Posts
What does the break look like?

Is it rough in one part, and smooth in others (may have a rust spot) = It was cracked some time ago, and has been wearing until it could no longer with stand the forces acting on it.

Is it rough all the way across, and flacky = Casting defect

I'd have to take a good look at it for better ideas, but those are a couple of common ones.

Ron

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The break was rough all the way across. There was a small section on one side of the shaft that broke lower than the rest. (kind of like a "D" with the roung side pointing down)

Still can't figure out what could have caused it. Again, would welcome any thoughts.

Nick

G

·
0 Posts
I would think that it was a casting defect, or a defect during hardening. Sounds like a clean snap, so I would lean towards some type of defect.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Could it be a defect (something should bend before the rod breaks) + shock length problem?

(BTW - I wouldn't think the rods are cast.)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Give Blistine a call and speak with them on it. If and most likley a manufacture defect they should know about it. If they don't already then they will now. Send them an email with a pic of it. If they become dificult then get the place that sold them to you to make the call and get a new shock. This is not something that you did by anymeans. Shock mounts break, Cans get bent but Rods shouldn't break.

Sean

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanksl for the input. I asked the shop to send it back for replacement. I'll let you all know what happens.

Nick

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bilstein says they won't warranty the shock. According to ORW they will not replace a shock for any reason if the shaft breaks.

I still can't figure out what could have caused it to break like that. I did no wheelin' of any kind. Just normal driving around.

Nick

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well, that convinces me never to buy Bilstein. If they won't even warantee a shock that fails due to an obvious manufacturing defect then why would I want to spend money on their product. Especially since there are so many other good shocks on the market.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Final follow up.

After taking a very close look at the shock again, I found a very small but distinct contact point on the shock can. Combinded with the pressure of rolling the axel up, the shock must have been under pressure, so it did not take much impact to break it.

I blame me, not Bilstein.

Education is expensive......

Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts