Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just ordered a Uniden 520XL radio and am curious where other people have mounted theirs. With a soft top I figure I will have to add an external speaker to hear it on the freeway with the top down (even then I may not be able to hear it). On trails it will be fine.

I also got a firestick 3" antenna to mount off the third brake light. Hope this combo works well. On my 98TJ I had a Cobra Classic that worked great.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
556 Posts
for now i have the mounting bracket tiewrapped to the center roll bar. It faces the wrong way but I mainly use it for trail only so I do not change the channel often. I have also see the mount velcroed to the little tray on the top of the dash. I mounted my 3'firestik off the 3rd breaklight too and get great trail performance. Cant say for highway though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am probably going to mount it on the backside of the centre console. I don't use the rear seat so that seems like a half decent place. I like the CB rack idea to mount it overhead but I am waaaaay too cheap to pay for a CB mount.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xlrrp said:
Just ordered a Uniden 520XL radio and am curious where other people have mounted theirs.
I just installed one of these this weekend. I'll try to get some pic's to post for you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put mine on the front of the center console, fits just fine...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up mounting it in front of the center console like Hankenstein said. It does fit very well in that spot. Had to drill two small holes, so it looks like the CB will stay in that place as I don't want to replace the console if I move the CB.

I wired it directly to the battery (have to make sure I shut it off at night) and mounted my Firestick to the center of the 3rd brakelight.

QUESTION.........

I get more static than I'd like. Part of it may be from not yet tuning the antenna, but do I also need to run a ground wire from the antenna mount to something grounded like the spare tire mount?????? The antenna is mounted to plastic right now!

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
454 Posts
The more grounding the better IMHO. I have my antenna grounded at the actual antenna and I have also grounded the chassis of the radio. Grounding to the spare tire carrier is OK but I wouldn't consider it a solid ground. I would suggest running a seperate wire and bolting it to either the body or the frame. Make sure it is making contact to metal and not paint. That should give you the best ground possible. If you still get noise, then you have other problems.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Xlrrp, do you get the static when the engine is off, or when running?

If when running, it is probably alternator noise (a high frequency hum that increases with engine speed) and you will need an inductive choke in series with your power lead to filter out the noise.

If you are getting static when the engine is off, you definately need to provide a better ground wire at the antenna base. I agree with Triver, connect a multiple conductor braided ground strap between your antenna base and to the frame. Make sure the connections are clean of rust and/or paint and use a dielectric paste at the connection points.

Based on where you mounted your antenna, your signal will be very directional even after you tune the antenna for a VSWR < 2:1, so you may well have dead zones in coverage. Nothing you can do about it without moving your antenna. You can also improve coverage if you want to ground to the body as well, but most people hate removing the paint to get to bare metal.

The best place to mount any 1/4 wave antenna, is where it can have a large flat horizontal surface to act as a reflected 1/4 wave impedance to the antenna. This gives a near perfect donut shaped radiation pattern around the top of the antenna. However, this would require that it be mounted in the center of your hood - not likely. Next best would be to use a mount that places the antenna near the hood on the front of the vehicle - many companies make these mounts too. They work very well, but are considered either ugly and/or hamper visibility, so you don't see them very often.

One last thing, make sure the excess transmission cable is not coiled in a tight loop, as this can damage the coax as well as change its characteristic impedence. This will create tuning problems for some frequncies across the band which creates a higher than desired VSWR .

The firestick is a good antenna choice, top loaded and adjustable.

Ken

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys....

Ken, the static is when the engine is running. Where can I find a " inductive choke"? Would Radio Shack carry it?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Yes, Radio Shack will carry it. Make sure it is rated for more current than your fuse is since it is in series with your power source. This rating ensures it won't saturate so maximum noise will be blocked.

Have a great day.

Ken

Edited to include Radio Shack part number - 270-030

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is how I installed my Uniden. It is the 510 but I think it is very similar to the 520's dimensions:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts